We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Fremantle
1 post
Save Topic
Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Counting down the days - a week to go and we are in Phuket. 2 families of 5, staying at the Horizon Karon Beach. Would appreciate anyone giving me any info that may help make our holiday memorable!!

Would like any info on drivers?? We are wanting to do some days trips and would love anyones input on a safe reliable driver (need to be able to accomodate 10 people) I have already looked into doing some Simba tours, Dinogolf and Fantasia, hubby is doing the rounds of the golf courses - anything else anyone can suggest?

Whilst the other half is golfing I may as well pamper myself - anyone have the name of a good 'spa' i could try??

Also any shopping tips from anyone just home would be helpful. Actually anything from anyone would be great!!

thanks

kaz

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Hi Kaz,

The Horizon Karon is controlled by the Taxi Mafia and their mates who will stop drivers from picking you up from the hotel, even stopping vehicles and making passengers get out, then offering to take them for free, just to stop them from going with another driver.

My friend Mai is experienced with them and will arrange a pick-up for you around the corner. His email contact is; hknuch@hotmail.com. He is highly recommended on this and other forums.

australia
Level Contributor
882 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Have a look at these pages you will find most if not all the information you need.

http://www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com/

We have booked Capt Mark and Sam for trips have a great holiday Bez.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Hi Kaz, we stayed here last October and unless things have changed we were never stopped by the Taxi Mafia once. Mai picked us up (8 of us in total) for our full day tour and returned us right to the door step of the Horizon Karon. On our last day Mai picked us up again for our airport transfer. We caught plenty of other taxi's and tuk tuks that came to the entrance to pick us up and drop us back and were totally unaware of this situation.

Is the "Taxi Mafia" these guys at the bottom of the hill ??? We used them once for a trip into Patong as we missed the free shuttle from the Horizon and they were the nicest bunch of people we met, and not once were stopped by them.

There is a massage place at the bottom of the hill turn right and it's the first place, the girls are just lovely and also do your washing for very little money. The kids also loved eating at "Thai 44" which is further down from the massage place past all the sea food resturants, very cheap and tasty.

Dino golf was great for the kids as well and across the road from Dinos is another place called "Jack's" which we found the meals to be good. Before Dino's is a 7/11 shop for cold drinks to fill the mini bar up with and chocolates and chips. Plenty of good pharamcy's for any stomache upsets.

If you need any other info just ask, we found the location just perfect for us with children.

PS, for shopping we headed in the Kata direction and found them all to be very good and reasonable.

Rene

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Oh, that's interesting, Rene. Mai didn't tell me that things had changed. He got stopped by those guys and the passengers practically dragged out of the car and he was told to leave. They went back to their room and called Mai, arranging to meet him around the corner. He was picking up all his passengers from "the corner", including a couple of people that are members on this forum.

Good news if they've lost their stranglehold.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Hi Athena, that's awful, hopefully it was before our holiday and things have changed, Mai is the nicest, sweetest man that does not deserve any of this to happen to him. We did stay 0ctober 07 so this might of started after we left but hoping not as it will ruin the reputation of the hotel and hard working people like Mai. He spoke highly of you on our trip and looks forward to your visits...

Rene

Perth
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Hi Kaz,

If you type in the Phuket search box

my 2 trip experiences to phuket

Then click on the post

you will find heaps of info.

Cheers,

Stewie.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Oh, those events happened prior to October last year, so perhaps things have been resolved.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Hi Kaz, just in case you are interested, I have some tips on Phuket here; http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/9045f/

You will see Phuket on my travel map at the right hand side.

Australia, Melbourne
Level Contributor
33 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

Hey there, Read this! It took me ages to write, but im sure it will be of good use to you!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k186…

Cheers

-ASh

10. Re: Help - Phuket here we come and I need some tips!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 11:22