We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money situation

Melb
8 posts
Save Topic
Money situation

Hey guys.

Off to Thailand next week and trying to decide what to do with taking money.

People from Australia, what have been your best experiences in the past?

Use cash, ATM card, credit card or travellers cheques?

What provides the best exchange rates and the lowest costs.

Thanks for your help.

gold coast...
Level Contributor
429 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money situation

Hey there dpkin.

I always take cash it is so much easier . most hotels have an in room safe . We take out what we need for the day then lock the rest away . So far we have been lucky and never had a problem. The first time we went we took traveller cheques they were a pain because you need your passport to cash them. We do take our credit card just in case we run out of money . hehehe

Teresa=)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money situation

Hi dpkin

Ww always use a cash passport card from travelx, we load it up before we leave and then just use the atms. You do have to be careful of the fees, its about $3 everytime you take money out! We just take out the max everytime and then use the in room safe!

You can just use your normal atm card, but we always worry that its linked to many other accounts! You get two cards and your money is protected if you have your card lost or stolen!

I'm pretty sure that when you take money out, you get the exchange rate for that day! My partner takes care of all that ( I just spend it...lol) so I'm not 100% sure!

Be very careful if your going to use your c/c!

Alisha

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money situation

Hi dpkin,

wife and I only take Aust. cash as stated on previous questions on what to take, never had a problem, I think why take Travellers cheques and give the banks more money in commission.

You ge the best rates for cash, only take out what you think you will use for the day and leave balance in room safe.

Hervey

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money situation

Hello,

I agree with Hervy, we take cash and leave it locked in the safe.

We do use our credit card for hotel bills etc, and have had a problem with our card being fraudulently

used, but our bank sorted that out at no cost to us.

Have been in Thailand a couple of times since and used credit cards with no problems.

Happy Holidays ,

Lindy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money situation

I always use travellers cheques... they are commission free from Australia Post and cost 33 baht per cheque to cash once over there.. you always get a better rate for cheques than cash and its your cheapest option.. as well as being insured against theft (cash isnt!).

It was just as easy for us to use a travellers cheque at the Exchange booth than to find an ATM or cash. Loved them and using them again this trip.

In contrast to Westpac .. which is $5 per withdrawel + 2.5% of the amount withdrawn... So for $100 you are looking at $7.50! That cash card thing people speak about is $3 per withdrawel and then its $10 to cancel the card when you get home... TC = just over $1 per cheque...

Of course that all depends on what you are aiming for but if you want the best exchange rate and lowest cost then Amex travellers cheques from the Post Office is definitely the best way to go in my opinion.

Reet xx

Melb
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money situation

EmjayReet,

What currency travelers cheques do you usually buy?

I've only ever traveled to the US so purchased US currency travelers cheques.

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money situation

I get them in Australian dollars. No sense changing currencies twice... Westpac and any AMEX office will do them commission free (if in another currency) or charge you $22 or 2% (or something similar) for AUD.... the only place that you can get commission free in AUD is the post office... the downside is you dont get a choice of denomination but we found that we got mostly $100 notes with some $50s. Doing it with AMEX you can request 'large denomination' but apparently you still may get $50s. It just depends what the centre has on the day of the order... Still cheaper than the other options. If you order them before 11am you will pick them up the next day (from Aust Post)

RB2
Perth WA
Level Contributor
648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money situation

Cash for me, easy to exchange and no ned to carry your passport if changing in the street's.

As said take with you what you think you will need for the day and mayby a $50 note tucked away in case the original lot is running out.

Plenty of places to change it and convienient.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money situation

We used cash that we brought over and kept in our room safe. This was easy and we had no problems. When we ran out we went to the ATM, our bank took 2% of what we withdrew but we had no other fees to pay with the NAB account that we have. I wish we had brought more cash over though, it was definatley the best way for us.

Melb
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Money situation

My only issue with cash is that not everywhere I stay is going to have a safe.

If I get travellers cheques in AUD, what is the approx exchange rate I get for them in Thailand? If it is better than the 24 baht/1AUD I think I'll go with them.