We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

english couple in Pattaya

Which Pattaya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
english couple in Pattaya

We are an english couple travelling to Pattaya 28th December for one week. I am worried that as a women I will be totally out of place in Pattaya.

We are staying at the Areca Lodge Hotel, im broad minded and know full well what goes on up Walking Street, but fear I will be, ridiculed

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: english couple in Pattaya

I've been to Pattaya many times, and I can assure you that you won't be out of place there. I keep away from Walking Street now, but that's just a personal preference as I've 'been there, done that'.

You will be welcomed in all the 'beer bars' around the Areca Lodge (I've stayed there a few times), as well as the massage places. Go and have a manicure and pedicure up the road outside the Diana Inn, lovely lady, just 250 Baht for both!

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: english couple in Pattaya

Tons of couples, familes, and singles about so no need to worry. Ridiculed for what???

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: english couple in Pattaya

Im also curious to know what would you be ridiculed for? Just be yourself and obey the local laws - no matter where you travel - and you will be fine.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: english couple in Pattaya

Thousands of couples and families from all over the world head to Pattaya 'every day' and weekends are packed with Thai families / couples etc, no idea at all why you could think you would be 'ridiculed', I have been in Thailand 25 years and we like others often weekend in the area, can never once in my life being 'ridiculed', relax, don't worry, you will have a lovely time :)

Walking Street is simply one part of Pattaya, there are lots of sights and attractions, places to visit, things to see and go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICOdLY27cPQ

Edited: 07 June 2013, 00:31
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: english couple in Pattaya

Just like being in Blackpool gibbymaster!! lol Pattaya is a big place. There are lots of European/Russain women/families and many other different nationalities. Many ex pats living in the Pattaya area I certainly don't think you will look out of place. Would avoid Soi 6 more than the very touristy Walking Street.

Macau, China
Level Contributor
238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: english couple in Pattaya

may I know what's wrong with Soi 6, please...

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,305 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: english couple in Pattaya

"I am worried that as a woman I will be totally out of place in Pattaya. ..."

"but fear I will be, ridiculed..."

I am still trying to work out who would ridicule you? Thais you come across want your business, you are the goose with the golden eggs! Other tourists in Pattaya won't give a darn! People back home will only know what you tell them.. If you pick up a gigolo - don't tell anyone back home!

There are many women tourists who visit Pattaya on their own, some do it by themselves or travel with friends. When you walk around you will see many couples, some with children. Walk through a mall and you will see many female tourists.

You see tourist couples, even single tourist women, strolling through the Walking Street area. Some stop at beer bars for "people watching" and others on the way to their hotels or even to Bali Hai Pier for ferry boat rides to Koh Larn.

Areca is on Soi Diana. There are some beer bars nearby but you can ignore them or stop in. You will not be forced to enter any type of bar! You will see more nudity on a beach back home than you will see on Pattaya Beach..

Don't worry - be happy!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
251 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: english couple in Pattaya

Don't miss Walking Street. You will see a lot female tourists from all over the world strolling along. Sit down with some cool drinks and watch people passing by.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: english couple in Pattaya

What I meant by Ridiculed, was why has this women come on holiday here with her husband. Thanks everyone for your posts my mind is now at ease, Im sure im going to be ok. If any of you could recommend some good bars on Walking street to people watch that would be brill. Ill make a note of them and visit for sure.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: english couple in Pattaya

You will easily find the good bars for people watching. There is one about half way down on the left hand side, it has nice armchairs facing the street, nice 'aunties' serving the drinks and a good view of the ladyboy dance club opposite. It's our favourite spot.