We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bars where you can just chill

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Bars where you can just chill

Hi I visited Pattaya last April and had a mixed experience.

I went with an open mind and whilst I wouldn't say its the best place I have ever been , i am planning on going again.

The one let down was trying to find a bar where the girls don't hassle you. I also enjoy these types of bars but sometimes it's nice to just chill and soak in the surroundings if tyou get my drift.

Can anyone recommend any bars?

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,013 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bars where you can just chill

I have been in a lot of beer bars in Pattaya and I haven't been terribly hassled by many bar girls. Sure, they ask you what you want to drink if you don't speak out right away. They may say hello but you don't have to say anything to anyone. They may come back to see if you need a refill or some ice, it is their job to do that. Often I just order a drink and read the newspaper or a book without anyone bothering me.

Maybe not inserting yourself right in the middle of a whole herd of heifers might work out better for you. No one will really bother you if you choose a table closer to the street so you can watch people walk by; this may be better than plopping down in front of several ladies behind the bar.

Good luck.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bars where you can just chill

hassle is a bit strong i guess. Like i said I quite like the beer bars and sometimes that is the type of place i look for.

I especially liked the bar near walking street that was sort of out on a pier. Pattaya garden maybe?

I just felt pattaya had few options for a quiet drink, sadly on one occassion I even sat outside Pizza Hut drinking as it was the only place i could find to people watch without being bothered.

I am not dissing pattaya, like i said each to their own and i plan to return in april.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bars where you can just chill

Unfortunately, I do not remeber the names of the bars, but I have some suggestions. I vaguely think it is an area that has a bar named "the Norwegian Bar", as well as a couple of other beer bars. It is on the beach road between soi 13 and the walking street. If anybody starts to chat you up, tell them you are waiting on your wife, they will pretty much leave you alone but still happy to sell you beer. There is the shopping mall nearby, so the wife story works pretty well.

While not inexpensive, there is an Irish type pub at the top of soi 13 that has out door seating. I am pretty sure they have a happy hour which takes a little of the price sting away. It is in the same complex as Villa Market, but on the second (or first, depending on where you are from) floor. Again, I do not remember the name but it is pretty easy to find.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bars where you can just chill

World -wide bar on Soi 8,beer is cheap,40 baht and no bother from the girls,sailor bar on soi 7,cheap and good food,no bother

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bars where you can just chill

Sorry, Sailor bar is on Soi 8,worldwide is on Soi 7.

Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bars where you can just chill

I dont think it has a name, but for people watching on Walking Street there is a large open air bar on the left about 20 meters before Insomina nightclub as you walk towards the end of walking street.

Another good place to watch the world go by and the shanadigans of Soi 6 is Jack Tar Bar. Absolute no hassle there.

Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bars where you can just chill

I go to Wonderful Bar on 2nd road /soi 13 no hassles at all,in fact that is why I like it there so much.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,013 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bars where you can just chill

"I go to Wonderful Bar on 2nd road /soi 13 no hassles at all,in fact that is why I like it there so much."

Not to far from there is the Bordega Bar. Happy hour available to 8 PM.

I like to watch the people walk by while reading. No real hassle by the help unless you encourage it. No problem with just ordering a Fanta or Coke if you don't want to drink alcohol.

Have fun.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bars where you can just chill

Might I suggest a perfect place to drink in the evenings.It is the Nikom on the corner of Soi Buakho and Soi Diane..It is frequented almost solely by expats

of all nationalities but mainly Brits and Australians,( the conversatons this next few weeks will be interesting I bet) and no girls will hassle you there.It is a great place to chill, have a good natter and good laugh too.The beer is all self serviceand cheap,and as they don't do food at all you can step outside to any of the food stalls and vendors and bring it back in.I invariably drink there most of the time and over the years have made a good few friends.

Will maybe see you there sometime.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bars where you can just chill

thanks all for your feedback.

I am particularly liking the last one with the option of nearby street food.