We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holidays in general

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Holidays in general

Perhpas this is a friday Whilst I think for the most part is great,I think sometimes, and this is in no way aimed at anyone, is that whether we are in Phuket, Rome, Paris....etc for a holiday we are they for week or so and then move on, the services of people we use through this and other travel forums form the basis of what is our holiday.... but they actually have to live there and this forum does not provide a edit function, once it is up here it is there for good unless they remove it for a breach of guidelines.

I think at times there are huge expectations which are placed on the providers of these services as they have been so hyped up....maybe some overly so... that unless they deliver every time we go away and write a critic of the service... Just read through the hotel reviews and some of the bad reviews are laughable ( not just talking ASia here ).

I think that these forums are to be used as a guide only. Maybe it is me but I think holidays are about adventure. I like to consider myself a traveller rather then a tourist. If I can't figure out how to change money or I need to worry about whether the weather will be nice in 3 months time perhaps I should reconsider by holiday options. I mean some of my best holiday experiences have been getting really lost, in non English speaking countries, experienced local kindness and local hospitality unequalled.

My opinion only and I am certian others will not agree but seriously until you experience something for the first time yourself you never really know what it is like, You want to stay in a resort with a bacteria breeding pool bar....go for it if you don't like the place stay elsewhere next time.

Ok rant over - this borders on being a travel related topic so it may stay up

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holidays in general

I agree with you. When I travel I check the basic stuff but enjoy the 'newness' and excitement of a fresh country. But there are plenty of folks who feel a bit insecure about travelling thousands of kilometers to a strange place they know little about and need some advice or reassurance, as sort of "forwarned is forearmed". In February I went to Hanoi for the first time, about the only thing I checked ahead was the rate of exchange and the weather - the latter so I knew what to pack, which is a consideration for many.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holidays in general

DragonC

yep I am not saying that people shouldn't do any research at all if just seems many posts on here ( some repeated MANY times) is all information that you would find out within 10 mins of getting there and in man cases finding that out place is half the fun. that is all

maybe it is just that I am sitting here with a broken foot and far far far to much time on my hands today

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holidays in general

Too much running for the bus? Hope it gets better soon :)

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holidays in general

Your so right Pennywise,

but some of us get so excited about our holidays , we just want someone else, who understands, to talk things over with.

Same old story , if it does not interest you, easy, don't read!!

Lindy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holidays in general

Good comments

TA & forums of a similar nature are great as a reference guide for anyone wanting to travel. However it is not the same as going to a place & experiencing it for yourself. In saying that a forum like this one can make some people feel more secure & feel armed with knowledge of a particular area or even create a network of new friends.

However (imho) people need to realise that, largely a forum can be made up of people's opinions & discussions & therefore everything said is not "gospel"

i think some of the best experiences on holidays are just that - expereincing something for ourselves. More often than not we tend to remember our best or worse expereinces from actual encounters. Whether that be getting lost in a foreign country where we don't speak the same language or going on a sea voyage that has been recommended to us & we get to feel what it is like for ourselves.

Now I'll stop ranting too.

Cheers

HD

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,357 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holidays in general

I think you are right Pennywise.

However, first in defence of new members who post what to us may be "obvious" questions, firstly they may not be as familiar with the use of computer in general and the navigation around forums in particular to find the answer. But I DO agree that so may really obvious questions could best be answered by exploring their destination when they arrive than searching for an answer before they leave.

Another very relevant point you make is "I think at times there are huge expectations which are placed on the providers of these services as they have been so hyped up....maybe some overly so....."

A very good friend of mine, a well-known tailor in Khao Lak (who shall go nameless in case I am accused of hyping him up LOL!) is very aware of how important andpotentially damaging forums like this one are to his business. Whilst we members are only a small fraction of the total visitor numbers, and it is human nature for there to be more "complainers" than "praisers" he tells his fellow business friends that if they make claims of a certain service or level of service and do not deliver, that could result in adverse comments. If they deliver good service then that may not be mentioned but if it is so much the better.

This puts the responsibilty on the service provider but shows the power we TA members wield to influence people's livelihoods - for good or bad!

Hope you get your "pot" off and back on both feet soon.

Regards

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holidays in general

Pennywise4, I can see exactly where you are coming from, our first trip overseas was to Phuket in 95, we had no internet and all we had was a brochure from the travel agent and we booked on the recommendation of a friend, along with some really bad horror stories from the odd person who 'knew' but had never been. Phuket was not that well known to aussies then.

We arrived in a strange country to 97% humidity and were completely overwhelmed, after getting off the plane, imagined our hotel being a tin shack on the beach with no toilet facilities, almost were a bit hesitant to leave the hotel, but hunger and curiosity got the better of us and we ventured out to beach road to be met by the most terrifying thunderstorm I have ever experienced.

We ordered without ever having tried thai food and didn't get sick, we got lost many times and survived the language barrier with gestures. But those times were the best ever and we look back on those memories as being priceless.

But have to admit now when trying a new destination we like to get as much knowledge of the place we are going to, so new age technology etc means we are better prepared, and these days people are so busy they just want to get there and do it all NOW! But it does take a little away from the experience of travelling in times gone by. Thats just my 2 cents worth. Sue

London
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holidays in general

I was making similar comments to a friend not so long ago. With being able to research so easily with the aid of the internet very little is left to surprise and the delight of discovery. My last job, because I had very little to do, I was able to spend loads of time on the internet researching holidays. I made the comment to my colleague that I felt I had already been on holiday with so little left to discover. I think the old days with just a copy of Lonely Planet were probably more enjoyable travel wise.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,357 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holidays in general

Sorry,

Don't necessarily agree with that. The WWW has far more visitors than Lonely Planet. IMHO forums like TA open up far more areas to visit, sites to see, places to go off the beaten track for the unrepared traveller than Lonely Planet. TA is current. It's full of JBRs - Just Back Reports. Travellers who have been so excited by what they have seen and done that they can't wait to share them. Lonely Planet (and the like) rely on reissues, publishing updates etc. and are out of date before they are reissued!

Holidays ARE about an adventure but you don't always enjoy the best adventure by stumbling around in the dark. Some us need the 3rd hand experience of others to give us the courage to go beyond our normal boundaries.

London
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holidays in general

Yes Arandora I completely agree with what you are saying. Perhaps I did not make my point very well. What I meant was in old days was perhaps bit more adventurous as you were journeying into the unknown in certain respects. I agree that Lonely Planet is out of date the moment it hits the shelves but it just gave basic information such as how far airport from centre, basic maps etc... then you made your own discoveries. But whatever I still think that travelling is one of the greatest joys of my life - meeting new friends, new cultures, and the list of characters I have met is endless. I am very fortunate to be able to afford to travel more or less when the whim takes me. Just hope my health keeps up for quite few more years.