We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Operators asking Hotel Room Details

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Tour Operators asking Hotel Room Details

Hi everyone

visiting Thailand at the end of the month and have arranged two tours; one in Samui and one in Phuket with different tour operators - both with great reviews and very reputable. Both tours have hotel pick-up which I believe may be the reason they asked (even though we'd get picked up from the lobby), but I'm quite uncomfortable giving them my room number considering they know that I won't be there whilst on the tours. Is this standard practice in Thailand?

Thanks

Tours Koh Samui
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Lamai Viewpoint
Lookouts, Sightseeing Tours, Rides & Activities, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
@ Samui Tour & Travel
Boat Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Operators asking Hotel Room Details

I think that's pretty standard.. it's basically so that if for some reason you aren't in the lobby when your transportation arrives then the driver can request hotel reception staff to contact the given room number. I have just done a number of tours in Samui and Phuket and given our room numbers to tour operators once checked in to our hotel and had no issues at all - in fact when they arrived a few minutes early we received a courtesy call from hotel reception to advise.

Hope this helps!

Level Contributor
168 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Operators asking Hotel Room Details

It's incase you sleep in or your not there for the pickup for whatever reason they can give your door a knock - why else?

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Operators asking Hotel Room Details

Standard practice. Tours are half price when booked in Thailand. Foreign booked tours just pay the locals and pocket the difference.

A lot of all day tours only cost $18 to $35 over there.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,069 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Operators asking Hotel Room Details

HI

Yes agree, it is very standard and no issue.

If you oversleep, if they need to cancel or get in contact with you, then your room number is essential.

They want you room details to give you the best experience, not to rip you off!!

5. Re: Tour Operators asking Hotel Room Details

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:18