We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Honeymoon!

New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
September Honeymoon!

We are so excited after MUCH research we have decided on our honeymoon in Koh Samui - and yes in just a few weeks :)! We have been doing quite a bit of research and still are having a hard time figuring out where (what part of the island) we should stay.

- We would love to get as luxurious accommodations as possible between $250-$350 a night.

- Looking for beautiful clear water and white sand beaches with scenery

- Would like to have the laid back relaxing atmosphere during the day, but plan to venture out for some light nightlife - nothing crazy but maybe dinner, drinks, dancing.

Also - how expensive are food and drinks - how much should we budget for this?

Any recommendations are MUCH appreciated!!

Island Gem Tours
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September Honeymoon!

Hi

Crikey, you have left it late, lets hope your first or second choice still has availability!

- We would love to get as luxurious accommodations as possible between $250-$350 a night.

A] assuming that is US$ and not one of the many other dollars, that is a very good one and you should get a lovely hotel. I use hotelscombined.com to find what hotels fit my budget / location. Places like Poppies or Samui Resotel might appeal.

- Looking for beautiful clear water and white sand beaches with scenery

A] should be anywhere, but Chaweng has the nicest sandy beach, IMO. Choeng Mon and the small beaches between there and Chaweng are also very nice. Bophut has a gritty beach that, IMO, is not a patch on chaweng.

- Would like to have the laid back relaxing atmosphere during the day, but plan to venture out for some light nightlife - nothing crazy but maybe dinner, drinks, dancing.

A] LOL, it can be as light or crazy as you want. It suspect that either southern chaweng or Choeng Mon just might suit you.

Also - how expensive are food and drinks - how much should we budget for this?

A] it really does depend. You can eat from 50thb to 5000thb a person, plus drinks. I'm a plastic chairs and tables sort of girl and we normally eat for well under 500tbh for the 2 of us! Wine is expensive, cocktails can be really cheap. We normally go B&B, and then allow GB£100 / 5300thb / US$165 per day spending to cover everything other than accommodation.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng
Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
Choeng Mon
Choeng Mon
Ko Samui, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September Honeymoon!

Hi

Food as drinks can be cheap or expensive depends on where you chose to have it. The up market places will be expensive as at home. But in general the food and drinks are cheap. You can get cocktails as cheap as $5.

For accommodations very one have their own favorites pros and cons. Why don't you check it out one here www.sawadee.com or www.hotelcombined.com make short listed and comeback to us we will help you narrow it down.

Ps. Posted the same time as TM :)

Just some ideas ...We spend roughly $100 each daily.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 06:52
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
115 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September Honeymoon!

Congratulations Autie. My wife and I were married here on Samui where we both live. She has been here for 8 years and I have been here for 3 but have travelled here for many years. Koh Samui is one of the more expensive Islands in Thailand but still compared to NYC, Sydney, London, Paris etc it is cheap, very cheap. A lot of Expats forget or haven't traveled back to their hometown and think it is expensive here but it is very, very affordable. We Honeymooned in Yao Noi since we live here but I can highly recommend The InterContinental Resort. I'd like to say I am not affiliated with any place I recommend to you it is based on my personal experience having stayed in just about every 5 star resort here. Plus I love the South. The Southern part of Koh Samui is the least populated but very, very beautiful. Taling Ngam is very beautiful and has a nice swimmable beach. Most of the beaches on Koh Samui you can't swim in. They look great but the reef runs right into the sand. This is why beaches like Chaweng are so populated because you can walk out into the water and swim. Other beaches you can do that too like Taling Ngam, Lipa Noi, Chong Mon, Chawent Noi (small beach towards Lamai) and half of Lamai beach you can swim, the Southern half.

The New York Times 200 places to see before you die listed Baan Talking Ngam Resort as one of the places. This resort is now called The InterContinental Hotel Koh Samui and it is extremely good value and within your budget. It is away from a lot of the nightlife/clubs etc but you can travel to them when you need them. It trely is a nice resort build across a small mountain and down to the see. It has a top and beach side pool, a beachside restaurant and top restaurant and bar and there is plenty to do. Great gym, usually with no one in it. The activities guy Khun Yuk is amazing. He is one of the fittest people on the planet and can do yoga, biking or anything with you guys. InterCon have bikes for all their guests for free I believe.

US$100 a day should do the trick if you get your breakfast included in the package.

There many other great places on Koh Samui, some very over priced and outside of your $350.00. Honestly you don't need to spend silly money here to have a great time here. Once again, congratulations and enjoy your stay on this beautiful Island.

Mentioned in this post
Taling Ngam
Taling Ngam
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
Lipa Noi
Lipa Noi
Ko Samui, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Ko Samui, Thailand
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
1,735 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: September Honeymoon!

Thank you all for the responses and tips! MUCH appreciated!!

1) If we do choose a locations such as the InterContinental or Choeng Mon- how far do we need to go to get to restaurants/nightlife, etc? If we take a cab, how much do we budget for that?

2) Before I posted we were considering some of the following hotels - any pros/cons?

- Six Senses

- Silavadee

- Le Meridian

- Elements Boutique

- Pavillion Samui

- X2 Samui

- Renaissance

3) I saw some photos of a beach called thongtakian - love the neat rock details and white sand - any recommendations on similar looking beaches?

Mentioned in this post
Choeng Mon
Choeng Mon
Ko Samui, Thailand
Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September Honeymoon!

Are you flying from NYC? How long is your honeymoon? I looked at your history and see you considered Greece and Costa Rica. Have been to both and if you PM me happy to help. I love Samui more than anywhere in the world but if you are just travelling for a hotel and a beach then it is a very long way and I don't see why you would do that unless you are going to enjoy more of Thailand. Of the hotels you mention Six Senses is best by miles BUT quirky so read the reviews and decide if it would work for you. There are no other beaches like Silver Beach but Choeng Mon is IMHO the nicest tourist beach on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Choeng Mon
Choeng Mon
Ko Samui, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September Honeymoon!

Discount Le Meridien if you want a good beach. It's a really nice hotel with great staff and you'd get a nice room for your budget there's only a small bit of beach at the back of the resort as it's more northern tip of Lamai.

There's some local food nearby but you'd need Songtheaw or taxi into Lamai.

I'd suggest possibly looking at Chaweng Noi, small beach near Chaweng with about 5 resorts on it.

Vana Belle is very luxurious.

There's also Imperial Samui and Impiana resorts there.

Many Songtheaws (cheap local transport) passing right past these hotels to get you all around the island and busy nightlife of Chaweng (5 or so mins away) if you want.

Mentioned in this post
Lamai Beach
Lamai Beach
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng Noi Beach
Chaweng Noi Beach
1,147 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Chaweng
Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: September Honeymoon!

I too would think that Chaweng Noi may suit you; giving you the best of both worlds.

I have stayed at the Imperial some years ago and thought it was lovely, however I am sure that I've seen somewhere on the forum that it was under refurb and being renamed a few months ago. I believe it is becoming a Sheraton hotel based on what I have read, but I'm sure that there are others on TA that can confirm or refute this for you (and me too).

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Chaweng Noi Beach
Chaweng Noi Beach
1,147 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September Honeymoon!

Knitee I think you are 100% correct in the refurb of Imperial and new naming to Sheraton Samui, I saw a tbread about it on ThaiVisa forum.

Not sure when the refurb is due for completion.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 09:33
9. Re: September Honeymoon!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:16