We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

Has anyone ever hear of this.. I have read on another website that Pink plastic bags means you are easily ripped off and black ones mean you are a good barterer.. Apparently there are also green and yellow and blue bags with different meanings

If this is true It would be handy to know.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

Actually I thought this was joke... I cant believe that anyone could be that organised..... Well, now this really sets up a challenge... Black bags here I come. Ha ha.

London
Level Contributor
773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

That's so funny. My husband is from Tunisia so is a super haggler as it's in his blood. I get quite embarrassed so not so skilled... I seem to remember getting some black bags on our last trip. Worth knowing even if it sounds like an April Fool joke!

Gold Coast Qld
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

yes also experienced this in bali. i guess its all the fun of it we all think we do ok then someone always gets a better deal. Deal or no deal cant wait for friday night on the big bird 00.35 sat morn yippeeeeee.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

Only saw white as well. Colour coding is big in Bali and the only place I've really seen any evidence of it.

Wendy

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

Thanks Richard.

The response I have had to this question is great. I will remember to take the white bags.. Its all so exciting its like a game bartering and haggling.. All the more fun whist on holidays.. i will remember to giggle with the locals at the red shopping bags if I see any this time... I will be the one bright red if I ever happen to get one this year.. I remember my first day in Patong from our trip last year.. I ended up paying $15 Aussie for a sarong and my partner laughed at me when we figured out how much I paid.. I was very careful after that.. I am quiet sure that would have been a red bag :)

Louise

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

Louise

a $15 dollar sarong sound have come n a red bag with flashing lights all over it! lol

But hey I think we all make some very expensive purchases when we first get there.....mine was a hat! broad brim with the thailand band on it! cant remember how much i paid now ( think i have tried to block it out!) but i do know that it must be one of my most expensive souviners and one that sits in the cupboard! lol

Enjoy you shopping ......white bags here she comes!

Cheers

Chelle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

OMG ! I have never heard of this one, and i have been over twice and have read heaps of books !!

And it's only because Richard has said so is that i believe it.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

Well, I'm going to look like a walking rainbow, cos with my bartering skills I dont think thee's going to be a lot of black!

Better start saving those white Coles bags.

Ao Chalong / Rawai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

Hello Shoppers

I've been having a good laught about the direction that this particular post has taken and I really thought someone would have called me gooney on this one before now.

I was very distressed when I read Phill64 's post stating that he believed what I said or perhaps it's just his way of gooning me in return.

Do they really do this coloured bag thing in Bali or have others been gooning us as well? As far as I know the bag colours are not dependant on race, religion, age, gender or excellent too pathetic bargining skills however I will still stick with the white bags.

Regards From Phuket

Richard & Megumi

Perth Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Do colour coded plastic shopping bags exist?

I know this to be true in Indonesia, although can't remember the code. The black and white striped bags mean one thing and the plain coloured bags another. One means hard barterer and the other means easy to push.