We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to choose in Phuket

Los Angeles
4 posts
Save Topic
Which area to choose in Phuket

I'm traveling with a friend to Thailand for the New Year's holiday. We've never been to Thailand before and are becoming confused by all the options. We are single, early 40s and like great beaches, not super commercialized, casual beach bars and a more laid back atmosphere- but not so sleepy that there is no one else around. Is there an area of Phuket that will fit the bill? We want to see Patong once out of curiousity but I doubt from what I have read we will want to spend a lot of time there.

What other beach areas are recommended? We are considering Krabi area, Phi Phi and Ko Samui but don't just want to hit the major tourist locations.

We're grateful for any advice.

Thanks!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

I would stay in Karon or Kata then as they are more laid back than Patong. They both still have heaps of restaurants and bars but are a lot more quieter.

Murf

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

We stayed in Bang Tao beach and also Karon. Karon was less busy then Patong but still a lot of people around especially that time of year (which is when we were there) . Bang Tao beach was excellent, lots of restuarants right on the sand to choose from, less touristy but still a fair amount of other people around. We went to Patong once or twice for a very short period of time while we were at Bang Tao beach and loved getting back up to the quieter area. when we go back to Phuket I will definately be staying at Bang Tao beach again but wouldn't go back to Karon (not because I didn't like it but because now that I've been I know where I'd prefer to spend my time.) Just my experience though, everyone likes different things.

London
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

Hi, We're also going out for xmas n new year, for around 6 weeks, all That you mentioned are good, as is Panang, we booking all our acc in Karon, just to be on the safe side, as it is the high season, and maybe spend a couple of weeks over in Ko Samui, its just goto be done! If i here anything else, will keep you informed, if you would care tyo do the same.

Tricky...

London
Level Contributor
773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

I agree - the northern beaches such as Bang Tao are gorgeous and there are lots of beach cafes etc. Take a look at www.phuketdelight.com as Ted Karma (who lives in that area) has some great info and pix on the best beaches. However, I got the impression there aren't too many hotels in that area, which is a shame. I'd avoid Patong, as that won't fit the bill at all, but agree that Kata/Karon is also worth a look.

Australind- WA
Level Contributor
86 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

Just back from our holiday in Thailand spent the first 12 days in Phuket we went into Patong once and frankly that was enough for us we spent most of our time in Karon and Kata which had plenty of nightlife and some great spots for dining personally loved Kata!

Trish

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

hello

I recomend Karon/kata we stayed over this new year lots to do nice resterants .hotel new years eve was great (gala dinner)

We stayed nearer kata at the anderman seaview great hotel great staff beach one min walk.

At night we eat at the resterants at the fromt of the hotel prices worked out at four main meals two deserts and 8 beers £13,00 great food

lots of bars and places to chill no way near as busy as patong but more chilled.

Took the tuk tuk over the hilla few times into patong New years eve was a riot in patong a must see.

also I found Karon a little cheaper than patong for food and drinks

But you will Enjoy your trip where ever you end up in phuket

tomtom

Perth WA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

If you like the beaches, try Karon Beach, this is South of Patong. You can hire a motorbike and get around quite comfortably. My Husband and self are going back to Phuket for a second time and once again will hire a bike to get around. It's the best way. Then we we are travelling onto Bangkok.

Hope you enjoy your holiday...

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,213 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

Kata only really has one beach bar, the Ska Bar (which is excellent) and the beach is nice but crowded; the sunbeds are packed together like sardines, as they also are in Karon.

Like the previous poster, I would consider Bang Tao or possibly Kamala.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

I would definitely recommend either of the Kata Beaches, kata yai and Kata Noi, although Kata Noi beach would definitely suite your needs

Surin Beach, Phuket
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to choose in Phuket

The northern part of the island is much more mellow, much less developed, much less crowded and just a more pleasant place to visit.

For Kamala, Surin and Bang Tao Beach areas a good reference is www.PhuketGoldCoast.com and for anything north of Bang Tao try www.PhuketNorth.com for NaiThon, NaiYang, MaiKhao and up off the island to NaiTai, BoDan and TahSai Beaches.

Kamala, Surin and Bang Tao are good compromises for people who want quiet lovely beaches MUCH less crowded, but still want a short taxi ride into Patong.