We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

you want to buy a suit????

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
you want to buy a suit????

Have just returned after 12 wonderful nights in Patong, but after going I have decided that the place would be alot better if they moved the tailors out.

Wouldn't you think after 13 days of walking the street they would start to get the hint...NO I DON"T WANT A SUIT!!!!

Also why do they persist in trying to shake your hand, my husband was more placid than I was when it came to them.

Toward the end I was becoming very rude and my temper was starting to mount so was pleased to be heading to Bangkok.

City rock is the plave to go for a nice cold drink after shopping and the staff are alot of fun.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: you want to buy a suit????

I know, sometimes i use to cross the road to walk on the beach side just to avoid them !

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: you want to buy a suit????

We just make out we don't speak English,

slight smile and shake of the head, it usually works.

I have found after a while they leave us alone.

Lindy.

Ireland
Level Contributor
734 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: you want to buy a suit????

If one simply wants to get from A to B on the beach Road, and not do any shopping, simply cross the road to the beach side and walk along the sea! Much less hassle!

Unfortunately, this year I thought the beach road had become much busier with the new one-way system; crossing wasn't easy at times.

If I was going for a drink in Mollys, I would always do this.

Joe

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: you want to buy a suit????

Hi There Joe,

Good to see you back on TA.

How was your trip home??

Hope Mum's ok, we are looking forward to your next trip to Thailand,

we so enjoyed your posts!!

Lindy.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: you want to buy a suit????

Hi PennyAnn,

Yes they can be annoying but when they put their hands out we put ours in our pockets, smile and keep walking. The other thing to do is don't make eye contact, wear dark glasses, Say "no speaka da inglish"

Or try looking beyond them like you have just spotted your best friend behind them and walk quickly past them.

After 12 days last time we were there and after walking out of our hotel 2 or 3 times a day past the same suit seller Jane got so sick of that same question she stopped and said, " i have walked past you maybe 60 times in the past 2 weeks, don't you recognise me by now, i say no every day but you keep asking" His reply was sorry but you all look the same to me.......What change to we have......

Cheers, Pete.

Ireland
Level Contributor
734 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: you want to buy a suit????

Thanks, Lindy, all is well. I have a couple of hundred photos I'm proud of (so far).

Peter, I just spoke Gaelic (native Irish) to them.

Now that got a reaction ok...!

Joe

RB2
Perth WA
Level Contributor
648 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: you want to buy a suit????

Yeah they can be annoying but dont see them as a big hassell.

I just say no thank's and keep walking, bit used to it now but understand the frustrations that they cause.

The stretch between the Holiday Inn and Molly Malones is the gauntlet and if you want to avoid it then just walk on the beach side.

Same as the people on the motorbikes that ask if you speak English, just ignore them they soon get the hint and NEVER take the scratchie card that they offer you, it could ruin your day.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,772 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: you want to buy a suit????

Did you not buy the T-Shirt:

On the front - NO, I don't want a suit!

On the back - NO, I don't want a taxi!

Nearly as popular as the "Same, same " on front, " but different" on back model!!

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: you want to buy a suit????

Except the t shirt my husband bought said

No I Don't Want A fXXXing T shirt

Suit

Tuk Tuk

Gem Shop Etc in THai,

The Thai's loved reading it out and had lots of laughs!!

Lindy.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,772 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: you want to buy a suit????

In Thai is even better! LOL