We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

international sms

Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
international sms

Hi,

I have read all the posts and got good information about getting a happy phone card to call back to aus but i was just curious about sending sms? i understand that it will cost more than say interstate sms but would it cost my partner more to sms back or would he pay normal rate and i pay the extra?

I don't want to cost him heaps of money, i will just call him if it will..

thanks!

Meg

Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: international sms

I just activated global roaming on my optus mobile, they said they would charge me 75 cents for an sms but in fact they only charged me 50 cents per sms.I thought it was fine and I would/will do it again next time.

Pattaya
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: international sms

If you get a Thai mobile number through Happy D-promt and use it to send text messages I know that the charge to the UK is only 4 Bht I beleive this is the same charge to any overseas destination, remember to dial the prefix 009 if you are making a voice call to get the discount rate.

Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: international sms

oh wow thats soo cheap... i just looked on the optus website as to how much it would cost my boyfriend to msg me when in phuket and its only 35cents so that is pretty good! i had no idea what it would be!

London
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: international sms

When in Europe, there is a new cheap way to send sms text messages from a mobile handset to any international mobile. Check out http://www.10ptext.co.uk or http://www.blitzplanet.com.

You need a service plan that qualifies for GPRS, which stands for Internet on your mobile phone.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,906 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: international sms

Hi Meg, we are in Phuket now and I bought a Happy sim card, it cost 50baht for the card then I bought 400baht of credit.. I phone Australia a fair bit and send messages, think they are 4 or 5 baht a message, yesterday I phoned Adelaide and spoke for 9 minutes and the cost was 80baht, so its very cheap.

I also use Skype which is even cheaper again but sometimes the connection is not so good, so then use my mobile, though last night it was perfect and I spoke to msister in Aust for about 20 mins and the cost was about $1.60.

Cathy

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: international sms

Hi Meg, with most cellular companies, which have roaming agreement, your partner back in Australia will be paying extra, as you are having a Thai phone card, whereas you will be paying an international SMS rate, which is determined by that cellular company, when sending SMS back to Australia, but when you receive International SMS, it should be free.

Well, that how it should works, as this is the manner in which it works with my Malaysian celluar company.

I.e. if I roam with my Malaysian cellular, SMS Roaming is roaming partner(i.e. AIS or DTAC or True Move) charges + applicable taxes + a 10% roaming charges.

Just to share with you, when I am in Malaysia, and if I send an international SMS to you(in Australia), it only costs me RM0.20/SMS.

Just make sure your phone is not SIM locked.

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: international sms

Hi Cathy,

Just a correction - the sim card actually costs 400THB which has 50THB credit on it, not the other way around.

Cath, when someone calls you from Australia, what numbers do they put in first, before they phone the thai mobile number? I only used it to make calls, and didn't receive any, so I am not quite sure.

Do they call 001161 and then the mobile number of your phone?

Thanks,

Sandy

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: international sms

Oops,

I think I just got that wrong - do they call 0011, then 66 to get into Phuket and then the Thai mobile number?

Sorry,

Sandy

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: international sms

Hi, when a person in another country, calls a Thailand mobile number

it is "+" or international access code + 66 + network code + mobile number.

If that person from Thailand, needs to call back, and if mobile phone does not have the auto prefix "+", then with AIS:- "001" or "007" (though in AIS network. access code of "007" is for calls made from Thailand to Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia and Laos); with DTAC, international access code is "00" or of course "+", similarly with True MOVE.

Do note, if not mistaken, no Thai cellularl network has 3G capability at the moment, otherwise, while doing the Hong, you can do a video call and have your friends green with envy or sharing with them the sunset at Promthep Cape or dining at Phuket's highest Chinese Restaurant whilst yum cha at Royal Plaza hotel.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,906 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: international sms

Sandy, my family only messages me to this phone, they just addedme from a message I sent them, so not sure what numbers etc showed up.

Cathy