We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking around on several travel sites to find some information to plan my trip to Thailand, specifically south side.

Is it a good idea to tie in Phuket and Ko samui or just spend time in Ko samui? We are planning to visit for atleast 5 nights but can even do 7 nights. Unfortunately we have to do this in peak season, so between 25th Dec to 2nd Jan.

Another worry is the travel arrangements between Phuket and Ko Samui.Flights seem expensive and not sure whats the next best option?

Can someone please help me plan my trip.Thanks for your time.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

Dec is rainy time for Samui and these islands are similar.

Go to Khao Lak if you want something different. Close to Phuket.

Look at the map.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

I agree, just head to the west coast and explore that area, there are plenty of places that all have a different feel, Phuket, Koh Lanta, Khao Lak, Krabi and heaps of other islands and places.

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

Hi Dave.

If I were you, I would most definitely go to Khao Lak. It is beautiful and the weather should be great.

Cheers Bob.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,560 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

HI

We don't find both islands the same, they both have a very different feel.

Phuket will have much nicer weather, and if you want a different feel than Khao Lak, 1-2 hours north of Phuket, is worth looking at for a change. Alternatively drive / ferry round to Ao Nang / Krabi.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

I agree with the others, better weather on the Andaman coast.

Regardless of weather, I definitely wouldn't be looking to do 2 locations in 5 day (even 7 for me) as you will lose a day travelling and with only such a short time available for you it will eat into your precious holiday time.

Wherever you plan to go - book soon! This is absolute peak season and many places will already be booked out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

Agree, stick with the West (Andaman) coast.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

Seven days is way too short a time to try and fit in a west coast and east coast visit to Thailand.

We have just spent 6 nights in Samui and 5 nights in Phuket and we wish we had more time in both beautiful locations. As has already been mentioned - each destination is completely different to the other. We found Samui more relaxed with a true "island" feel (everything runs on island time) and Phuket was far busier with more activity options to keep you occupied. Both locations have wonderful sights worth seeing but not worth rushing.

Thailand is a wonderful place and time is definitely your friend when visiting!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

Thanks to all of you, you have given lot more insight into thailand and islands.We are re planing our trip now..

9. Re: Trip planing - Ko Samui with Phuket or just Ko Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17