We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata or Karon Beach?

Victoria
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kata or Karon Beach?

Hi,

I will be in Phuket towards the end of my trip to Thailand in April 08(after visiting BK, Krabi and Koh Lanta) and would like some feedback regarding the beaches of Kata and Karon (pros/cons).

I did not want to be too close to the chaos of Patong but still wanted to be close to good restaurants and maybe some shopping.

The hotels I have been looking at are as follows (wanting to spend between $80-$130p/n for 2 adults in April).

Pacific Club Beach Resort

Horizon Beach Resort

Kata Palm Beach Resort

Karon Beach Resort

Any feedback regarding these properties would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback

A very excited traveller desperate for a holiday!!

Regards

Tania

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata or Karon Beach?

Hi We stayed at Kata Palm in a pool access room this April, and were quite happy with the hotel and it's proximity to restaurants & shopping. It is about a 5-7 min walk to the beach, it's closer to the south area of Kata Beach. Karon Beach resort & Horizon Karon Beach resort (there is a Horizon in Patong as well) are at the south end of Karon Beach where it joins into Kata Beach (northern end). Karon Beach Hotel is on the beach (not sure if you will get rooms for the price you want in April) and the Horizon is up the hill, but many people on here have stayed there. Pacific is also up a hill and a bit of a walk to the beach and shopping area of north Karon beach. There is plenty of restaurants and shopping in this area too, it's closest to Patong here.

Lee

brisbane
Level Contributor
238 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata or Karon Beach?

Hi Tania

We stayed next to Karon Beach Resort at Marina Phuket. Karon Beach Resort has a great position - right on the beach. I think all of the rooms would have sea views but I don't know what the rooms aor service is like. I don't know about Kata Palm Beach Resort, but the others are not on the beach. Have a read of the reviews of these resorts.

Karon Beach is lovely. The end that we stayed at had rocks around the headland that had tropical fish among them so it was easy to do some snokelling. I don't know what the season is like in April. We went in Oct & had 4 good days where the sea was calm & 6 with rain & rough seas in which it wasn't safe to swim.

If you want to have a look at the beach, the Marina Phuket Resort has a live webcam that is views the beach by day.

The few days we had where the weather was good, was so nice on the beach, that we plan to go back next year in Nov when the weather is a bit more predictable - just so I can go to the beach!

Around this area there are plenty of shops,restaurants etc within walking distance. We really enjoyed staying at Karon - Patong is just a short tuk tuk ride away if you want it.

Happy Hols

Pete

Victoria
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata or Karon Beach?

Thanks guys for the feedback - I am sooooooooooooo excited!!

I think I am leaning towards Horizon Beach Resort although I will look into the Marina resort too - it looks lovely!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata or Karon Beach?

Hi Tania,

We too stayed at the Marina Phuket in an ocean view room in April, I didn't mention it as our room was about $145 US dollars when we were there, although with the current dollar value, may fall into your budget. The jungle rooms were slightly cheaper, we booked direct through their web site. Our room at Kata Palm was $138 OZ for the pool access which is brilliant too.

Lee

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata or Karon Beach?

Hi Tania, we just got home last night, we stayed at the Horizon Karon Beach. Beautiful resort, the staff are great, so friendly. Tuk Tuk from the Horizon will take you up and down the hill from 9am till 6pm then you cross the road then there's the beach. Our kids loved the beach, nice and warm and clear water. We had dinner on our last night at the Karon Beach resort and it was an absolute disaster, we thought it was just unlucky to be us but the table next to us sent there food back uneaten and left and another 2 couples sitting together said it was the worst meal they had eaten in Phuket. Hopefully it will improve as the resort has got the best position, right on the beach and pools looked nice and seems all rooms faced the ocean.

The Marina also looked beautiful but we only got to see it from the front and from the beach.

The Karon/Kata area was perfect for us, everyone got to know us after a few days and it was very sad telling them we were leaving that afternoon.

Rene

6. Re: Kata or Karon Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 07:19