We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are heading over to Phuket in late Oct for the first time and was hoping someone could shead some light on the Marina Resort and Sawasdee Village.

We were originally looking at the bigger resorts, but since have decided to go for a smaller, boutique style hotel. We want somewhere we can retreat to when we want, but be close to the resturants, bars, shopping etc. Because of the time of year we are going, iam expecting it to be consistanly rainy and wondered if there is much/anything to do in the Kata / Karon area, or even at these to resorts? Anyone who has stayed at either of these places, your thoughts and info would be much appreciated!

Dazza

United States
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Those were the same two resorts that I had narrowed the choices down (and for the same time, late October) many months ago when I started looking. I ended up choosing a jungle room at Marina Phuket and booked directly through their website to get a significant discount. I can't offer much help with what's surrounding either resort since it'll be my first time in Phuket. As for the weather, I'm holding out hope since it's the very end of the wet season...

victoria
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Hi,

Sorry can't give you any of the info your after as i'm a first time

phuket traveller myself in late october with my boyfriend.

Anyways ive been told that it hardly rains in late october as peak season starts in november so you should still look at other activities you want to do rather than thinking of staying inside the whole time as you'll be delightfully suprised.

Beach-luver01

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Dazza24,

My wife and I have stayed in both hotels you are considering.....both resorts are quiet so don't expect to be able to do much at either, except relax and enjoy your surroundings.

Location wise, both are pretty good...Sawasdee is a bit further out the way, but we are talking minutes so no big deal.....

One thing I would say though, unless you go for a Garden View room at the Marina the room at Sawasdee will be significantly smaller.

Having been to both, I'd be quite happy to go back to either again, and will be in one or the other next April.

-James.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
945 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

We stayed at the Sawsdee Village last November for a week. The hotel is gorgeous, lovely setting, nice room for breakfast, but the room itself is small, and if I had to stay in the room for any length of time I don't know that I would have been all that happy.

We had a room facing the pool so had to have the blinds drawn all the time so folk at the pool coudln't see in. We're talking about 10 feet from room to pool so it's pretty close. The rooms are dark too as a consequence. The TV is to the right of the bed so when we did occassionally watch tv it was quite awkward. it's also a computer screen that yuo watch the tv on so not very big.

The bathroom is very compact too.

That said, we loved the staff and becuase it's a small resort it all feels very personal. We only paid GBP32 a night so it was a bargain for us. We might not stay there again though as it was just a little cramped for a couple. Pool area small too and the europeans bagged the loungers fast. We went to the beach, much more fun anyway.

Restaurant opposite the hotel called Deep Cafe - simple, nothing fancy but gorgeous. We ate there every night after discovering it. No hoards of tourists, but depends on what you like. the hotel is only a 10 minute walk at most to the main strip of restaurants. And also a few laundry places nearby, they were great!

This year we looked at the Marina but couldn't get a cheap enough rate to afford it for November. it looked lovely though. Can't comment on its location though.

Hope this hasn't confused you further.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Have stayed at Marina Phuket and had a look thru Sawasdee, we loved the atmosphere of Sawasdee, but did wonder about the size of the room as they look compact on all photos I've seen, so thanks for info.

Lee

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Thanks to everyone for your replys! Sounds like we have made the right choice on the Marina (or Sawasdee). We have booked the Jungle Room for 7 nights and the Ocean View for 3. Cant wait!!

And Beach Luver,

By no means will I be staying inside the whole time, but the reality is, that rain is most dominant in Sep and Oct (that is the monsoon season). It rains it's hardest at the beginning and end of the wet season - tropicalk weather patterns and very different from what we experience in Australia. A reviewer on TA said when asking a local while over there about the rain, he said, "It always rains in Ocmenber". I think that was October/November?. The weather can never be guessed, but November can still be a very rainy month, its luck of the draw. Dry days can not be assured until mid Dec. Here is two links you can look at that show the rain averages:

www.phuketdelight.com/Phuket_Weather.htm

www.phuket-guide.net/phuket_home/index.htm

Anyway, it will be an awesome trip...rain, hail or shine! I'm not trying to put a downer on it, just dont go expecting sunshine all day, every day and you wont be dissapointed. Better to expect some rain and be happily suprised with sunshine than the other way round.

All the best Dazza.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Anyone else with any feedback on the Marina Resort?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Dazza, my work mate returned to Australia yesterday after spending over a week at the Marina. They started off in a jungle room (which she raved about, said the place was amazing, that even the spoons were beautiful!!!). They made the fatal mistake of asking to see the grand villa..................they upgraded, she said the place is just awesome. She'll be back at work tomorrow (poor thing....no sympathy from me..............she's made me so impatient to get back to phuket and this time I'm staying at the Marina) Anyway, I'll get all the goss on the place and post back to you then if you like.

Jane

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Dazza, my friend just rang at work, her comment on Marina was "why would you go anywhere else when you've found the best". She can't stop raving about the place!

Any specific info you are after?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marina Phuket Resort or Sawasdee Village

Hi Jane,

The resort sounds fantastic and I am really excited your friend has such a high opinion of the place! Any info on the immediate area would be great. Are there any nice bars etc, and what was the pool like because it looks very small? Did they have service at the pool?

Anything you can fill me in on would be great, and thanks for the reply! Look forward to hearing from you.

Dazza