We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Use metered taxis from airport if possible

Melbourne
12 posts
Save Topic
Use metered taxis from airport if possible

If you don't have a transfer arranged, your best bet is a metered taxi. To find it, turn right straight out of the doors and push through both the humidity* and the taxi touts. The rank is a small building with a green sign at the end of the terminal.

A metered cab should cost no more than 500B to Kata, which includes the 100B airport levy. The touts charge 650 and up as well as their additional scams. "Limousine" taxis are nothing more than a Honda Civic with leather seats.

The trip will take 50-60 minutes to Kata - much longer than the distance on the map would suggest. Major roads in Phuket are both congested and chaotic!

*Off topic - don't be put off by the staggering wall of humidity you walk into as you exit the terminal. It is much better on the beaches.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Use metered taxis from airport if possible

When we went there and go outside the airport, we couldn't find any metered taxi's =(

Some people suggested going out of the airport and onto the main street but i wasn't prepared to do that at 8pm in the night.. lol

And yeah all the people there try to scam you lifts into town and rip you off. If you find a metered taxi, that good stuff!

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Use metered taxis from airport if possible

The kiosk for the metered taxis is at the end of the sidewalk (pavement) to the right as you exit the arrivals hall. About 50-100 meters depending on from which door you exit the hall.

While you can save B100-150 - I have to confess that I have quite softened in my attitude towards the taxi touts or so called "taxi mafia" at the airport.

While I always use a metered taxis, I have to confess a couple times the cars were pure cr*ap with really uncomfortable seats - and once I know the driver tried to take a longer route, but I caught him and told him to take the correct turn - he KNEW how to get there - it was not a mistake - I live near a major resort area that every taxi driver knows how to get to.

The so-called taxi mafia do tend to use bigger and nicer cars - not all are Civics, some are Camrys - and I suspect, these days, that you are getting a fair deal either way. Just depends if you want to pay a bit more for a bigger more comfortable car.

So . . . after spending years blasting the taxi mafia - I am changing my position a bit and when my family comes to visit in June - I'm not yet sure which type of taxi we will take. They are big people (uh . . . chubby is a nice word for it) and the Camrys and Civics may just work better for them.

It's not like the metered taxi guys have given a good accounting of themselves.

3. Re: Use metered taxis from airport if possible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 02:20