We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Well we are back again for the last few days. Thanks for sticking with us.

On Sunday we had arranging to go sailing for the day with Captain Mark of Phuket Sail Tours. We were collected from our hotel and joined another couple for the drive to the pier. This was a wonderful day and a great way to see the hongs. They are amazing and I had never seen any thing remotely like it before in my life. Mark and his crew are obviously competent and experts at what they do. If you would enjoy a day out on board a yacht relaxing with friends then this is a terrific way to go. Although it probably depends on the tides I loved the order in which Mark showed us a variety of hongs and I can still see them forever in my minds eye. It all seems a million miles away from city life. Anyway it was a day to remember and thank you to Mark.

After a day out on the ocean we were pretty tired so we had room service that night and then took a walk along the beach fairly late that night.

On Monday we had arranged with Richard to visit Baan Chang. I hadn’t been interested in doing this but Elizabeth found out about it at the BBQ and was keen to see and ride an elephant so I went along. It turned out to be a highlight and we thoroughly enjoyed meeting Richard at a spectacular viewpoint for a briefing and then riding an elephant through this most luxuriant jungle almost like a tropical garden but wild – we saw a snake and a few birds, the gibbon actually moving through the trees looping from branch to branch with long, long arms and tried some berries but most of all enjoyed the jungle and having my toes on the elephants skin. We were with two other lovely families, Andrew and Robyn and their daughter from NSW and Sosan and Byron and their daughter from Canada who we had lunch with afterwards and who were very kind to us - thank you. This morning was just relaxing and flowing and we were grateful as we had news from my husband at home that our other daughter in Barcelona had had all her belongings, passport and money etc stolen at the train station. She was really upset but we couldn’t really help her other than talk and reassure her. We hadn’t been told the previous day as they didn’t want to worry us before we went sailing with Mark. I found Phuket people in contrast honest (I mean I know bargaining is fair game) but I also know these things happen everywhere.

We thought we deserved a shoulder massage after riding an elephant and so we walked to Let’s Relax Blooming Spa www.bloomingspa.com from the hotel. It is gorgeous but a little more expensive than some of the other places.

Tuesday was our last full day and so we decided to get a driver and wanted to visit a jewellery store, a waterfall and a traditional beach restaurant at Kamala Beach. I spoke to the concierge and he arranged a tuk tuk driver for 700 baht and we set off for the World’s Biggest Jewellery store, which I hope, has authentic jewellery (anyone know??) and then the waterfall (Bang Pae waterfall). This was lovely walking up through the beautiful jungle with many butterflies along the path to see the waterfall. Here we had a few spots of rain which was the only rain of our holiday – I love a bit of rain and love a good storm actually. It was fearfully hot so we didn’t spend much time at the Gibbon rehab centre but we could hear them calling as we wandered about. Our driver Alee didn’t have much English but he explained what he could wherever we were. He was very nice and he and his wife had a new baby who was waking at night for lots of feeds. Anyway after the waterfall we set off for Kamala Beach as I had heard the beach restaurants were great – well we arrived and it was all packed up as it was the off season. Hmmm now what to do. We asked, with much miming, Alee to take us to a resort close by, if there was one, where we could have lunch and look out over the ocean. We were not sure if he understood but off we burned and ended up at the Rockfish Restaurant www.rockfishrestaurant.com – this was a perfect location looking out over the Andaman Sea and the bay as the tide fell and the food was one of the most delicious meals we had in Thailand. How lucky was that!

Back in Patong, after dinner across from the beach we needed a full Thai massage – more like a manipulation really - so we set off for Helloo I think it was called. Cathy mentioned it in a JBR. My God I felt looser and about ten years (make that twenty) younger as I floated out of there. Amazing. No oil for this type of massage - it was fantastic.

Well Wednesday arrived and we were to be picked up in the late afternoon for the airport. We spent the day at the beach buying up big and by the pool and had our last meal at the Busakorn restaurant in the hotel – we liked this restaurant just as much as our first night. But how sad it was all coming to an end.

Also bought up from the pharmacy - their cream for heat rash was cheap and effective.

We were packed up and ready to go with all the glasswear (and pegs) safely stowed in an extra bag. Annoyingly our private vehicle transfer did not arrive but the concierge fixed up transport for us thankfully. So off we flew home and now it is nostalgically all memories but like Arnie we will return.

If anyone is still awake after this oh so long meanderings – then all you lucky people with your holidays before you – have a great time and thanks again to all who have gone before.

Jane and Elizabeth

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Well that was quick... I didnt have to wait long for the next chapter.

Great read...You REALLY did cram as much as you could in your trip. Your 100% right, Baan Chang was a highlght for us as well.

Thanks for your review.

Warren

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Another great JBR - thanks again for sharing your time away.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Thanks Warren - I am humbled by your comments as I thought your JBR was a fantastic read. It must have been a lovely holiday for your family group. Aren't those guys on the trapize amazing with the parasailing!

Karen - have a terrific holiday in September in Phuket and at the Holiday Inn. We were very comfortable there and were one of the naughty ones who snuck over to the Busakom pool (we did buy drinks or lunch there each time) as we didn't have kids with us (sadly).

Jane

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Glad you enjoyed the remainder of your time, hope your daughter in Barcellona is ok now.

Lee

US VIRGING ISLANDS
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Hi Jane and Elizabeth,

Wow, what a excellent read. I am truly glad that you enjoyed your vacation and I am now only four weeks away from my journey. Do you by any chance know if facials are also provided at the Helloo spa and if so the prices? Once again excellent JBR.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Another great read Jane and Elizabeth, really enjoyed reading it. Can't wait for October !!!!!! Thank you

Rene

Australia
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Two great chapters Jane and Elizabeth - thanks for sharing.

It's funny how Thailand is such an addictive holiday location!

How's your daughter going in Barcelona?

Nicky

ACT
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Hi Ladies,

I would really love to hear more about Blooming Spa and whether you think it is worth the extra money.

We are heading over next week and staying at the Holiday Inn and I have seen Blooming Spas website (it's in my favourites!).

But your experiences would be great.

Cheers

T4

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Thanks Jane and Elizabeth for your great JBR. Sounds like you gals made the most of your holiday. Thanks also for the tip on the Rockfish Restaurant. Yet another to add to my ever growing list . I'm going to need at least 2 weeks there next time just to try all these places.

Hope your Daughter is ok. That would have been awful for her. Happy Planning with your return trip.

Jubby

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jbr part 2 28/6/07- 4/7/07

Thanks for your kind comments – my daughter has now returned home and is fine after a traumatic week. She had a fantastic year studying and travelling abroad.

The Blooming Spa is a little more up market (nicely styled between the expensive spas in big hotels and the many massage places you can find) and a great place for the more timid first time visitor (er like me) to start with a massage - apart from it being a really lovely place. We loved it there and had a head and neck massage one day and a foot massage another day. It is a little set back from the road and we walked right past it at first.

I am not sure if Helloo had facials available. I know Blooming Spa did.

Rene, Lee, T4 all have a wonderful holidays you lucky ducks.

Well Jubby you will have to do a Cathy - type long trip to fit it all in. Rockfish is certainly a very lovely place for a meal if you are near Kamala.

Jane