We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about going to Pattaya

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Worried about going to Pattaya

Hi i have booked a holiday to Thailand, my first time in Thailand in April to travel with my family - husband and two kids aged 17 and 14. I am now really worried as I have heard that Pattaya is not very nice, and am now thinking that I should have gone to Phuket instead.

If anyone has been please could you tell me what it's like, whether you would recommend it etc.

Thank you

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

if your here,i believe 13,14,15,16,17,tell the kids to bring their water guns,for the festival,you can go to Coral Island,Nong Nooch Gardens,Sanctuary of Truth,Pattaya Water park,you see a lot of kids with parents around,and what made you pick Pattaya,or did u just throw a dart,on the map???

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

btw,you can always stay in Jomtien Beach,next town south of Pattaya,or head South a few hours to Koh Chang Island,or an hour south to Koh Samed

Edited: 05 January 2011, 18:48
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

Great place for families.... I would not worry! :)

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

Any holiday is what you make of it. I am sure you and your family have already been on beaches where nudity or at least topless bathing is allowed. You won't see that on Pattaya Beach! There are quite a few bars but unless you drag your kids in you won't see anything from outside. There are beer bars but no different than outside cafes in Europe except for maybe more customers! There are tourist families that return again and again with their kids to Pattaya.

When you stroll through the many malls in the evening you will notice many other tourists with children in tow. There are tours you can sign up for that may be okay for your kids. There are modern movie theaters that you can take your kids to that are cheaper than back home and have current releases in English. These are modern, fancy theaters too! One thing you might like is the cheap transportation at only 10 baht. Much, much cheaper than Phuket on its best day!

What you won't find in Pattaya is a good beach for swimming! You can swim off of Koh Larn Beach (good place to visit,) swim off of Jomtien and in the Naklua area but not as good as Phuket area or the islands. Pattaya Beach is okay for restaurants, sunbathing, malls, nightlife and street vendors but tourists don't swim there too often. (Lots of McDonalds, Burger Kings and other junk food sellers to keep most kids happy.)

http://www.hotelthailand.com/thailand-activities/pattaya-activity/ripley-s-believe-it-or-not!-museum-tour-pattaya-thailand.html

http://kohlarn.com/

Good luck.

You should be okay in Pattaya!

5. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 January 2011, 15:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

Well Rover 's case is extreme, i will say with a family and kids i would pefer to go to Phuket. Nice beaches and not quite so big. Patts is really a city beside a dirty beach !

I am a single male, and even i find all the bars and noise and night life too much !

There are lots of familys and kids there, but that still does not change what it is, head south my friend !

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

If you were born a victim or you're a wowser Pattaya might not suit, but a lot of families manage to holiday there and keep coming back.

Since you'll have no interest in walking street apart from a quick wander through, there's only 99% of the greater Pattaya area left for you to explore.

Look at the FAQ's on the right, the Family Friendly Options and Pattaya for Couples.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 05:33
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

Your not calling me a wowser are you Fourb2 ? and the op says she has heard its not that nice, you do concur that the Phuket and the south is more easy on the eye !

Familys that return are mostly Russian , and may know no better. ( even though i have heard they are now heading south too )

9. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 January 2011, 12:35
Edited: 08 January 2011, 12:35
10. Re: Worried about going to Pattaya

Removed on: 08 January 2011, 12:35