We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pattaya or Hua Hin?

Which Pattaya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
356 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Pattaya or Hua Hin?

Hi

My husband and I are going to Vietnam in June via Bangkok. We are considering saving a few nights at the end of our holiday to stay at either Pattaya or Hua Hin. Both places interest us as they are only about 2 hours drive away from Bangkok. We have been to Thailand several times but have never been to Hua Hin or Pattaya.

If we decide on Pattaya, I am considering staying at Rabbit Resort as the quiet location interests me with hustle and bustle close by if we want it. I also like the idea of being able to get around cheaply and it sounds easy and cheap to get to from Bangkok Airport. Hua Hin seems more expensive on this front.

Would love to hear from anyone who knows both places and get some feedback. Cheers

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

You are right in your assumptions. Hua Hin is more expensive than Pattaya but the Rabbit Resort is expensive in itself. It seems strange (to me anyway) that you would spend a lot of money on a hotel then want to get about cheaply. Hua Hin is no more expensive than Pattaya to get around. The Sofitel is a beautiful hotel in Hua Hin and from it's location you wouldn't need to use taxis. The Hilton is also very central and a class hotel as you would expect. There is an abundance of restaurants and nightlife in Hua Hin and I would say that it would be a more pleasant location than Pattaya for a couple. Pattaya is like Disneyland for the single male. From Rabbit Resort you would need to take a taxi into Pattaya itself (10 baht!)but there is also limited nightlife and plenty of restaurants in Jomtien. Rabbit Resort is on Dongtan beach which is known as a gay beach. Hua Hin main beach is nicer, and if you venture further south past Khao Takiab (5km) there is an even more beautiful beach which is lovely for walking. So overall I would recommend Hua Hin. Having said that, I have bought and live in a condo half a mile from Rabbit Resort!! (only because property is perhaps twice as expensive in Hua Hin). Airport to Pattaya is one and a half to two hours. Airport to Hua Hin would be about three to four hours. Hope you make the right decision. Regards.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

agree largely with the post above - pattaya is good if you want a large choice of places to go at night and also for shopping,whilst hua hin has a better beach and whilst less choice at night still quite a bit. i find hua hin really nice but a bit boring after a few days, whilst the variety of choice in pattaya means there is always somewhere different to try.

Eastbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

Hi Kiwi07

I agree with the other posts on here - I've been to both Pattaya and Hua Hin. Both are VERY different!

Hua Hin - Is a nice little place, plenty of restaurants etc... and it's a great place to go for a few nights BUT we went there for 2 weeks and after the 1st week I was climbing the walls as it was so boring! But by the sounds of it if you just want a chill out for a couple of nights it might be ideal for you. Quite a long drive back to Bangkok though I'd say definately 4 hours.

Pattaya - Is a dive in parts & the beach is gross BUT it's great fun, lots to do and see, shopping is fantastic plus plenty of restaurants. Its easy to get around using the very cheap Baht Buses. I've only stayed at the Dusit which is a fantastic hotel away from the gross Walking Street part of town (not my scene at all!!). As long as your hotel is nice then I'm sure you;d have a great fun time in Pattaya.

Wherever you go I'm sure you'll find the perfect place to wind down from your trip to Vietnam!

Have fun

xx

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

I agree with the above except only that to enjoy Hua Hin you should get out of the town and visit some of the interesting places around the area. Some take a while to get to but others such as Sam Roi National Park are within 40-50 minutes easily. Snorkeling off Koh Talu island is about 2.5 hours south. There are trips into the mountains and jungle areas.

The attractions around Hua hin are more nature and sceneic based.

Pattaya has lots to do but is overall much larger and busier.

Raxi from Bangkok to Hua Hin is about 2,500, you can bus or go by train ( but the train takes about 4 hours ).

Many of the top beach hotels and resorts in Hua hin though are 'very expensive', around Pattaya and Jomtien there are plenty of mid priced hotels. Hua hin does have though lots of top class places right on the beaches without having to cross roads to get to.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

Pattaya and Jomtien as someone mentioned are very cheap to get about in day and night. Hua Hin does have some baht-bus routes with a 10 baht fare but only during daylight. After dark taxis are necessary up to about 150 tops.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
356 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

Thanks everyone for all your helpful advice. Bahtboy, we have been offered a pretty good rate at Rabbit Resort so thats why we are considering staying there. Staying on a gay beach doesn't concern us.

We would prefer a quiet location especially after Vietnam so would probably prefer Hua Hin in that regard. We may have 2 flights before we even arrive in Bangkok so I like the idea of only a 2hr drive max to Pattaya plus being able to catch the bus direct from the airport is also appealing.

Both places seem to be a no go for swimming in the ocean in June as I have read that Hua Hin has alot of Jellyfish that time of year so you cannot swim in the water. Is it possible to swim in the ocean anywhere in Pattaya?

Everyone has been really helpful. Cheers

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

Can take the slow boat or a speed boat to Koh Larn - which is off the coast of Pattaya. Nice beaches and great water to swim in, unlike Pattaya Beach itself.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

Swim in the sea at Pattaya if you want to catch something other than fish!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
356 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

Very funny bahtboy, but I get the picture!

Scherpenheuvel...
Level Contributor
122 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pattaya or Hua Hin?

by reading all these topics I think we will go to Hua Hin instead of Pattaya. does anyone have some goods hotel names I can check. We would like a lovely garden with pool, bungalow if possible within walking distance of restaurants to spend the evening.No to fancy.