We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

scotland
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

hi

booked 10 nights at cape panwa hotel in november,(1st time to thailand). after reading a few reviews of this hotel i am unsure whether i should change accomodation.

would be interested to hear from anyone who has stayed here and were affected by the near by naval base, eg muddy beaches and lots of noise from the ships????

all comments welcome

thanks

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

hello pinky,

I stayed at CP last Sept and loved it, but I think for your first

time in Phuket one of the other beaches closer to shops and

restaurants etc would be better.

I did not notice any noise from ships and the beach was beautiful,

the best part about the hotel were the staff, just lovely.

Maybe you could break up your time and have half at CP and half elseware.

We are going in May and having 7 days at Karon, 6 days Kata and 5 days Bangtao.

Always on our previous trips to Phuket until last year we have stayed

in Patong usually at the Holiday In And had a wonderful time.

Just looking for variety now.

Buy the way the beach at CP is quite tidal but when the tide is in its great. And its a private beach so no one will bother you, hawkers etc.

Hope this a little,

Lindy.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

stayed for 10 days last october. had a room overlooking the harbor. a few cruise ships came in during that time. heard no noise at all from them or other daily shipping's coming and goings. the long tail boats with unmuffled V8's were about the only shipping noise i heard.

the beach is tidal. in october we had good swimming from around 8am to 2pm. the tide went out in the afternoon to reveal a small coral reef and a silty/sandy seafloor. if you wanted to swim more then you could retire to two excellent swimming pools.....the one on the beach is great.

the hotel is a little bit isolated from the rest of phuket but that was what we wanted. a quiet time with good service, a private beach with no hawkers and reasonable food. and it was easy enough to get to the touristy areas if you really needed to and there were alternative restuarants over the hill.

i have read some of the negative reviews also and wondered if those people had actually stayed at the same hotel as i did. ok, it is not a modern aluminium and glass edifice that some people expect of a hotel these days and it is frequented by an older crowd and families. so make a decision depending on your age group, your night life preferences or need to be "where it's all happening".

i cannot recommend the cape panwa hotel highly enough

scotland
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

thanks for your comments, we are a young couple but not really wanting to be right in the centre at patong beach so dont mind it being a bit out of the way as long as its easily accessible by shuttle buses,taxi's etc.

our main concerns are that the rooms are in good condition (dont mind a bit dated), nice beach and friendly staff.

any further comments appreciated

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
358 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

If you have a look at my review of the Panwa, you'll see a photo of the room and the view towards the harbour. I agree with the others. Lovely hotel and I sometimes wonder if people stayed in the same hotel. Feel free to ask if you've any specific questions

Jim

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

hello again,

Yes I agree totally with the previous reports. My room looked exactly like the web sight photos, there had been a few bad repprts before I arrived last year and when I arrived I was most pleasantly surprised.The only draw back was the dated bathroom, but

still everything was spotlessly clean and the views from my room

were amasing.

The staff on the beach are great, can't do enough for you.

I loved the place.

Regards Lindy.

bradford
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

hi pinky!!

I am booked to have 4 nights at cape panwa in may for my honeymoon, i went on recommendation from friends who stayed there 2 years ago,

i have to admit i am seriously considering cancelling the hotel and changing hotels even though it will mean I lose out on the money.

as it appears that the bad reports are fare out weighing they good.

i would go as the others have suggested and split your time there.

it would be such a shame to be stuck somewhere you are unhappy with for 10 days

Essex, England
Level Contributor
546 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

Hi

We stayed at Cape Panwa in November and same as the other post did wonder if the people who gave such scathings reviews were at the same hotel. Thought the staff were great - especially the beach bar crew.

We had a room in E block looking straight out over the sea which was great.

The cruise ship only seemed to come in once a week and most people thought it was quite a sight and got their cameras out to take pictures. You saw a few boats in the distance but no noise from them.

As other reviwers have said the beach is tidal but there is a list in your room telling you the times to swim. When we were there it did vary and there are two pools if you need to swim.

Enjoyed a superb meal at the Top of the Reef restaurant there and also enjoyed the Thai food in the village at the restaurant there - reached by free shuttle bus from the hotel.

Yes it is a bit islolated but after going to Patong for one night - thank goodness . A good way to see more of the Island if you want to get out is by booking Mr Mor who is very good.

Please email me at richannette@hotmail .com if you would like some pics of Cape Panwa.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Panwa
Cape Panwa
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
London
Level Contributor
773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

The relative isolation and peace and quiet of Cape Panwa is what makes it so beguiling for me. The beach is stunning and, as most people are back off the back under the palm trees on loungers, nearly empty. Soft, clean sand, clear warm water. Really lovely beach bar staff who make a big effort to make sure you're happy... It's not a noisy, in your face sort of beach, just very tranquil and beautiful. Have a look at the pix on www.capepanwa.com

We weren't bothered by noise from ships at all. The whole place is very quiet and totally different from Patong!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Panwa
Cape Panwa
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
scotland
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

thanks everyone, i know everyones opinions are just that their own opinions and i should maybe just give it a go for myself! it is now a toss up between cape panwa and the katathani!

thanks all again,

Harlow Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cape panwa hotel. advice please!!!

We have stayed twice at the Cape Panwa and loved it,the staff are lovely especially down on the beach.The beach is lovely, not muddy at all, you can see all the fish swimming and if the tide is low you can use the pool don the beach.

The hotel is rather isolated but the hotel has a bus that will take you down the hill ( 5 minutes) where there are places to eat,I can really reccommend the Sawasdee, great food ,cheap prices, the lady who owns it and her staff are lovely and make you so welcome, you can even leave your laundry and pick it up the next evening beautifully laundered and for next to nothing.If you are looking for a lively resort this is not for you, if you want to relax and enjoy beautiful surroundings you can't fault it.Nearly everyone at the hotel has been back time after time so there must be a reason for that.We have seen ships pass by but no noise and it certainly never spoilt our days lazing on the beach

Mentioned in this post
Cape Panwa
Cape Panwa
Phuket, Thailand
Sawasdee
Sawasdee
1,545 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand