We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Thai Commitment Ceremonies

Kilkenny, Ireland
12 posts
Save Topic
Traditional Thai Commitment Ceremonies

Hi,

Myself and my fiance are heading to Koh Samui on our honeymoon early next year. I am thinking about organising a commitment ceremony or something similar on the beach as a surprise for her. It would just be the two of us, no guests.

I would much appreciate it if anybody has any idea as to how I would start organising such a thing or if it is even possible?

Thanks

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional Thai Commitment Ceremonies

Hi

Thai traditional wedding ceremony are not done by monk or priest. For the Thais the couple will go to the temple in the morning of the wedding day to get blessed ( not to preform the wedding) or some invite monk to their home in the morning before the wedding proceed to bless the couple and the house. The monk then left before all the cerebrations.

What you seen in travel brochure ( monks at the wedding) Is another money making for so called wedding planner. In Buddhist way the monk are not getting involved with such thing as wedding.

The Thais wedding are preform by the elders of the family.

If just two of you I would get up early and go to temple with basket of offerings the like of freshly cooked food or dry food with money in envelope (100-1000baht) flowers, incense and candles. Go around 8:30am ask for abbot tell him is your wedding or anniversary or any reason then he will give you a blessing.

Good luck

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional Thai Commitment Ceremonies

That's what the missus and I did. The monk even looked up our birth dates and days and told us the best date to get married :).

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,973 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional Thai Commitment Ceremonies

I normally make offerings and am blessed on my birthday!

Kilkenny, Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional Thai Commitment Ceremonies

Thanks very much for the replies, definitely something we would be interested in

5. Re: Traditional Thai Commitment Ceremonies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16