We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Island Visit

Which Pattaya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
An Island Visit

We have not been to Thailand for a couple of years but are hoping to rectify that this summer.

We had intended staying a week in Pattaya and then a week on Koh Samet but are a little worried about reports re an oil spill last year. Has any one an idea of the current situation and can recommend a resort and Hotel on the island in the £40 range that is near a nice beach. Would also welcome any suggestions re alternative islands in this region other than Koh Chang which we found gorgeous but a bit far. Thank you in advance for any info.

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An Island Visit

Try the ko samet forum!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An Island Visit

No problems on Koh Samet now. Oil spill was last July/August.

If I was having four days or more would go to Koh Chang. I like Samet for 2 or 3 days breaks from Bangkok, but not much to do other than lying on a beach.

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An Island Visit

I'd prefer ko Chang too, but the OP said he was looking for an island other than ko Chang!!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An Island Visit

Lying on the beach, having a beer and chilling for the week sounds fine. Why would I want anything else after the winter we've had in UK ?

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An Island Visit

I was reading about the oil spill but according to what I read it is all cleared up now. I'm afraid I can't recommend anywhere tho as I've only been once and that was 7/8 years ago and can't remember where I stayed. Just do a search through tripadvisor and check out the reviews.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,827 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An Island Visit

If you're in Pattaya, why not fly down to Ko Samui instead ?, its only a 50min flight from Pattaya. Have to admit I wasn't impressed with Ko Samet much at all last January, & wouldn't bother going back there.

Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An Island Visit

Yes I'd agree there. Samui is great. It's a long time since I was on ko samet but the reason I've never returned is that it didn't impress me at all.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An Island Visit

Thanks for replies but have been to Samui twice and wanted a more chilled out rest by the sea. My wife and I are in our late 60's and full moon parties etc are a long way behind us..I went to Koh Samet many years ago and found it very restful..

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An Island Visit

Hi,

In that case go for Koh Samet since it is relatively close to Pattaya. However, do be aware that it attracts a lot of weekend visitors from Bangkok.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An Island Visit

AjarnAndys right give Koh Samet a go. Maybe try 3 or 4 nights to start with and extend to 7 if everything's ok.

Sorry can't give advise on accommodation, I tend to stick to the budget stuff 600-800B on the Nadan Main Street. But for £40 a night you should be able to get something really decent perhaps further down the island on the quieter beaches maybe Ao Vongduen, Ao Thian or Ao Cho.

I've been to the island 4 times in the last 5 years, hired motor bikes and toured all round this small island. I thought around the Nadan pier, Nadan Main Street and parts of the popular beach SaiKaew, it was looking a little untidy on my last visit. However the beaches further south were better in my opinion.

Get answers to your questions about Pattaya