We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
Save Topic
10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Last time we were in Pattaya we flagged down what looked like a 10 Baht bus, but before we could get on the person in the front passenger seat said they weren't a 10 Baht bus.

I have read somewhere about people getting ripped off for getting what they though was a legitimate 10 Baht bus, but wasn't.

Is there a way of telling a genuine one from a fake one?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

My experience of Pattaya suggests if it already has people on board especially Thai people it will be a 10 Baht bus. If the bus is cruising around empty, its probably looking for tourists to book it as a private taxi. To sekond an empty Baht bus may cost up to 200 Baht. Try and agree a price before you get on with the driver

I would not say it was a rip off. These Baht bus drivers have to make there money as best they can. Supply and demand. There's enough tourists wanting to be dropped off on the doorstep ie Hotels, so away from the popular routes I think its fair the Baht bus driver can increase the fare.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Come to think of it, I think the one we waved down was empty. I'll try and get on one with passengers next time. Thanks for that.

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Never experienced this ourselves. We jump on & off empty baht buses all the time ( never empty for long) we've also used baht buses as private taxi's arranged price first off course. 20p for a bus ride or £4 in a private taxi is very very cheap can't get on a bus for less than £2 where I live.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,339 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

10bt around Pattaya, 20bt to Jontiem. The only place where I've encountered empty ones wanting to be hired as a taxi is in Jontiem

Pattaya
Level Contributor
489 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

If he ask you where you're going, it's not a baht bus... I have lived here two years, but never tried a baht bus trying to rip me off.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,003 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Usually a baht bus has a big number on the side. Some are a little gaudy looking, maybe some advertising on the side too. (Of course seats in back.)

On major roads like Sai Song, Pattaya Beach Road, Soi Boukhaw, Central Pattaya Road, South Pattaya Road and North Pattaya Road there are many of these baht buses. For normal use you just hop on and ring bell to get off or to change to another baht bus going in a different direction. I find that if you try to wave over a delivery truck or even a company shuttle they just ignore you.

If your hotel is way out in the boonies a baht bus driver may ask for more money but on ordinary routes on above roads 10 baht is usually the price. Maybe another 10 baht for long runs to Jomtien or Naklua.

You don't speak to the driver, just hop on, ring bell to stop truck. Pay 10 baht and WALK AWAY. Good idea to have coins. The driver isn't going to leave his truck to chase you because his money is in it. Hard to get ripped off if you don't speak to the driver before getting in. But if you do tell the driver where to go that is a custom ride and buyer beware!

For most destinations in Pattaya City area you can get there with a single baht bus for 10 baht or one change to another baht bus to change directions and pay that driver 10 baht.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Thanks for advice.

Could someone give an idea - how to find the route the tuk-tuk going?

how to get know the cost for a stepthrough taxi?

Thanks.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,003 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Where are you starting from? Way out in the boonies?

"Could someone give an idea - how to find the route the tuk-tuk going?"

(Passenger tuk-tuks not used in Pattaya for public transportation. Mostly baht buses-songthaews used in Pattaya.)

Main roads like Sai Song, Pattaya Beach Road, North Pattaya Road, South Pattaya Road, Soi Boukhaw and Central always have baht buses going up and down those streets. Choose the best direction, wave one over, hop on. Ring bell to get off near destination or to change directions for another baht bus. On a one way street they only go one direction. For rides on Sai Song (Second Road) or Beach Road choose one of the other. Sai Song North, Pattaya Beach Road only South.

Just like riding a bike, once you learn it is easy.

Not sure what a stepthrough taxi is unless you mean a baht bus/songthaew.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Ooops, sorry.

I forgot to mention we are staying in Sabai Wing it's a corner of 2.nd Beach road and 1st street.

We will need to go to near Banglamung hospital for that therapeutic massage and I.m looking for the options.

About a scooter- they called it taxi..ha-ha, I know it.s not a meter - taxi.

How much do they charge?

Also, how much could cost to go to Tukcom, as an example?

Thank you for help, appreciate very much.😎

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,003 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Baht Bus or not a 10 Baht Bus?

Ginger.

"..how much could cost to go to Tukcom..."

Try not to over complicate things. Walk to Beach Road. Get a baht bus going down that road. Since it is one way you you will be in the right direction. Baht buses turn at Walking Street. Some may head up South Pattaya Road and some turn at Sai Song. If they turn on Sai Song, ring bell, get off pay your money and cross the street. Walk or get a baht bus going up South Pattaya Road. TukCom on the right.

Not a bad walk from that Sai Song - South Pattaya corner but walk on the shady side. After TukCom is the Tuesday Friday Market at Soi Boukhaw and the Friendship Supermarket same side as TukCom but before Sai Sahm (Third Road.) Maybe 10 baht to Sai Song and 10 baht to TukCom or Soi Boukhaw.

Look the map over, find your hotel. Naklua at the top; find South Pattaya closer to the bottom.

thaiwaysmagazine.com/pattaya_map/pattaya_map…