We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oil Spill

London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Oil Spill

Has the current oil spill in Koh Samet affected the Pattaya beaches?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,776 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oil Spill

Nope.

Frankston Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oil Spill

The beaches in Pattaya don't need an oil spill to screw them up. The locals manage that quite nicely with all the rubbish and crap that is everywhere. Nobody swims in the beach in Pattaya. The go out to Koh Larn or down the end of Jomptien or Nakula.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oil Spill

Is it easy to get to Koh Larm from Pattaya? How long does it take, and is there a nice beach near the ferry terminal at the other side or is there another journey involved on the island? I assume beaches around Pattaya like Koh Larn havent been effected by the oil spill?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oil Spill

Nothing local here about Pattaya just Koh Samet / Rayong area

For bax52 :

Very easy to get to Koh Larn costs from as cheap as THB 30 ( approx 1 US dollar ) each way , or, to get direct to the beaches which in my opinion is far better if you just want the beach then THB 150 ( approx US$ 5 ) Return so it is a bargain for a day out.

Jomtien and Naklua are both part of Pattaya. Do appreciate central Pattaya is busy, it is a 'city' so the beach in the central area is not great. Also most decent hotels / resorts have nice pools, plus the Water Park is a bargain at THB 100 ( approx US$ 3.30 ) for the day

Edited: 01 August 2013, 09:46
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oil Spill

This short video shows lots about what to see and do in the area and includes Koh Larn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICOdLY27cPQ

Pattaya, Thailand
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oil Spill

I am not so sure why people say that the beaches are so full of rubbish. I have been to the beach a few times in the last few days and it has not been too bad. I recon it is a good idea to where sandals because occasionally I have seen a broken bottle sticking out of the sand at the water line. Maybe I am going at times where the water is further in but I doubt it.

The sand is a bit gravelly, I admit, but apart from that it is not so bad. They section a bit of the water off for swimmers. I believe the main reason why people don't tend to swim in the majority of the sea area is because of the risk of getting hit by a jet-ski.

HK
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Oil Spill

I read on a forum that there are oil pebbles on the beach of koh larn, is this true? Thank you.

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oil Spill

My wifes family live just outside of Pattaya and say its not expected in be a problem in their area. See today Pattaya Mail for update.

pattayamail.com/localnews/…

QLD
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oil Spill

"I am not so sure why people say that the beaches are so full of rubbish. I have been to the beach a few times in the last few days and it has not been too bad. I recon it is a good idea to where sandals because occasionally I have seen a broken bottle sticking out of the sand at the water line."

Yeah, the beaches are great, you even admit yourself there is rubbish and broken glass.

FWIW the beach where I stayed had a metre wide swathe of garbage every day on it and the water was the colour of fecal matter.

Wasnt even game to get my toes wet

Picture below of the filth

img850.imageshack.us/img850/686/xv8o.jpg

HK
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Oil Spill

Thx