We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Woodend, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

What can I say about Mr Sam..

We always have Sam as our guide, and as this trip was a last minute thing for us, he was heavily booked.

He did however organise a day for us in the first week and then kept the next weekend free for us as well.

We decided that as we have done lots of ‘touristy’ things in the past that this year we would get Sam to take us up to Khao Lak for the day. We left quite early and headed north. Sam as usual did the commentary all the way. At one stage he told us that his brother Rit lived at a place north of Khao Lak and that he hadn’t seen him for over a year. So of course we said we must pay him a visit. Rit is a policeman in the province past Khao Lak. Sam rang him and organised to meet him for lunch, which we did.

He is very much like Sam only a few years younger. Very nice man although he didn’t speak much English. Sam did all the interpreting of course.

We had a fabulous lunch at a little ‘café’ for about 550 bht which fed 5 of us with heaps left over. Very yummy!

Sam decided it would be nice to see the big dam which was about another hours drive north. We were enjoying ourselves so we said we’d love to. It also gave him a chance to catch up with Rit (who had organised to have the rest of the day off).

We drove through the most beautiful country side into the mountains that had cliff faces of about 75

Degree angles. They were amazing.

Little did we know that after seeing this massive dam, that it would start to pour and by the time we got back to where these sheer cliffs were, there were landslides happening right in front of us, blocking the road as we were driving. Talk about a thrill, it was quite scary, but Sam managed to get us all through just in time. I’d say another ten or fifteen minutes and that road would have been totally blocked. As usual we had a great day with Sam.

Our next outing with Sam was even better. He had organised for his wife Joop and four year old son Sum to join us on an overnight stay to Phi Phi island. It was awesome. Sam and Joop had organised for us to stay at the Phi Phi Island village resort and it was just beautiful. We were picked up from our hotel in Patong and driven to the ferry where we met up with Sam, Joop and Sum. The ferry ride over was great with Sam giving us a detailed account of all the islands and areas on the way. We pulled into the main port area on Phi Phi and were then transferred to a long tail fishing boat for the rest of our journey around to the other side of the island.

The resort was magnificent. Sam took us out snorkelling in a fishing boat and gave us a tour round the area. It was so much fun.

We had dinner with the family that night and it was so good getting to know little Sum. Sam is teaching him English so we spent a lot of time talking to him and getting him to practise. He can sing “Love Potion number 99999 in English –sooo cute.

Our Phi Phi adventure was just made so much more special with Sam and Joop because you really get to experience the real culture which we love.

Our trip back from the island was not as good, as a terrible storm started just as we got back into the long boat. Even though the resort staff gave us rain coats we were absolutely drenched. But it was really good fun. I couldn’t stop laughing because we all looked so funny.

After we got onto the big ferry for the trip back to Phuket I was starting to feel a little seasick so Sam sat outside with me on the deck while my husband and daughter slept inside in the dry and warm seats. It was really rough and we kept getting wet from the rain and sea spray, but good old sam stuck it out with me.. It was too rough even to try and get up and go inside. Finally we made it back safe and sound.

As always another wonderful time spent with Sam.

I wonder what he has planned for us next year. Can’t wait to find out!!!!!!

Hope you all enjoyed my JBR. Sorry it was so long.

PS

We met a lovely guy called Rex in the Aussie bar while watching Geelong beat Collingwood. He is an Aussie expat who is a project manager of a new resort being built in Patong.

We spent quite a bit of time with him and got to know the area through his eyes. Quite different again.

Keep an eye out for him. Khaki shorts, singlet, work boots and cap. (Yeh I know, that could be any one) look downstairs in Aussie Bar, rHe's a regular.

He loves catching up with his fellow country men.

Anyway that’s all

Regards Liz

Aussie
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Hi Liz,

sounds like you had a great time. It must have been a great feeling for you when Sam and his brother met up after so long. It was great that you were made to feel part of the family.

Trip to Phi Phi Island sounds like a nightmare trip to me!!! But it sounds like you made the most of it!

Thanks for sharing

Karin

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

HI

Thanks for sharing your JBR your trip to Phi Phi sounded wondefull and it was nice that his wife and son could join in. Shame about the storm but not a lot can be done about the weather it sounded fun in khao lak though. Sam is a wonderfull guide and what better way to see phi phi. He will allways come up with a good tour and really does try and give you a thai experience that you will never forget.

Julie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Thanks Liz

We were able to spend a day with Sam back in April (booked from your JBR recommendations last year) and he really is so proud when he talks about his son and wife. It would have been wonderful to have spent such fun times together with him and his family. Hope you have better weather next year.

Lee

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Hi Liz, what a wonderful time you had, Sam sounds more like a friend to you then a tour guide and it was nice that he's wife and son joined him on the Phi Phi trip. Will keep our eyes out for Rex as wll. Thanks for the read, Rene

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Hi Liz, I enjoyed reading your report. It sounds as though you guys had a great time and enjoy being with the locals, as we do. We often go away with Thai friends to places that tourists don't see. It's so good to stay with them in their homes or in small, out of the way places, isn't it?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Thankyou Liz

Sounds like you had a great time with sam even though you were sea sick

I have a day planned next week with sam myself

we have left it all up to him to plan for us

and I am also going to be blessed by a monk

That could be interesting

thanks again for taking the time to tell us all about it

cheers Julie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Thanks Liz for your great reports. Your day with Sam sounded amazing. We look forward to having a similar experience next May. Hiring a driver is one of the things I forgot to do on our first trip in April, but after reading so many great stories, there is no way I'm going to miss out next year.

Now we just HAVE to visit the Aussie Bar ..sigh... and say G'day to Rex if he is still there. Hope he's changed clothes by then!!

Cheers

Jubby

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Hi Liz,

I forgot to thank you for letting us know about The National Service Resort & Country Club in Singapore. Sounds like fantastic value for a stopover with plenty to keep hubby and son out of my hair while I recuperate from the flight.

Cheers

Jubby

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Hi Liz,

I just wanted to add my thanks!

I really enjoyed reading about your trips.

Look forward to what you get up to next time.

Thanks Lindy.

Woodend, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR Part 3 -Our Time with Mr sam

Hey Jubby, I noticed you are a cats supporter. I left this part of our story off tripadvisor, but guess what happened.

When we booked our trip to Phi Phi with sam and Joop, I didn't realise it was grand final day. I spent the last few weeks before our trip trying to find out via TA if anyone knew if we would be able to see the match from the island. My husband is a one eyed Geelong supporter having been born and raised in geelong.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find out before we left so I had to leave it up to the "God's"

and.............. as it turned out we didn't get to see it. the resort we stayed in didn't have coverage, so the poor guy had to sit in front of a computer and wait for the scores to come through. I felt sooooo bad for him even though he kept assuring me it was ok.

It was made better by the fact it was such a runaway game. he'd have been really peed if it was a close match. Luckily all our friends taped it for him so the first thing he did when he got home was watch it.

Just another one of those funny holiday stories

GO CAT"S!!!!!!!!

Cheers Liz

PS

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my JBR. Glad you all enjoyed it.

For all of you seeing Sam soon, say Hi from Liz, Norm and Tegan and tell him we can't wait to get back