We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General questions from newbie

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
General questions from newbie

Hi everyone - we fly out in a week - will be in Samui for 2 weeks - we are Bali lovers and can only compare to that - but thought we'd try something different, so if you don't mind we have a few questions - thanks in advance

1. Laundry - are they everywhere like Bali? and if so what can we expect to pay (approx.)

2. Water - don't brush my teeth in tap water in Bali - whats the situation in Samui regarding this?

3. food - cant wait to eat it !! Bali can be a bit dodgy food wise at times - is there anything to worry about in Samui?

4. Internet - I have to work while there (bookkeeper) Bali internet is painfull to say the least - how does Samui compare if anyone knows?

back on the food thing - I don't eat seafood but we want to have one really nice special night out for my birthday - I've had a look at a few places but seafood seems to dominate - I would love an awesome Thai dinner somewhere (authentic as possible) any suggestions please? we're staying in Maenam but happy to travel and a nice sunset view would awesome!

Thanks in advance for any advice Cheers Nads

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Maenam Beach
Maenam Beach
1,065 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: General questions from newbie

1. They are everywhere and it is something like THB 30 to 40 per kg.

2. I brush my teeth with tap water on Samui and never had a problem with that.

3. We eat from street food, wooden shacks, local restaurants, tourist places right up to the top range restaurants and again never had a problem.

4. There is 3G coverage and loads of free WiFi Hotspots on the island. If all fails there are tons of I-Net cafes.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General questions from newbie

Hi

Sure my answers will be the same or similar but it helps reinforce the info . . .

1. Laundry - are they everywhere like Bali? and if so what can we expect to pay (approx.)

A] everywhere - 50-70thb a killo

2. Water - don't brush my teeth in tap water in Bali - whats the situation in Samui regarding this?

A] We also brush my teeth with tap water on Samui and never had a problem

3. food - cant wait to eat it !! Bali can be a bit dodgy food wise at times - is there anything to worry about in Samui?

A] not really. Never been sick due to food on Samui. Mr Mitch was sick once, but that was because he fed some fish with fish food that was made with who knows what, didn't wash his hands and then licked his hands [Ugk!!]. He contracted Ecoli from contaminated fish food!

4. Internet - I have to work while there (bookkeeper) Bali internet is painfull to say the least - how does Samui compare if anyone knows?

A] we work all the time - Mr Mitch has his own business. We use wifi in bars and restuarants, as well as in hotels - most have free wifi now. Normally find it quick and fast unless everyone is using it, say at 6pm!

back on the food thing - I don't eat seafood but we want to have one really nice special night out for my birthday - I've had a look at a few places but seafood seems to dominate - I would love an awesome Thai dinner somewhere (authentic as possible) any suggestions please? we're staying in Maenam but happy to travel and a nice sunset view would awesome!

A] you don't have to eat seafood - we don't eat a great deal of it prefering beef or chicken. If you want authentic you need to move away from a nice place, and head to the cheap restaurants with no names plastic tables and chairs and tatty menus. There are some very nice restaurants. Have you looked at this recent thread --> tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1179396-i13008-… [just click on that link]

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Maenam Beach
Maenam Beach
1,065 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: General questions from newbie

Sorry TM, but 50 to 70 THB per kg of laundry is way too much.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General questions from newbie

Really. It was 50thb a kilo ironed earlier in the year. Has it gone down much then??

That is cheap compared Phuket which is around 70thb upwards!!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General questions from newbie

Recently there and laundry was about 40thb a kilo but that was not ironed.

We did notice on the internet front that the number of internet places has diminished remarkably. Many I went into had spaces where there used to be computers or if they did have computers they were "finished" as they like to say. They can still be found but not like it used to be.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General questions from newbie

Agree with the laundry being 40 baht per kilo, 50 baht ironed.

There's even some places doing it for 30 baht a kilo.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: General questions from newbie

We have paid THB 35.- for years and my jeans are certainly ironed, plus the t-shirts and shirts are not crumbled either.

8. Re: General questions from newbie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 05:16