We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

Hello everyone,

Can you help, my wife and I will be in Phuket mid May, and are planning a special day out on the water, to celebrate our anniversary! I would like to experience a day out on a sailboat (not speedboat), visiting the islands and hongs. The crew of each tour seem so nice it is making it extremely difficult to choose. It would be great if we could afford all three tours!

Can you help us decide which option would be the best for us the JG'S ' Hongs by starlight' Tour, Richard's Racha Yai Island Tour or a day out on the 'Sakai' with Capt. Mark?

Thanks and go well!!!!

SinghaMan.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

What would you like to see?

As you mention Hongs, don't go to Racha Yai, no hongs there. The Starlight tour is an evening tour, Captain Marks tour is a daylight tour.

So if you say: day out on a sailing boat to visit the hongs and islands, Captain Mark's tour is the only one that offers that.

Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

Hi Steven,

Good advice from a local. My wife is not too keen on the evening tour, she says that going into caves at night sounds eerie.

She wants one that has the least amount of time actually on the water getting to the Islands, with more time for snorkelling, exploring the beach/islands, lunch and relaxing.

Are there any other sailing tours you would recommend?

Thanks

Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

Hi

The Hongs with John Grays is a big day - wonderful but a long day and goes into the night.

I think you will find one of the differences between the two sailing trips is the size of the vessel. Look into both as they seem to give a lot of valuable information on their websites.

We are going in May too, our fourth visit to Phuket and will be doing the Racha Island day trip with Richard. As we are staying on Koh Yao Noi Island in Phang Nga area (after Phuket), we are not particularly interested in visiting this area as a day trip out of Phuket (will do private longtails out of Koh Yao Noi)... nor are we interested in visiting Phi Phi again - once was enough. For us this was a great disappointment although I appreciate for many it is a highlight... but so many factors make it good or not so good. Everyone has different expectations too.

I love the look of the Racha trip, the vessel is beautiful and not only that, comes great food and some creature comforts AND let nots forget the space !!!! Despite being so large tho, they only take a limited number of passengers. I would agree to stay away from the speedboat variety, especially for such a special occasion. Good luck whatever you decide.

4. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2008, 20:54
Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

Hi Richard,

Have looked at latest pic;s - very impressive, love the "Plank" and the changi beer, no Singha ha ha... Have sent you a PM and have all your contact details.

Go well till we talk again !!

western australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

We did the day out with Captain Mark in October and can't speak highly enough of it. To quote from the movie "The Castle" it was a case of "hows the serenity"!!

Mark is great fun with a really dry sense of humour (must be from all those years spent in that city in the West - it does that to you) and takes the time to explain where you are going and lots of interesting local facts.

I haven't experienced your other options so really can't comment.

But... our day with Mark was fantastic

Sara

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

I would have chosen not to post on this thread, as I believe it is inappropriate. However as my hand has been forced, I will.

Don't listen to what we tour operators under consideration have to say. Read what other travellers have to say.

Click on "things to do" in the top left hand side of this page, and see what those travellers have written.

Sorry to interrupt a thread that should be impartial.

All the best and have a great holiday in Phuket,

Mark.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

Hi SinghaMan....

The Mrs and I have been out with Captain Mark, and have also done the Hongs by Starlight trip twice....

In my opinion both are excellent and have their own merits.....in both cases you will spend the majority of the day on the water and in good company,and you will see some magnificent scenery.

Why don't you consider hiring Captain Mark's boat for the 2 of you for the day?

This year we are going to do the trip with Richard and Megumi, as this is a new one we haven't done,and it looks really good (& Richard will only have Chang on board).

Whatever you decide I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-James.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

Hey Mark,

Thanks for that info , I spend so much time reading the forums, I have never clicked on TA's things to do.

Very interesting thank you.

Lindy.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed !! "Hongs' Versus Phuket Richard or Capt. M?

So difficult to compare them as they are all different. Really depends on what appeals. I think that none of them will let you down.