We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel or flight first?

Western Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
hotel or flight first?

for those people who book on line.. which do you do first?

the flight.. and hope you can get the hotel you want, or the hotel and then hope you dont have to pay for nights when you arent there? I have always used an agent simply because of nerves about this issue...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel or flight first?

Assuming you are booking a few months in advance, I suggest the flight first. There are an abundance of good hotels in just about any tourism destination in Thailand, so accepting your second (or even third) choice hotel will probably not be a big downer. Worst case scenario, you may have to move hotels at some point, but even that is not a big deal.

I always book my flight first, since it is the single biggest cost.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel or flight first?

I would always book the flight first to make sure I got the dates I wanted.As soon as your flights are booked look on the internet for your hotels.

Once you have booked everything the first time you probably wont go back to using a travel agent.

MARGARET

United States
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel or flight first?

I booked all of my flights first (both international and the domestic within Thailand), and then booked the hotels. I decided, as others have said, that if my first choices in hotels weren't available I could find others. It's a little bit harder to be flexible with the limited flights than with the hundreds of hotel options.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel or flight first?

Choose what kind of vacation you want... relaxing beach.. adventure.. or whatever.... kind of holiday that you are looking for. Choose the time you want to go... are you forced to take the vacation when everyone else are going or are you able to be flexible?

Then spend time looking at both flights and hotels to see if there's something that looks good and fits your pocket".... also look at package deals.. you may just find something that matches perfectly with what you want to do.

You really do need to have the flights locked in, as suggested above, before you can begin to book hotels... unless, offcourse you book through an agency where you are able to cancel and make changes without a penalty.... hoteltravel.com offers this.. but they tend to be on the expensive side.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel or flight first?

thanx everyone.. we are going back to Phuket ( first time since the tsunami) and then onto to Pattaya ( 5th trip) .. so I will start looking.. not going till May next year, but I have the need to be organised.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel or flight first?

Imo packages are the way to go. You can still choose your own hotel which is booked along with a cheaper airfare ie Royal Orchid holidays (Thai) Qantas holidays, creative holidays.viva holidays etc. I think by booking too early you may miss out on specials that crop up from time to time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel or flight first?

Hello Sue!

Nice to see you here on the Phuket forum.

Like the rest, I think it's a good idea to start with flights before working on your hotels.

When are you going? Maybe I can come join you? ;-P

I missed my Phuket trip this year because of work commitments.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel or flight first?

Hi Sue,

Agree with the other posters. Book your flight first. I always book my international flight through a travel agent and book the hotels and internal flights directly.

By booking the international flight with an agent, we don't have to pay for it in full until 10 weeks before travel but book direct with the airline and it's full payment straight away.

Happy planning

Sarah

xx

9. Re: hotel or flight first?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 15:16