We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - August 2013

London
Level Contributor
787 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - August 2013

Not seen many reviews on this specific forum, so thought I'd put down my experiences of Pattaya.

Overall we loved it. Did the research beforehand so knew exactly what were getting. And knowing 6 million (?) local Thai visitors a year can't be wrong.

Stayed at the Centara Grand Mirage. The hotel was fantastic, especially for the kids. Out of 9 days i think we had 6 or 7 pool days. There was enough to keep them amused all day with the slides and lazy river. The hotel was busy, but we never had issues with getting pool chairs or getting served etc. There was a large Russain contingent - did their reputation precede them ? No. Didn't experience any rudeness or queue barging.

We were in a Family Residence room, and I use the term 'room' loosely. This place was bigger than my first flat ! Would highly recommend for it for families. We did pay extra for club service, and although we used the lounge a fair amount I would say the level of detail isn't up to standard of other Centara Grand's. Wouldn't pay extra for it again, or even go for a club room if we went back.

Will stick more on about the hotel in the reviews section when I get round to it.

Going out and about wasn't a problem. I would say the hotel is isolated in the north, but not problematic. Ok, you pay over the odds at the 7-11 types store opposite the hotel, but its handy.

Headed into town most evenings. The row of songthews was handy. We never did manage to get a ride into town for less than 200THB, but for the sake of a pound I wasn't willing to put up with hassles of bartering. Went to Central Festival mainly for convenience - the kids love MK restaurants, and Hajime robot restaurant was worth a squirt for novelty value.

As expected we did do the trip into Walking Street when we went to Pattaya Beer Garden for dinner (highly recommended !). It was early evening and there were loads of other tourists getting the walking st experience. More a novelty than anything else.

Did a days diving/snorkelling with mermaids. Very professional organisation. Wasn;t expecting much, but theres not really much to see underwater. Only really worth it if like me this would be your only dive of the year.

We also did the Flight of the Gibbons zipline tour. This was probably the highlight of the holiday. The kids absolutely loved it ! It was a very unique thing to do. If it wasnt for the price I think we would have gone again.

I think we'd definitely go again if the opportunity arose. Its closeness to Bangkok makes it ideal if travel plans fitted. Have to be honest though, a major factor would be going back to the Centara Grand Mirage.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

It's been years since I was in Pattaya so good to get an up to date report and you can tell you all had a really good time, thanks for sharing.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

Glad you enjoyed, we have been enjoying weekends and longer trips for countless years and always have a pleasant time.

Remember that the songthaews plying their main roues only charge B 10 per trip.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 18:56
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

Hey enjoyed your trip report..great to hear you had such a nice time with the family..Pattaya gets a bad wrap sometimes.

Cheers Mark

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

But attacts as mentioned huge number of Thai visitors and also very large numbers from China S.Korea and all over. Being close to Bangkok and cheap / good value are big pluses

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

Hi

Thanks for sharing. Yes I agree, with million of locals Thai family (our family included) visit each year I don't know what the fuss is all about. When we were kids that's only place we knew ( heard of Phuket but too far). We would just plies up in the car with all supplied and head to Pattaya and Bang Sean in summer school holiday. Oh bring back happy time:)

Sorry agout of rambling here.

Again thanks for sharing such a fantastic report!!

Edited: 20 September 2013, 09:32
Surrey
Destination Expert
for El Gouna
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

Many thanks for sharing :)

My husband and I are going to Marriott, Pattaya in 8 weeks time - our first time.

We went to Hua Hin last November for our first ever trip to Thailand and loved it but we fancied something with more shops, bars etc. Also the fact it is so close to Bangkok is appealing as its not such a long transfer.

I will also do a TR on return.

Once again, many thanks

Lisa

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
876 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

It's nice to see a positive report about Pattaya, as a destination it really is what you make of it as your report shows! It's not all gogo bars and debauchery!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

:) LOL Sweetpea - here now !

My first visit was over 25 years ago, places change but amazing I can still go to places in Pattaya and find the same sois etc, I also think people living / working in Pattaya are very 'happy' , I think because they do well money-wise and it stays 'cheap' puts a true smile on faces.

We went south a few weeks back and had seafood at the beach, beach wasn't swimming type but with boats and yachts lovely sea breeeze view over to Koh Larn was lovely.

...and Pattaya Park still only costs B 100 for a whole day, and the ferry to Koh Larn is still B 20 ( or is it 30 now, oh well SO cheap )

Lisa-m - you may know that I am a strong lover of Hua Hin where we enjoy weekends, but we enjoy Pattaya too, they are very different and we go to them for different reasons. Marriott Pattaya is very central busy location but you will find lots to do, Nong Nooch Park is lovely , Underwaterworld, the shows at Tiffanys and Alcazar ( do see at least 1 ) , other cabaret places, drinks at the Hard Rock, buffet lunch at Hilton ( view ! ) and lots more. Very near to Marriott Ruen Thai for Thai dinner and Thai dance, well worth it.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

Sweetpea - you must remember this song - Kamala Sukosol :)

I remember it from the 80's

For everyone esle here is a nice happy song and video clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrxKdQa91Wg

Edited: 20 September 2013, 16:57
London
Level Contributor
787 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - August 2013

Really nice to read some of the feedback on this post. I do envy the guys who are close enough for a quick visit every now and again !

@Lisa-m - funny you mention Hua Hin. We went back to Thailand this year mainly because of getting a really good deal on flights to Bangkok. But weighing heavily in the decision was the chance to go back to Hua Hin for a few nights. It was a bit of a trek from Pattaya to HH, but we couldn't pass up the opportunity.

One thing I forgot to mention, which unfortunately rings true is the water quality. The water around the Centara was quite nasty. Just brown and murky. Beach was ok, but still a fair amount of litter around.