We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally able to start on JBR part 1

Melbourne Aust
Level Contributor
469 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Finally able to start on JBR part 1

We flew out 11.30pm on the 9th Aug with Thai airways. What a fabulous company to fly with. Food, service, tv programs all very good.

Arrive in Bangkok at 5.10am on the 10th and have to find our way to the domestic section. It was at least a 25 min walk from International, we had to ask directions in the end it is so big!

Arrive in Phuket at 8.45 and transfers to the BanThai very quick and efficient. All our transfers from airport to resort, resort to ferry for phi phi, phi phi back to phuket airport, bangkok airport to Hotel and hotel to bangkok airport all done with Asian Trails and they never missed a beat. They were always on time or waiting for us. Would use them again.

Waiting at the Banthai for check-in, the receptionist comes to us after an hour waiting and tells us that "they have a water problem in the 3rd wing and no-one is able to occupy this wing for 2 days so they are going to transfer us to another one of their resorts, would that be OK with us?"

Not happy about it but if that's the problem and they can't put up people in a wing with no water then ok we'll go to Patong Resort for 2 nights then back to the BanThai.

What a d**kh**d. It wasn't until later that day that we found out that this is their excuse for overbooking!!!!! I was pissed to the max. NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!! Oz is telling me, it's ok, maybe they've really got water probs and not conning us!!! Yeh right!!!

Well the Patong Resort has a smell about it, I walk thru the foyer not happy, making sure the girl from the BanThai is definately picking us up on Sun BEFORE lunch. Yes she says and as she leaves, in her broken English, she says "pick you up at 2pm". I'm standing in the foyer looking at her as she walks off, almost in tears, saying to Oz "what did she say", "better not be 2".

We get upto the room, which I didn't like - very dark, but Oz thought was fine. It did have big double doors that opened up with a view of the mountains overlooking the pool. So the room was bearable. No point unpacking as we're moving on after 2 nights. Doesn't make for a settled start to a holiday. Well at least we had our Friday night BBQ to look forward to.

Rang Richard to inform him of our Resort change and our room no. We're not down on his list. Oh no! Hey but that Ok he says we can fit you in. He recalls my emails to him so he knew when we were arriving, someone had just forgot to add our names to his list.

What a great little restuarant they hold the BBQ at. Great food and great service. I've got to admit by this stage, we're both a little tired but we weren't going to miss this night for all the tea in China.

Onto the Sunshine Bar for a great night and to climb a pole. Well I woozed out and didn't climb it but Oz did. I don't think my hands could have gripped the pole anyway, by now I'm really stuffed but we kept on keeping on. Picked the ladyboy, but only one. They do look so good, at times it is hard to tell (as one of our nights in Bangla rd proved lol, more of that soon).

Some of our passengers got out at the Banthai so we jumped out as well as the Patrong Resort "was just down the road and down an alley". We had both fallen asleep so I jumped out to wake ourselves up with the walk. Oz was not impressed. He was staggering all over the place and I had to hold him up he was that tired. We missed the alleyway and had walked to Bangla Rd almost when I realised so we back tracked, found the alleyway and then found our room. God knows how with alcohol and tiredness mixed together.

The next day was our Anniversary and the Patong Resort was not were I wanted to spend it but not much we could do about that. Walked to the end of the beach and then back to the other end of the beach, got accosted for suit sir, suit sir. "No thanks" "no thanks".

One thing that impressed me was that when they ask if you want a taxi or tuk tuk and you say "no thanks", they say "thanks" and leave you alone. They dont chase you or grab at you.

We went to Molly Malones for the TA get together. Bev you did a great job with the name tags and just organizing the whole thing. It was a great night and there were only a few of us left. Met some lovely people and from the BBQ night as well as the TA night. Thanks again Bev for a great job you did. You are such a likeable person, no wonder you had so many people want to come.

It was at the TA get together that we met a few couples staying at the Banthai. They told us that they too had been told about the water problem and would need to be put up at another Resort. they recognised it as overbooking rooms and said basically no way, we've paid for a room here, get us a room. they waited 7 hours but got one and another couple waited 9 hours and got upgraded to a huge suite.

This now confirmed that we had been conned and that they had overbooked rooms.

Before we were taken to the Patong Resort I had to sign a letter stating we accepted going to the other resort and we get a free dinner for it. Didn't read the last paragraph until the day we arrived at BanThai.

We caught the transfer to Banthai with another couple who were fed the same crap about water, but they realised the resort had overboooked so for their inconvenience they ranted and raved for more than a dinner. They got an upgrade to a part kitchen with pool access room. They told us about the 3rd paragraph.

"What's that" I say. "You sign the paper agreeing not to make complaints against the overbooked nights when you return home" they say.

yep that's right, when I reread the letter, they try to get you that way also!

I need to add here that our time at Banthai was done on our timeshare and part of the timeshare at the resort is that the timeshare rooms have mini kitchens and pool access on the ground floor. So when the other couple told us about their upgrade I felt better because they described what our room would be like.

We checked in and told to go to the 4th floor. I'm so dumbfounded that I don't say a word, just follow the lady taking us to our room.

We walk in, the the room is lovely, door opening out onto a small balcony overloooking the pool. Oh we also have breakfast included in our holiday (timeshare doesn't included breakfast). I give up, no point complaining, at least we're at the Banthai, got a room and now I can unpack.

I'll give you a break and be back for part 2 soon. Sorry it's so long, hope not too boring.

Kerri

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally able to start on JBR part 1

Great read Kerri.

Yeah..the overbooking scam works overtime in Phuket...but at least you were patient enough not to allow it to ruin your holiday. Good on you! Unfortunately no one enjoys being scammed. Make sure you write that about this in the TA Hotel review. Other will also learn from your experience.

Looking forward to your next chapter.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally able to start on JBR part 1

Hi Kerri

Bit of a let down to the start of your holiday, hope it improved. Looking forward to the next read.

Lee

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally able to start on JBR part 1

Im staying at Banthai in peak period January next year and i will definately (thanks to you informing me) be conned like that!!

Thanks for making me aware.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally able to start on JBR part 1

Hi Kerri,

What a dreadful start to your holiday, you must have been fuming.

Hope the rest turned out OK? Look forward tot the next installment.

Sarah

xx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally able to start on JBR part 1

Hi Kerri

Im staying at the Banthai in October for my birthday and anniversary

so thankyou for the for warning

Im glad it did not ruin your holiday

I dont know if I would be so patient

looking forward to reading your part 2

cheers julie

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally able to start on JBR part 1

Hi Kerri & Oz

Great to meet you both and sorry we didnt get to spend a bit more time together. We are planning another holiday same same time next year..........want to join us ???????

Super read and sorry you had the hassles, next time will be better.

Love

Bev & Barry

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally able to start on JBR part 1

Hi Kerri, great read so far, well done on mentioning the scam, now other people staying there are aware of this. Look forward to reading part 2.

Rene

8. Re: Finally able to start on JBR part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 15:19