We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Perth
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Topic
Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

G'day All,

Firstly, Thank you to all forum members, for your invaluable information and tips which greatly assisted me with the planning of my very successful trip. I will now try and give something back.

This is my Non Golf edition which will be followed shortly with the Golf edition which will hopefully assist all you golfers out there. I will break my report into paragraphs with topics and relevant info. I will try to keep it brief, if I miss ssomething, then let me know and will answer your questions, if I can.

Thai Airways - Perth to Phuket. - Comfortable flight with old style tv monitors on the wall. Picture was not great. Service was very good and crew were very friendly. Two meals were served and were very tasty. 6 hr flight.

Thai Airways - Phuket to Bangkok - 1 hr flight. They quickly fed a tasty snack before we landed at the old Don Muang Airport which was okay. On first entering the aircraft there was mist coming from all the ceiling air vents. It looked quite good once you convinced yourself is was not smoke haha. It was quite intentional and they switch to normal a/c before taking off.

Thai airways - Bangkok to Perth.- 6 1/2 flight. fed 2 good meals. Same type of aircraft as the one we left perth on. Bangkok new airport is huge. Lots of shops. Line up to checkin was very long and it took ages. IMO Thai is a great airline and I would fly with them again but the entertainment system could do with an upgrade.

PATONG MERLIN HOTEL - walking distance to the action on Bangla road in Patong. Patong merlin has two main entrances. The end near patong beach has the sunset bar etc, Kids room, medical and dental clinic and Merlin spa. Block 1 and 2 are close and you can hear the music at night coming fromt the sunset bar area until late. It did not bother me too much (i was in block 2) but I know of one couple who moved bcause of the noise. I will do a hotel review later but here are some of the finer points (Block 2):

1. Medium size room which was comfortable. Individual balcony overlooking the pools (standard pool view room)

2. Three excelent pools and great tropical gardens.

3. Don't drink the tap water.

4. Shower water smelt a tad funky.

5. Very friendly staff.

6. Awesome breakfast.

7. TV/Cable tv reception was not the best.

8. Room safe worked well

9. No alarm clock but reception did wake up calls.

10. A/C worked well and it was really needed.

11. No iron in room, it has to be requested from House keeping.

12. IMO, this is a very family orientated hotel

The reception area is at the opposite end of the sunset bar/patong beach end. It has block 5 and 6 there which are THE places to stay IMO when staying at the Merlin.

Street DRAINS in Patong STINK. There is no nice way of putting it. They smell bad and I kept holding my breath each time I crossed one.

ATM's - Everywhere.

FOOD - Cheap and a wide range. Loved the Lobsters, huge prawns etc. Lobsters and prawns are sold by the gram but make sure they weigh and tell you the cost before the drag it to the kitchen, espicially if you are on a budget. Loved the Thai food as well.

EXCHANGE RATE - I was geting about 28 Baht to the 1 AUD. Two More than what I was getting back home.

TEMPERATURE - HOT, HOT and VERY Humid. Last time I travel in April. Wow.Heat exhaustion and sunburn were a constant danger, especially on the golf course.

SHOPPING - Local products were good value. Electronics were quite expensive. I got a much wider range and better prices in Bangkok (MDK, Siam Square and Patpong)

PEDESTRIAN DANGER - Don't trust ped Crossings. Very few cars stop for them. Try to cross the road in numbers. I found it much harder to cross roads and get cars to slow down for you unless you were crossing with the "herd". Cars are right hand drive but they vary from driving on the left hand side of the road to driving on the right hand side of the road. It is a case by case or road by road basis. Look both ways to ensure that you see all incoming traffic. Scooters create their own laws and i even had one try to run over me when i sitting at a bar. Be aware and watch the kids.!!

MOBILES - I have answered a post today regarding THAI sim cards. Please review my ealier post and it should supply most answers.

MR MOR - A great Bloke and very knowledgeable. Had a great Day out and he can help you with just about everything. Loved the Hill top restaurant. Great views and excellent feed.

POWER POINTS - Patong Merlin has the duel type power outlet. It accepted both the 2 round pin type and the 2 vertical flat pin type. NO earth pin.

SONGKRAN FESTIVAL - Crazy day - Friday 13/4/07. Locals were selling bottles of water (approx 500ml) for 20 Baht so you could refill your water pistol. Everyone was armed with various types of water weapons including the crude but effecive 5 litre bucket. It was a drenching. Most enjoyed it but one or two should have stayed barricaded in their room. You did need a sense of humour. The aim was to get your water as cold as possible before dowsing the victim. Not sure if the was custom or just for the fun of it (i presume the latter). As the day/night wore on, the water became cloudier and I am suspect that some of the water was coming from the "don't dring the tap water" supply. Another custom was to get smeared with talc powder. Part of the cleansing. Very messy but it smelled okay.

I will end this report here. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will answer if I can.

Regards

Niko

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Thanks for the concise report. Glad you had a good time.

I'll take your info on board.

Looking forward to the golf report.

Chris

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Great report Niko, Im even looking forward to your golf one (and I hate golf haha) Think we would be one of the pains at Songkran, so would never go then unless it was somewhere way way away where its done the old way haha. (I can just see Gary clobbering someone)

Cathy

Perth
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Thanks Cathy,

The biggest pain was a little kid. He was about 5-6 years old and he kept sniping at me with Head shots. I caught him filling his gun from a tap and drain near one of the bars on Bangla road.

It is of no surprise that the last few days, I have fighting an ear infection, a stomach bug and a head cold. Needless to say that my couple of days in Bangkok were rather quiet.

Still, I had a great time. Now I must get better before work on Monday. Lots to do.

Regards

Niko

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Hi Niko, Welcome back.Enjoyed reading your report. Thankyou for bringing up the pedestrian crossing issue, Everyone heading over should be aware of this... Try not to think too much about going back to work over the weekend. CJ

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Niko, it sounds like some people really go overboard at Songtran, after reading the way it should be (or used to be before westeners and young Thais changed it) I know I would not like it. ((The first big boiler that caused me to slip or whatever, would pay haha)

I love crossing the roads in Asia haha. I tag behind Gary hanging on to his back pack (then if they dont stop, they hit him first hehe) If cars dont stop at crossings for us, he walks out and makes them stop - so far - so good, we are still alive.

I nearly get killed each time in Phnom Penh though, as I look the same way we would here, the way Im looking is clear then get dragged back by our friends as the cars drive the opposite side so I nearly get collected every time

Cathy

Perth WA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Fantastic report Niko, we have hired a car for two weeks when we go in June. If crossing the road is life threatening, driving a car should be a total crack up!!! Cant wait. There is nothing like taking your life into your own hands and getting the adrenaline flowing to remind you - your alive-

It sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Get well soon...

Shelley...

Perth
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Hi, Thanks CJ.

Cathy,

Over half the people I saw in Phuket (bangla road area) were getting right into the water fights. True that there were big groups of tourists getting right into but there were also a lot of locals that formed a few ambushes of their own. I did receive a couple of traditional style "blessings" where they slowly pour water over you from a silver bowl. Unfortunately, this was soon followed by the ice cold water in a 5 litre bucket. All in all, it was great fun but like i said before you have to stay in a positive mood and smile, even if the last one hurt a bit.hahah

As for crossing the road, I am amazed how some poeple who get quite drunk, can manage to get home in one piece. Must be some great mates out there who do the right thing and get the buddies home.

cheers

Niko

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Hi Cathy, I love peak hour in Kata in the low season it lasts about 5 minutes & thats how long it takes you to cross the road. lol CJ

Perth
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Thanks Shelley,

I used to be a thrill seeker too but I have used up 8 of my 9 lives so I have to be extra careful with this last one.haha

You have to be careful and watch out for the other guy. Have fun but be very careful. Do you have an international drivers license which is available from the RAC? It may help with insurance.

Have a great holiday

Niko

Perth WA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back Report - Non Golf edition

Hi Niko,

Yes we both have our international drivers licences. We also have full comp. insurance. I havent been a thrill seeker for about 20 years!!! I think this makes it all the more exciting. It could of been worse. I could be putting me ever expanding arse onto a poor unexpecting scooter bike!!! Dangerous, but a wonderful photo opportunity for the hubby...

Cheers,

Shelley...