We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young Traveller - where to stay!

5 posts
Save Topic
Young Traveller - where to stay!

Hey,

I am travelling to Koh Samui and the other islands in a few weeks. Koh Phangan seems a travellers paradise so i feel i should be able to find accomodation there when looking on the internet. Koh Tao seems a little tricky as does Koh Samui.

Im 26, single and a pretty social guy, but also want opportunity for relaxation - not just a constant party. I dont mind jumping in a cab or renting a bike though to get to relaxing beaches. When looking at koH Samui - inevitably Chaweng comes cropping up. I hear mixed reviews thats its full on very young drunk people aswell as being dirty - but the beach is lovely. I dont mind getting involved but would like a balance. Happy to stay relatively centre or somewhere to meet like mind people - and then also be able to relax! Im searching for accomodation that will let me meet people ie hostels etc. Just cant seem to find the right one as I would like a my own room also! Happy to pay extra if needed be. Lamai beach also comes up but I dont want to be around just couples - so any accomodation there and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Any help! Thankyou

Mo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

Hi Mo,

I can't really help you with hostels but if you want a good mix of relaxation and not being too far from party central, you could look at Baan Samui. It is on a wonderful stretch of beach, has a lot of younger travellers staying there and is around the $75 a night mark, fairly cheap for Chaweng. It is only a short stroll from Central Chaweng where the Ark Bar and Soi Green Mango are, but enough away to escape for awhile.

I'm sure some people will suggest you stay at Ark Bar but if relaxation is important it may be too rowdy for you, a whole lot of fun but rowdy. Montien House might be another option for you.

Have a great time on your holiday.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

A lot of economical places can also be found in south chaweng. From hostels to 1500 - 3000 baht a night rooms.

Mercure Tana is one place that comes to mind.

Pretty much anything that's not directly on the beach, such as across the road can offer good value.

South chaweng has plenty of restaurants, some pubs and a bunch of pop up bars each night.

15 or so mins walk to party central chaweng.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

Hi, I can second Andrew's recommendation at#1. We stayed next door to Baan Samui earlier this year and I think it seems to have the right blend of what you are after.

South Chaweng is probably the best for the beach element as the sea get's shallower behind a breaker the further north along it you go.

You may wish to check out TravellingMitch's jbr posted 19th April I think. It has a wealth of info and feedback about their experiences around this and other areas. This may give a bit more insight too.

Good luck.

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

My only concern is that I want to be around younger people, not just mature couples/families. Any other suggestions of places to stay that will have a young crowd would be massively appreciated! My concern is with resorts it will be a different clientele there? Many thanks for your help!

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

For a younger crowd look at e.g. the Ark Bar Hotel. But that is right in the center of the entertainment area and it is a bit noisy because planes pass directly overhead on short final.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

Hi, as la0wei says you should head to the Ark bar in the evenings but I don't know about staying there as they play loud music into the little hours making it difficult to sleep, you could stay at one of the many hotels in South chaweng and walk there but check out the reviews in the hotel section to get a better idea of what it's like.

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

Is there any places that have young travellers, but has a relaxing beach also?

Thanks everyone for your help - much appreciated

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

What dates will you be in samui? I'll be there from June 29 - July 7th. Traveling alone and probably staying at Ark Bar.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

Younger folks seem to seek out more economical hotels.

If you look at at a hotel map of Samui, then Chaweng and Ark Bar the hotels nearby would most likely have younger people

Chaweng Budget Hotel, Samui Verticolor come to mind.

10. Re: Young Traveller - where to stay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:17