We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

Hi All,

Firstly i'd like to send my condolences to all affected by the tragic plane crash yesterday. I

I need some info on immunisations. We will only be in Phuket and would like to know if it is advised or neccesary to get shots. If so, can a local GP do this? We leave in a month, and from my understanding, those that have had shots need to have them at least a month before travel? I have been in touch with a travel doctor here and they want to charge $100 for a consult, that's before the shots! Not sure weather thats a money making venture...but sounds a bit steep.

Any info much appreciated.

Dazza.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

Hi Dazza.

We returned last month following a 2 week holiday in Phuket.

The only immunisation we got was a Tetanus booster. Our doctor advised if you were staying less than a month, not spending lots of time in bushland etc, that was all that was needed.

Enjoy your holiday in the land of smiles and we are counting down until our next trip in August 2008. Sigh.......um.......sigh.....such a long way away.

Enjoy

Bev

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

No, I would not sorry about that.

Sydney
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

better safe than sorry.

Don't get ripped off by 'travel doctors' though.

I made that mistake last year and myself and GF paid $500 to get shots.

This year for my boosters I went to my local bulk billing GP, who had the shots there and Only paid for the medicine, which if you're in private health care can claim some of it back.

If they don't have the medicine in stock they give you a script which you take to the chemist and get the medicine, return to the doctor and get the shots administered.

easy.

I'm thingy about Hep A so I got the Hep A Typhoid combo shot, a tet booster, and because I'm under 30 got a free mumps vaccine. This year i just needed a hep a booster - cost me $70.

hep B is the one that you need to think about, if you're doing any 'out there' sort of activities (renting a motorbike etc) and there is a chance you may get hurt and need a blood transfusion or come in contact with someone else's blood Hep B is a good idea, however weigh it up with the risk. For me its very minimal so I didn't bother (touch wood)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

Hi Dazza

We have never worried about shots when going to Phuket. Just eat and drink as recommended and take some pills to settle the tummy.

Kelly

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

Hi Dazza,

My local GP here in Melb advised that we (there's 5 of us travelling) should get the Hep A & B as well as the Typhoid shot even though we are only going to be there for 2 weeks & we are not travelling around rice paddies / forest trekking etc. I was only charged the addtional for the shots which was less than $100 & I can get some of that back from private medical insurance. I haven't previously being immunised for these so I would rather be safe than sorry.

The typhoid shot requires a booster in 4 weeks time & then a follow up one in a bout 6 weeks & then you are done.

Hope this helps.

Leanne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

Sorry the last sentenance should read:

The typhoid shot requires a booster in 4 weeks time & then a follow up one in about 6 months & then you are done.

Not 6 weeks like my first post.

Leanne

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

I have had Hep A & B immunisation courses through my employment in the health industry, so only had a tetanus booster as it was well overdue. My hubby, not being a great lover of needles checked with our GP who advised that unless we were going off the beaten track where sanitisation could be questionable, we would really not need any other immunisations. My first trip to Thailand (years ago), I got talked into having malaria tablets and all it did was make me feel ill every day. I can't remember the travel web site that I double checked on, but they all say as our GP suggested.

Lee

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the Hep A, Hep B, and tetanus shots are the go......best to be safe i suppose. Red40Melbourne said they had Typhoid shots as well.....does anyone else no if this is really neccesary?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

Hi Dazza, this is from the report that my Doctor received back from the Travel Health Service: Recommended immunisations for your journey, Hep A, Typhoid, Tetanus. Immunisations to be considered : Hep B and Rabies.

My sister had the Hep A and Typhoid in the 1 injection, where as the same Doctor gave me Hep A and B in the 1 injection (Twinrix) and a seperate Typhoid injection. I have to go back in 2 weeks time for the 2nd Twinrix injection and then after I get back from Thailand for the 3rd Twinrix injection. That lasts for up to 20 years. Typhoid lasts for 3 years.

We are going to Bangkok, Kanchanaburi and Phuket but my husband and the 2 other male travellers with us are not getting any injections at all.

Rene

brisbane
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Immunisations for Phuket - needed???

Hi Dazza

I know what you mean about the cost of the Travel Doctor, but we did get all but $10 back from medicare & was confident that the vacinations were appropriate for us.

We were given HepA/Typhoid combined & tetanus/diphieria/whooping cough/polio combined. So only 2 injections.

We can get a further HepA in 6 - 12 mths for life time immunity.

Hope you have a great trip!

Peta