We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

elephant trecking

australia
4 posts
Save Topic
elephant trecking

hi can anyone please recommend tours that arrange elephant trecking . would like to do about half a day

Will be staying at both phuket and krabi so any where near either of those sopts would be good . Are they good for kids . We have a 7 year old. has anyone used nosey parkers elephant ours ??

cheers

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: elephant trecking

Hello Mich. At Kata Viewpoint (west side of Phuket) there is Baan Chang (Elephant house). I highly recommend it. There are nice views, a nice bar for the non-pachyderm inclined and best of all (after the elephant ride) there are 2 gibbons which will often come down and let you pat them. I took 2 friends there the other day and it was one of the highlights of their time here. Other than seeing me of course.

The gibbon made itself at home in the back of my pick up (ute to us) and I thought I would be taking it home with me.

Phuket Richard can give you a lot more info on this, there are links from the phuketalternative tours webpage.

All the best,

Mark.

australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: elephant trecking

thanks Mark

That sounds great

cheers

mich

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: elephant trecking

Yes Mark, I am probably one of those non-pachyderm inclined types. Feel my life will still be complete without riding one.

However I am a little confused. Is this the 'elephant rehab centre?' of Richard fame?

Are will still able to go there without you Richard?. I know you have a tour organised on the 9th, but we cant get along on that day.

I must admit to a bit of info overload at this point and am beginning to get confused as to where the Rehab centre is.

Thanks.....Scrambled brains at wilyaroo

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: elephant trecking

Wily, Baan Chang is the Elephant Centre of Richard fame. Theres directions on how to get there on my link below.

Cathy

cathyandgarystravelpages.com/baan_chang_elep…

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,533 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: elephant trecking

Kok Chang Safari has been promoted here on the forum as an elephant rehab centre, but it is a normal trekking centre, no rehab at all. It is the nicest in the area IMO though.

Everybody can go there.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: elephant trecking

Baan Chang is also a regular elephant ride place.

In theory, you could say that any place that has elephants working for tourist is a rehab, as the elephants are doing tourist work largely because logging with them has been banned. Some ele ride places are better than others, and Baan Chang has gotten some poor reviews recently in terms of elephant treatment.

Siam Safari might be a good choice...they seem to be quite conscientious.

7. Re: elephant trecking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2007, 13:49
SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: elephant trecking

Your the one that bought this post back up from the depths of obscurity where no-one would have read it anyway. But I think I speak for most people when I say "WHO CARES"?

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: elephant trecking

Yes,

" Whe're is moderation!!!!"

I guess we should all be asking that question.

Where are the moderators when this person is very obviously

not from Hawaii!!!

Maybe Phuket is more likely, and in competion to some very helpful

regulars on this forum.

Lindy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: elephant trecking

wahine_aloha

Hawaii

Forum posts: 5

(8583328)

More about wahine_aloha...

Posted on: 3:01 am, today Save

Thanks for the report- just out of curiosity why does Richard have to give you the briefing and not go with you to give you a full tour?

There were so many wonderful reports of his interaction with the gibbons.

Does anyone know what really happened with him and why he is forbidden to go?

In answer to this post on Bevs JBR part 2

Posted on: 4:31 am, today

The people who know him know what has happened, just out of curiosity, have you read all the posts on this subject? The subject of that particular person is basically barred or not accepted on this forum and phuket.com forum due to inflammatory remarks to his detriment, please dont respond T/A members, seems someone is maybe trying to get another arguement started just ignore and stick to the guidelines or we have been warned with banning from the sites. lets stick to the good stuff. Cheers, Sue