We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong Resort Hotel? Hotel Recommendations?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Patong Resort Hotel? Hotel Recommendations?

I will be in Phuket October 29 – Nov 3 (arriving late the night of the 29th).

I will have the day of the 30th free and then have work meetings October 31 & Nov 1.

I have extended the trip until Nov 3rd, so I will have a few days on my own.

The hotel chosen for the meetings is the Patong Resort Hotel.

My questions are as follows:

How is the Patong Resort Hotel? Reviews sound mixed.. Should I stay at a nicer hotel nearby (would need something very convenient to the Patong for those 2 days)?

What about from Nov 1 – 3rd? What is the best area of the island to stay? Should I switch hotels? I will be responsible for the accommodations myself for those days (and understand Nov 1 is start of the peak season). I’d like to stay somewhere nice, in a convenient area, and will spend up to US $150/night. I am a female in my early 30s and will be on my own for those last 3 days.

Lastly, my flight on Nov 3rd is late at night (10 pm or so), will I need to book the hotel and pay for Sat night?

Thanks for your help!

Perth
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong Resort Hotel? Hotel Recommendations?

Hi,

I would recommend the Patong merlin. It is in the southern end of Patong beach. Best rooms are the pool view in blocks 5 or 6.

Three great pools. An awesome beakfast is usually included in the package.

Very popular with us Aussies. The Holiday Inn is real close to Patong merlin but a bit more expensive.

These places do book out early so you need to arrange it very soon.

As for the late checkout, you will need to discuss this with your hotel. It takes about an hour from Patong to the Airport. Make sure you leave yourself plenty of time in case of traffic problems and/or airport delays etc. The hotels do allow late checkouts for a fee but at some stage they may require you to book another night.

Hope this helps a bit

Have a great business/holiday trip

Regards

Niko

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong Resort Hotel? Hotel Recommendations?

Thanks for the tip! How far is the Patong Merlin from the Patong Resort Hotel??

Is Patong the best area of the island to stay for the days I'm on my own?

Perth
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong Resort Hotel? Hotel Recommendations?

I most probably passsed it but I can't place where the Patong resort hotel is in relation to the patong Merlin.

Patong merlin is in the southern section of patong and it is about 10-15 mins walk from bangla road which is north.

Patong is where most of the action is (Bangla road is the main area). There are the restaurants, shopping centres and Bars/discos. There are nicer areas like Karon beach etc but can be a little quiet at night if you are going solo. The beaches north of patong a excellent with magnificent golf courses but can become too peaceful after dinner which is perfect for couples, I suppose but kinda boring for solo golfers etc.

Recommend you grab a map of the island from the net or from a travel agent which shows you all the resorts etc. I try to keep my travelling on phuket roads to a minimum if I can. It can be very entertaining to say the least.

If you need to see the island, then I recommend a driver (mr Mor) who is awesome and very popular so you need to book him early. His details can be found on this forum with a quick search.

Well, hope this all helps a bit.

cheers

Niko

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong Resort Hotel? Hotel Recommendations?

Hi CaboGirl,

We stayed at this hotel in August. Are you in the main part of the resort (Deluxe rooms) or in the wings (Superior rooms)? If you are in the Deluxe rooms I would suggest you don't change hotels, as it was fantastic, but Superior rooms not so nice. The hotel is lovely, great breakfasts with (as always) friendly staff, 2 lovely pools, massage area, etc. All-in-all a lovely place to stay.

If you do want to change then the Patong Bay Garden Resort is another lovely hotel with great location. If you like the nightlife and pubs, etc, Patong is the place.

On your last day, you could book with Mr Mor as suggested for a day tour and leave your luggage at the hotel until you get back from your tour, go for dinner and then get picked up at your hotel for the airport (so I don't see that you would need to pay for that night).

Hope this helps

JILL

5. Re: Patong Resort Hotel? Hotel Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 03:16