We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weakest beer?

Which Pattaya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Weakest beer?

Forgive the question but I haven't been able to find a ready answer yet.

I'm not really a drinker. I rarely drink, except, sometimes with a good meal and while on holiday. Sometimes a view just deserves a beer to go with it. So I don't mind the odd beer, but I tend to make it last a lot longer than 'regular' drinkers. I will sometimes alternate between beer and soft drinks if I find myself 'drinking' for any length of time. I enjoy it but don't like to get drunk.

I would like to drink the weakest beer available in most bars whilst in Pattaya.

Can anyone advise?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weakest beer?

If you can find it you want one of the light beers, Singha Light for example is 3.5%. Leo and Singha come in next at 5%.

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weakest beer?

Heineken in between at 4.5

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weakest beer?

Drinking your beer Thai style with plenty of ice will stretch it out and could reduce your overall alcohol intake.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weakest beer?

Note that San Miguel Light merely has less calories but still has 5% alcohol like most beers in Thailand. Chang is over 6% unless you specifically order the 5% export version.

Finding a bar selling light beer will be a challenge. For some reason bars targeting tourists seldom serve Leo beer, either.. As Gippy suggests, your best option is ordering an ubiquitous Singha beer with ice.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,322 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weakest beer?

When you are in a supermarket check the alcohol content of some of the beers for sale. Then you will have a couple brands to ask for when you are out bar hopping.

Like Gippy above, when in Asia I have ice in my beer. When I first came to Asia as a kid in the military sometimes the beer we bought was warm. To cool it off we used ice. Over thirty years later still drinking beer overseas with ice in the glass.

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weakest beer?

If you are from Yorkshire you'll find most Thai beers weak, to be honest none of them are that good, my wife is Thai and when we are in Pattaya she insists that I can only drink Singha although most of the men in her family seem to prefer Beer Lao but not many bars stock this. You'll find many imported beers on sale now a few bars are also stocking cider in bottles or draft.

Yorks
Level Contributor
915 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weakest beer?

I am from Yorkshire, but I rarely drink these days. Even when I did drink beer I remember it being 3% stuff I think.

I'll check out the scene when I arrive and thanks to all with the suggestions.

Honestly, I'd love to order a Shandy or two but I've read that the concept of a Shandy is not understood well in Thailand or at least they don't make economical sense (charged for both a beer and a soft drink?).

I've a feeling I'll just order a Singha and go at my own pace.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weakest beer?

Make a shandy or a top order a sprite. Step away from the Chang that's 6.4% although San Miguel light is 5% it's an extremely refreshing beer as many of the lights are. Enjoy we have 13 wks before we go. Can't wait for a cool beer in Pattaya.

9. Re: Weakest beer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:26