We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

Which Pattaya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

Booking a taxi online for an upcoming trip and have requested a stop at the nearest convenient shop for bevies for the road trip between airport and pat's and been told in no uncertain terms "No Stopping"

Seeing as its my coin paying, I feel that's a bit unreasonable.

Just as well this muppet is not the only cowboy in town with a car.

Edited: 26 May 2013, 08:14
stockport
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

the taxi driver will stop for you mate, just ask him, but offer him a drink or a snack, or give him a tip

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,782 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

Which airport?

Why do you need to stop? It is a 2 hour ride from Suvarnabhumi! Maybe a few minutes longer from Don Muang.

When you are at the airport buy some snacks before you get on the taxi.

I suppose if you tip the driver enough money he might make a stop part way.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

If you are flying into Suvarnabhumi then buy something at the airport. The route to Pattaya is straight out of the airport onto the highway, the only stop is halfway there.

Pattaya
Level Contributor
489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

Unless you are going between friday afternoon and saturday night, it will only take 1½ hour from the airport to Pattaya. Just buy something at the airport, it will cost the same as if you stop at a shop. Most drivers will take a break half way to Pattaya.

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

I was chasing a few beers for my wife and I to have en-route from Don Mueng.

Several emails back and forth with an emphatic NO

So there is somewhere to get a cold 6er for the trip?

Edited: 26 May 2013, 14:29
QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

I have never flown into there before so have visions like the LCCT at KL or several other airports I have come into where a hot tarmac walk is on the cards and a none to cool wait in line at customs.

A few cold beers would be just the ticket after that, so again, is there a shop at the airport that'll sell a cold 6pack for the road?.

NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

Just ask him to stop at the big service station that is about 15km from the airport on the way to Pattaya. I cant see any reason why they wouldnt. Then again, I cant actually see any reason why you would need to book a taxi there are plenty of them at DMK and BKK and you will almost certainly get a better price.

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

"Then again, I cant actually see any reason why you would need to book a taxi there are plenty of them at DMK and BKK and you will almost certainly get a better price."

The FAQ seems to imply that 1200 was the number for a taxi, which is the same price that a private car is.

Never having been to DM before I thought this sounded like a better option,

Are taxis cheaper and not likely to rip you off like they can in other countries (coming from Vietnam - Airport taxis have some notoriety)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

Don Mueang has a convenience store selling also beer at least in the check-in (departures) hall. You can get there from the groundside arrivals hall, too.

London
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it unreasonable to ask to stop at shop on way to Pattaya?

There's a 7-11 type shop in the basement of the airport car park. He will have to drive right past it anyway.