We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

Hi Everyone

A question for anyone who may be in Phuket or has just returned in the last week or so. What is the current going rate from 1 Aussie dollar in the banks in Patong area? I've looked on a few of the Thai bank websites it it seems to be as high as 29-30 Baht to 1AUD, compared to 24-26 here in Melbourne. Which is a fair difference when you are exchanging a $1000 or so, to last us our trip(or at least part of it).

Also do the banks open on a Saturday, as we arrive on a Friday night?

And finally are there any banks in the Karon beach area as this is where we are staying the first 5 nights (Marina Phuket- Jungle room, can't wait!)

Anyway my wife and I are getting really excited now as it is only 8 days now till we leave! This will be our first trip to Phuket, but second to Thailand. Our first trip was just after the Tsunami so we had to change our plans so we went to Bangkok & Koh Tao, which was just beautiful and we loved it there anyway despite not being able to go to Phuket.

I hope to go on a tour with Captain Mark on his boat after reading all the glowing recommendations from forum members. Hopefully I can convince some friends to do it with us.

We are in Phuket for 19 nights so I have been taking a lot of notes from everyone's submissions on what to do and what not to do. Thanks especially to Cathy & Gary, your website is full of great info, and can't wait to try the things and places you've recommended.

Bring on next Friday!!!

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Karon Beach
Karon Beach
5,696 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Phuket Cheap Tour
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours
Laguna Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Ireland
Level Contributor
734 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

The currency exchange booths are everywhere and are open every day until 10.00pm.

Sorry, can't help with current exchange rates.

Joe

London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

Just returned from Khao Lak.

We got 69 THB to 1 GBP in the banks there.

Sorry, didn't look at Aussie Dollars!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
brisbane
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

HI

WeJust arrived @ Marina Phuket today- you wont be dissappointed.

We exchanged money at the airport 1AUD = 29.7 cash

Cheers

Pete

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

thanks guys for your help

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

Thanks Pete,

Glad to see you are there on the ground and I hope you are enjoying your time there.

Wow lets hope the dollar exchange continues for a while.

Melb wt: Bet you are so excited about going. We have 3 weeks till we go and I am so restless. Even starting to just look here for something to reply to as we now have everything organised.

Anyone going out with Richard for his new adventure sailing? Hopefully we can get a group together for 20th November.

Wendy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

hi all,

wow 1 AUD to nearly 30 Thai Baht!

Checking travelex now and if you exchange 1k, the rate is 25.79, quite a difference indeed.

If its better to exchange at Phuket, then we probably might just exchange all our money there.

Without actually researching (our trip will be in March) is the exchange right in the airport upon arrival or near the resorts areas in phuket?

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

At Melbourne Airport any currency exchange under $500 is taxed at 8%..Au -Thb..

brisbane
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

Hi

There is a Siam Bank exchange at the airport'on the right as you walk into the meeting area. Small airport so you cant miss it.

Had a walk around Karon yesterday afternoon, the best exchange we saw was at Siam Bank exchange 30.08

We are going to Patong today{after a walk on the beach & brekkie) will have a look around then & let you know if I find anything better.

Cheers

Pete

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

Thanks Pete

diffinately seems worth taking Aussie dollars and exchanging there, just seem to be getting ripped off here in Australia!!

By the way what's the wheather like?

thanks

Melb WT

10. Re: Exchange rates at banks and other stuff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 05:27