We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Koh Samui

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Koh Samui

Hi,

Just wondering what is the best way to get around koh samui?

Me and the Mrs have never rode a scooter before so thinking of a private driver. But I feel bad making the driver park somewhere and wait for us for a couple of hours. Car would be safer I feel but is there any parking at the father and mother rock etc?

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Koh Samui

Hi

You park wherever you find the spot. For father mother rocks I would park at the parking lot just opposite the Sabieng lae restaurant.

Having car hire give you freedom and you on your own pace. Otherwise hire a driver.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,391 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Koh Samui

Hi

If you have NEVER ridden a scooter before then learning on samui is not the place. A car would be safer!

I have lessons before I travel - my licence (since 1979) allows me to ride up at 50cc bike without a test, but I take lessons anyway.

There is parking at G&G rocks!

If you had a driver you are unlikely to spend more than 45-60mins at the G&G rocks.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Koh Samui

Hi

We have been to Thailand many times and always thought it was not safe for us to drive despite being experienced drivers until we visited Koh Samui last year. It is not the crazy driving of Phuket, Bangkok etc. we felt comfortable driving around for a couple of days in a Mazda2 rented from our hotel. We paid $50 a day (not sure if that was a good rate but seemed a good price to us).

Totally agree that Thailand is not the place to learn to drive a scooter even on quieter KS.

4. Re: Getting around Koh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17