We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Hampshire England
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
jbr

We have just returned from 2 weeks of heaven, it was our first time in Thailand and one of the best holidays we've had.

We flew with Thai airways and although the down side was no tv's in the seats the service we received more than made up for it. They couldn't do enough for you.

We stayed in Patong at the Merlin Beach Resort a beautiful hotel the pools were wonderful and the buffet breakfast was to die for. The staff were friendly and very helpful and efficient. The only down side was the location it was just to far from anything if you wanted to go anywhere you always had to get a taxi or a tuk tuk, the hotel are aware of this and put on a courtesy bus to take you into Patong or Phuket town, we made use of the buses a lot and never had a problem. I would have liked a bit more evening entertainment in the hotel but other than that I couldn't fault the place.

Patong was a lively place, we used a tailor called Tom's which is down the road from the Otop almost opposite the patong merlin hotel, my husband had 3 suits made each with 2 pairs of trousers and 5 shirts and it cost him 40,500 baht (about £600 ). He was pleased with the result and they couldn't do enough for him they picked him up from the hotel and returned him. Don't take a taxi there or they have to give the taxi driver a commission.

We of course went to Kitty's and stocked up on dvd's and cd's because we bought so many they worked out at about 60 baht each. we haven't had time to test them all yet but the ones we have looked at seem to be ok we are not expecting them all to be perfect but at less than a pound what can you expect.

We went to all the usual places the Gibbon and elephant rehab center which was pretty good with Charlie of course taking center stage, my daughter loved him and was thinking of ways she could smuggle him home. The Friday night social was good fun, good food and good entertainment my daughter made it up the pole my son wouldn't even attempt it ( not cool for a 15 year old!).

The John Gray starlight sea canoe is an experience I would not have missed, everything everyone says about it is true, we went on a sea canoe trip earlier in the week which wasn't a patch on John Grey, we even got to see the great man himself. Our canoe guide was lovely he reminded us of Captain Jack sparrow from pirates of the Carribean he was very knowledgeable, the food was lovely, a long day but very special.

Our day with Mr Mor was great he took us to places we would never have gone on our own and we did things we would never attempt on our own, he took us to the temple and showed is how to make an offering, we went to the waterfall but the highlight for us was seeing the massive Buddha they are building, we could not get over the size of it ,it was a shame it's not finished yet, but even so it was very impressive the scaffolding made of sticks was a sight in itself something you would not get away with in England. We had a blessing from the monk which was very special and he gave us bracelets to wear which we are still wearing. Mr Mor is a great guy he is quiet but has a wicked sense of humour.

Unfortunately we left on the 13th April so were unable to take part in the Songkran celebrations with Richard,we went to Bangkok for two days so didn't miss out to much. We had a lovely day in Bangkok with Nook arranged through Tong. We saw the reclining Buddha and the Grand Palace, we then went on a canal trip and got absolutely soaked from everyone throwing water over us we were sitting targets. We had just managed to dry off and then got soaked again from the evening celebrations.

All in all our visit to Thailand was wonderful, the people made the biggest impression on me they are so happy and friendly I have never been anywhere where I felt so safe and so welcome, they are hard working, respectful,and so happy we could learn a lot from them, the bartering is all done in good humour, they are only trying to make a living after all. The Songkran celebrations were so happy something like that in England would have probably ended up in a riot, although we did see some police presence ( one even got a taxi for us!) it just wasn't needed.

Now I am back with all the washing to do and the jet lag to get over, but it was worth it just to have experienced a truly different culture and a completely different way of life.

aww
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr

A great jbr, thanks, sounds like Bali might get the flick now, we go to both and find it hard to choose the best as they have many different attractions. Will spend Nov 07 in Thailand and March 08 in Bali.

Al

perth wa
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr

HI Percy,thanks for going to so much effort with your J B R.We will be at the Merlin Beach in a few weeks and its great to know that you enjoyed the hotel.It sounds like you a had a great holiday.

Bye Shelly

Perth
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: jbr

hi percy

that was a lovely jbr to read.

Darwin NT
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: jbr

Hi Percy,

Thanks for providing your JBR, you make it sound like so much fun, I can hardly wait to go.

Cheryl.

Manchester U.K
Level Contributor
350 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jbr

Hi percy, thanks for the jbr. We went to thailand for the first time last year, we met Richard and he took us to the Elephant rehab and Rawai Beach. We have never been so impressed by the people we met. Everyone was friendly - even when they had nothing to sell. We wandered around Bangkok and Phuket town at night and felt welcome and safe ( we live in Manchester so we're naturally cautious!) . We've been organising our second trip since we got back, 5 weeks to go - can't wait!

Sydney
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jbr

Hello,

With the suits, did you take one of yours and have it copied? Or did you select one from their patterns?

My husband would love to get a suit made but he's over 6 foot and I've been told that sometimes the styles are not what is in fashion here.

How do you find the quality of the fabrics?

Fantastic JBR. I now wish I had longer on my holiday (as I can't fit it all in).

Australia
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jbr

Hi Percy,

thanks for your great JBR!

We also stayed at the Merlin Beach when we were in Thailand three years ago and loved it too!!!!

Nicky

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jbr

Hi,

Thanks for your JBR - it was a great read and made me just want to go back right now! We also went to the Big Buddha with Mr. Mor. The size is amazing - plus the great views! Glad you have a good time - k

Melbourne
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: jbr

Welcome Back

Thanks for the great JBR. Im glad your first visit to Thailand was a good one.

Murf

Perth, WA, Australia
Level Contributor
311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jbr

Percy,

Thanks for the great JBR, it made me miss Phuket even more. I don't don't know if I can make it to November to go back to Phuket.

Maybe I can sneak a trip inbetween .......

J