We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Topic
Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

Hi,

Looking to travel 15th-24th Oct 2018, 2 adults, 2 kids.

(Using each airline site itself)

Jetstar - $2663 *before* adding in luggage, food etc.. Direct Flight

Singapore Airlines - $2570 30kg luggage, all inclusive. 1 change in Singapore.

Thai Airways - $2703 30kg luggage, all inclusive. 1 change in Bangkok.

Air Asia - $2322 - 20kg luggage, 1 meal. 1 change in Kuala Lumpur

If I had to buy now, Singapore Airlines wins hands down.

However....

Do these prices get cheaper at a certain time before October?

Are these the best prices right now?

PS: Why fly Jetstar if they are the most expensive at this time of posting?

PPS: "Wacky" meaning.....Jetstar most expensive?!?!?!?!?

Edited: 14 January 2018, 13:26
55 replies to this topic
Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

There are many sales at different times during the year.....Australia Day is one time. Sign up for Airline Newsletters.

If it was me, I would choose Jetstar only because its direct.

There is an Air Asia sale just finishing, odd that it was that much.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

I agree a direct flight is good , but that price from Singapore Airlines including everything is very good compared with the Jetstar price.

No idea if they would change.

You do get the benefit with Singapore Airlines of daily ( or maybe depending on connections more than 1 daily ) routing so you can go exactly the day that suits you best. Currently you also get a SGD 20 voucher ( about the same as AUD$20 ) which can be used one way in transit for food / duty free etc , whether they will still have that promotion when you fly do not know , but handy if they do :)

You can transfer mileage between SQ and VA Velocity or earn Velocity milegae on SQ , I guess if you have a QF frequent flier you might get mileage with Jetstar.

Edited: 14 January 2018, 14:00
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

I really do not fly enough to want to accumulate flyer miles. It has been 4-5 yrs since I have been on an airplane, and that was to go to Phuket :)

October still considered a low season?

PS: Hotel sites offer special etc if you join their mailing list, do the airlines do the same (as in, "subscriber sales")?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

I have over the weekend book a SYD-BKK return for August it was about 648 AUD .

It is one the Emirates Flight and it is A380.

I have been checking the fares for about 6 weeks. The fare was 711.00 AUD just before Christmas.

As I fly a lot , I doubt it will get any cheaper.

In March I am flying on Thai SYD-BKK-CNX when I booked it in Sept it was about 650 AUD.

Chok Dee

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

Oh, here is another "wacky" Jetstar fare....

I just checked my original travel dated - 03-12 Sep (but now it is going to be 15-24 October)....

$1862.00 for 2 adults, 2 kids inc. entertainment pack, 20kg luggage but exc. food.

Same route, 5-6 weeks later......?!?!?!?!?

Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

Hi!

Yea, absolutely crazy!!!

I fly Jetstar cos it’s direct and the cheapest when sales are on! I’m going in aug and paid $199 to and $169 return b4 bags, meal etc about 3 months ago. Since then the sale has been 2 More times.

The best thing if you want a sale is to get the app I know the pilot and you won’t miss a sale! That’s how I got my cheap tix.

Good luck 😉

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

To follow on from "Same route, 5-6 weeks later......?!?!?!?!?"......

......nearly $1000+ more when adding in the same things.

The Jetstar app....does it give actual deals, or is it like Virgin Australia Happy Hour where you get an email, but everyone can see the prices...?

Something inside says fly Singapore or Thai (flew with Thai last time, they were cool)....no need to tick 100 boxes of options before purchasing tix, luggage, food etc...all included anyways.

I'm worried I will accidentally not tick the toilet option with Jetstar, and have to source my own paper, or even worse, hold it the whole journey! (an attempt at a joke, pretty bad yeah, but a decent dad joke though!)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

Jetstar is fine. Use them all the time. Wait for a sale or check every Friday for Friday frenzy. You can get great prices when you book along way ahead. It’s always a pain waiting for a sale, or when to book. The joys of travelling

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

With Jetstar it is a bit of an annoyance where every little thing has to be selected, you think you start off with a good price, then it escalates more and more.

Right now, Singapore and Thai are cheaper....without the worry of missing out on checking something off like luggage allowance etc

Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!

I just booked flights to Phuket from BNE in May (nothing direct from here unfortunately), so the only options we really had were Jetstar via MEL or SYD, or Singapore Airlines via Changi....by the time I added luggage and seat selection and meals Jetstar was more expensive than Singapore! So it was a no brainer for us....but I get what you're saying, its crazy to think Jetstar are actually more expensive than some of the premium carriers, when they market themselves as a budget carrier (goes to show, you MUST do your homework and compare!).

One thing I noticed was airfares fluctuate daily, and can vary considerably by changing dates to even just a day or two earlier or later. I ended up booking a flight & accommodation package through Wotif because it worked out cheaper, however this isn't always the case either so again, much homework and comparisons need to be made.

Reply to: Sydney to Phuket - Airline Prices - Wacky!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted