We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR : part 1

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
JBR : part 1

Well here it is for what it's worth. Please excuse typos:

Flew out from Adelaide on SIA to Singapore, then onto Phuket with Silkair. For those in the know, I survived the flight on a terribly inappropriate cocktail of various sedatives.

Arrived at Phuket Airport expecting full on customs – what a laugh. They just sat there and waved us on through!! The ride to our hotel was hairy to say the least. Our first experience on Phuket roads was a real eye opener. My two kids thought it was a great hoot not having to wear seat belts.

Arrived at the Movenpick at approx 9.00pm. Absolutely devine. See my separate review on this stunning place. I loved it.

The next day we orientated ourselves. Walked around Karon and stopped at a nice local eatery. Could not believe how cheap the food and beers were. Hubby in seventh heaven. Popped down to the Karon beach markets. There were not many people there and you are very hassled from the moment you walk in. I’ve got to admit, not something I really enjoy. Retired to the rather gorgeous pool bar for the afternoon/evening. Kids loved it. Husbands loved it more (happy hour) It was a great start to the holiday.

We booked 2 tours. I’m going out on a bit of a limb here. Despite the many great recommendations from TA members, we eventually elected opt for other operators’. Firstly we decided to go on a 4 in1 morning safari. If I went to Phuket again, I would most definitely be more adventurous. However for first timers with kids, this morning tour which included a 30min elephant ride and was perfect for us. The kids had a ball. It was a great way to ease into Thailand.

Came back and got ready for our Friday night BBQ and to finally meet all these famous names. Megumi picked us up at 5.30. (Gotta laugh here – Ricahrd called earlier to confirm pick up and that Megumi would be picking us up in a ute. He asked if I knew what a ute was- ummm, well being Australian and all..).

The whole Friday night experience was great. Thank you Richard, Megumi and Bev for the organisation. There were so many of us that night, I feel I barely spoke to anyone, but hello again to 96ers, Jean&Steve and of course maori warrior!! It was a great night. Watch out for the pina coladas – they’re deadly. Yes – I climbed the pole. My husband went one better…he broke the bell rope when he got to the top! It was a brilliant night and a unique experience.

We did not catch up with any other TA events, mainly because we were one of the few with kids. Hope you all had a great time at Molly Malones.

On the Saturday we took a tuk tuk to Patong. Prices from Karon ranged from 150 to 250 baht. We never bothered bartering the price as there were 6 of us and really it is very cheap and might I add a fun way to travel small distances.

We were dropped right near the Holiday Inn. Every sense was assaulted the moment you alighted. Especially the nose. It can get pretty pongy there. Wandered the markets and spent quite some time in the OTop. Didn’t buy much for myself. I am a size 10-12. Not a lot fitted. However, the kids came back with a stack of Tshirts, dresses and bathers and soccer tops.

Stopped at the ba hai (I think) for a foot massage. 250baht for 45mins of pure bliss. The girls were wonderful there.

Returned briefly to Scruffy’s bar in Bangla road to see if local AFL game on. The back to our hotel- yes you guessed, more time by the pool.

We had been pretty lucvk with the weather so far. Whilst humid and cloudy - only a few showers

THE STORY WILL CONTINUE.......

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR : part 1

And looking forward to it!

Sandy & John

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR : part 1

Sounds great so far, looking forward to the rest. The soccer tops, my 12 yearold is busting to get there and spend are they the same as you get here, FC Barcelona etc. We were in a sports shop on the weekend and there was a Manchester United shirt $130 made in Thailand, it was a Nike brand.

Thanks

Rene

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR : part 1

Can't wait for the next instalment.

MARGARET

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR : part 1

Looking forward to reading more, glad you were happy with Movenpick.

Lee

Ireland
Level Contributor
734 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR : part 1

Beautiful report, the senses really do get assaulted!

Even now, after three weeks...

Joe

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR : part 1

Great start Wilaroo, now as long as you behaved on the flight home, I'm sure a FF Bravery star will be in the post.

Sedative cocktails are allowed I'm sure....lol

Good on you for trying something different too!! Glad you all enjoyed the tour.

Looking forward to part 2

Jubby

sydney
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR : part 1

Hi Wilyaroo,

good to see you and family arrived home safely. I flew in yesterday as im typing this i still have the shakes and might have to attend AA from to many mai tai's

Great jbr can't wait for part 2 got some good photo's of bbq will send them through to your email

Will post my jbr when shaking stops should be about a week (ha ha

Cheers maoriwarrior

Australia
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR : part 1

Thanks for a good read so far and looking forward to part 2 - bring it on!

Nicky

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR : part 1

Hi Wilyroo Enjoyed your report and agree with Jubby, we will also decide after hearing about the flight on the way home if your entitled to a FF gold star!!

Cathy

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR : part 1

Dont worry about the shakes maori warrior. Eric had them too - in Singapore. We went from 60baht a beer to $12.75 a glass. Too poor to drink there....he's over it now!!

PS to those wanting soccer tops. The prices vary a heap. We got some great bargains and were cheerfully ripped off too. The quality of some of the (I think 12) my son bought are pretty average - he doesnt mind though.

Our best bargain ended up being bought in Singapore - a genuine Liverpool top for Singapre $99 - about equiv $80 australian. Prices for the Phuket tops ranged from 200 -300baht. Good value when your kid is going to grow out of them in 12 months. He thinks he's a hot shot now - got one for everyday for nearly 2 weeks.