We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malibu bar closed?

Aussie
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Malibu bar closed?

Looked for it today for ages but no signs up, went to soi 13/2 soi post office and the old bar was there , could see the stage/curtains but bar closed. Asked 2 different motorbike taxi guys and was told it has closed forever?

Can anyone confirm this and any idea why?

Cheers

Karin

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malibu bar closed?

Hi Karin,

I've known Ray and Yvonne who financed the Malibu Bar for many years (I think 25 years). I was there in March 2012 and they both said that it would probably be their last year. They moved up 2nd Road near Central Festival a few years ago and it hurt business, and they moved back to Soi Post Office. Unfortunately business never recovered. It's a shame really because the Mailbu was the first bar that I ever drank at in Pattaya. It was nice to find a bar where I didn't get hassle from bar girls. Obviously I'm aware that it's main attraction to first time tourists was the amount of ladyboys on the stage, but they were always very friendly and also very amusing!

Surrey
Destination Expert
for El Gouna
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malibu bar closed?

We were there in November and it was open but empty most nights. I did notice the drinks were more expensive in here than most bars so that is probably why. The bar opposite called Bodega Bar seemed to be where everyone was drinking and they had live music. It is a shame when old bars close... We shall have to watch & see what replaces it.

Lisa

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malibu bar closed?

Yes, the drinks have always been very expensive at The Malibu, but at the same time you are getting a free show all night at the same time. Unfortunately, people don't see it like that, and they begrudge paying 95 baht for a beer when they can get one from next door for 45.

I think the Malibu had its day in the late 90's and early to mid 2000's. Was a great deal of fun. 2nd Road seems to cater more for Russian shoppers these days, and a lot of the old drinkers from 2nd road are drinking in Soi Boukhao. Eventually they'll be pushed back to 3rd road if the construction carries on at this rate. I was googling some old pictures of the Malibu and other places. It's very sad how over-populated Pattaya has become.

I'm a fan of the Marquee Bar down Soi Boukhao nowadays. Totally different to the Malibu but very chilled.

NORWICH
Level Contributor
197 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malibu bar closed?

We used to love the Malibu. Always had a laugh there and even now when I hear Tina Turner I think of Tui strutting his stuff as Tina. Place always used to be packed. Sad if closing but we did notice last time we were in Pattaya a couple of years ago it was not so good.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for El Gouna
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malibu bar closed?

Hi

This bar was still open in May 14 but as per my previous post it was empty most nights.

They had Tina Turner singing one night the rest of the nights it was a ladyboy show. Last November they had a band later in the evening but we noticed in May the band was no longer there. Maybe they got rid of the band during the curfew and didn't reinstate?

Lisa

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
285 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malibu bar closed?

I was there 2 weeks ago. Now Malibu has a new name and is a normal bar with a live band all night long.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for El Gouna
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malibu bar closed?

Hi shorthander,

Thanks for the info, I will check it out in November. In May it had no name but there was a sign saying "Beyond" with an arrow pointing down soi 13/2 so not sure if that is the new name of the bar?

Lisa

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malibu bar closed?

Yes. I was there from Feb-April this year (2014) and it is now called Bar Beyond. Different owners. Until midnight, it's pretty much the old Malibu show, same routines, except Tui is not doing Tina Turner (he was amazing at that). Instead of the show and the bar closing at 2am, the show finishes at midnight and then there is a live band who used to play venues in Walking Street. They are very technically very good if you like Pink Floyd etc and as far as I know the bar is open until 4 in the high season. I read a post above saying the live band wasn't there. Maybe that was during the initial stages of the curfew. Everywhere seems relaxed again now. It's quite a popular venue for a Western guy to take his Thai girlfriend as it's quite relaxed, and open late. It did get raided and shut down while the actual "Malibu Show" was on this year when we were actually watching it. I don't know whether this was a licence issue or they were after one of the dancers. The live music is very loud and receives complaints from the Bodega Bar opposite and also the hotel just across 2nd road ( I think its called D2). Bar was shut for a week during March, so I presume a licence issue.

Essex
Level Contributor
194 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malibu bar closed?

We are friends with one of the performers, and have been told that the bar has closed for two months, and will reopen with new backers. Although when in Thailand it's probably best to 'watch this space'.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malibu bar closed?

I am currently in Pattaya and there is a sign that says "The New Malibu Show". The sign looks very much like the old one and it's definitely replaced the Bar Beyond sign. I might pop down there tonight to see if it's up and running. It didn't look that way a couple of weeks ago but maybe they are waiting for the high season to kick in. I've taken a picture of the new sign but I can't seem to add it using my phone.