We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5.

Nsw Aussie
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 5.

Looking for suitable accommodation for family of 5 in either Karon or Kata.

Any tips please.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5.

So many places to choose! We spent awwww, 2 months deciding - finally chose Movenpick at Karon Beach after a close look at Merlin Beach, Holiday Inn and JW MArriott.

A few tips to get started maybe:

Budget?

Which beach - ie Patong busy, Karon quieter etc.

Kids clubs wanted?

How do you want your room set up. There are some places that offer family type accomodations eg Holiday Inn at Patong has interconnecting family rooms. There is alsoAppartment style Accom in Laguna - very reasonaly priced (think it's called Allamanda LAguna).

Why did we choose Movenpick? Karon is a quieter beach - maybe less 'seedy'. Large grounds and groovy pool. Large kids/games facilities (though this wasn't a priority for us). Close to shops and markets. And not too far from Phuket if we do feel like a night out.

We are not staying in the swanky villas (to pricey for us), but in the Ocean view rooms - interconnecting so our kids are close by.

Some of the reviews on Trip Advisor haven't been great, however I felt a couple of them where critical of aspects I found to be quite unimportant eg: not all Thais speak english.

Anyway, hope some of these questions help you to get started. Also, go to www.phuket.com - they have some great hotel pics.

Good luck

K wilyaroo

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 5.

Oh d'oh to me!

See you have already chosen the beach. Should read things, more carefully.

Nsw Aussie
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 5.

Strictly the ability to fit 5 of us, will research the rest later.

Beach nearby

Not too far but far enough from Phuket

Good Pool

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 5.

Hi again Newcastle.

I know the Movenpick has famly villas. They are 2 bedrooms with a main lounge area in the middle. Looked nice, but a bit pricey for us. Am hoping we get upgraded when we get there HAHA.

We did struggle to find any hotel accommodation that had 'two bedrooms' in our very middle class price bracket. We did go the apartment route for awhile, but then you dont get the breakfasts, nice pools etc. But it could be an option you could look into?

A couple of people also recommend the Horizon Karon to us.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 5.

We are a family of five (2 adults,3 kids). We booked the

4* Allamanda Laguna 2 bedroom fair view suite (cheapest view). It was really lovely, it looked onto the golf course. 2 bedroms,2 tv`s, 2 bathrooms, 2 fridges. You can buy a pass and use the other 4 Laguna hotels facilities and beaches. The Allamanda beach is really nice too.

The only down side was the distance to Patong & Phuket town ((app 30 min). Cost us a 1000 baht return.

Cessnock

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 5.

Hi Newcastle12

Didnt see when you were intending to travel?? We have two family groups of 5 that have booked 2 rooms each at Horizon Karon in June.

I have to admit, I'm a bit worried about the rooms not being close (we actually have requested adjoining rooms). It looks like I will have to wait and see. If your going after this time, I will have posted a review otherwise its up to chance.

If it helps, I have heard of a lot of other family groups staying at this hotel and not having any problems.

Enjoy your trip

Australia Newcastle
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 5.

Hi newcastle12,

We are also a family of 5.However travelling with other family members and one of my children will be staying in grandparents room.This has made it a bit cheaper for me.

After a lot of research with have choosen the Horizon Karon resort and spa. Have read good reviews on this resort and the price is good.

How old are your children and when are you going?

The-Cowies

Knowsley
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 5.

We are a family of 5 and stayed at the Thavorn Palm Beach in interconnecting rooms. The only complaint we had with this fantastic hotel was it was a bit too quite for us.

Cheers Tracy

australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 5.

I may as well add one more to the mix.

We are family of 5 heading off next Thursday 26 April. We've ended up booking 2 adjoining rooms at The Front Village Karon. Our main motivation was it looked nice, there were some good reviews and the price was just right 1250 baht per night per room including breakfast.

Bare in mind we haven't arrived yet so it could be an absolute disaster (Watch this space).

Spence

10. Re: Family of 5.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 20:20