We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver prices

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Driver prices

We are heading over in July and have contacted Daj to pick us up from the airport to transfer to the Holiday Inn. He has quoted us 800 baht for 2 adults and 2 kids. Seems to be about the mark - a bit higher than previous mentions in the forum.

He also offered the usual day tours which we would like to do and quoted us 2000 baht for the day.

Does this seem OK? Are the prices on the way up or should I shop around a bit?

Thanks, Haggis

London
Level Contributor
773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver prices

Those prices do seem a bit on the high side... Mr Mor usually charges us 600 b from the airport to Cape Panwa, which is about as far south as you can go, ie much further than Holiday Inn. Mr Mor also charges around 1600 B for a full day. However, with fuel prices on the way up, it could be that they are all charging more now, to take this into account. Even so, quite a difference bet 1600 and 2000. Hope this helps. It might be worth contacting a couple of other people to get a comparison.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver prices

Hello

2000 is a high price for a day i would shop around. The cheapest quote i got was from Mr Sam when i needed a driver from khao lak to phuket return the price was 400 baht cheaper.

Julie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver prices

When we were in Phuket last month we paid 600 baht for the airport transfer to Patong Beach and 1600 for a day tour.

My advice in relation to the day tour is get a driver that speaks good english and who will know what to show you on the island. We booked Mai (who was recommended on this site) and unfortunately he was not a tour guide for us, he wanted us to tell him where to go but we did not know what to see or where to go so although we paid for an 8 hour day we only had 6.5 hours and 1 hour of that was spent at the Big C shopping centre. We had emailed him a few days before and asked him to show us around the island and that we would leave it up to him to organise our day, but that did not happen. I would check the latest reviews on drivers and go with someone that provides a tour service for the day if that is what you are looking for.

Maybe I have been spoilt with Bali drivers when we visited Indonesia.

London
Level Contributor
773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver prices

Mr Mor's English is really, really good which is one of several reasons we always hire him. I see where you're coming from Pamies, but to be honest I think these guys need a bit of help from their customers as to where they want to go... not everyone has the same interests and there isn't that much general stuff to see in Phuket, beyond viewpoints, Promthep, Wat Chalong, Big Buddha. Some people just want to shop or eat or visit shows, so it can be difficult.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver prices

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with your experience with Mai, Pamies. He is usually very good. I wonder why he didn't take you on a day tour. Where did he actually take you?

He may have misunderstood what you wanted to do.

Fuel is now over 40 baht per litre here - up from 14 about 4 years ago. Yes, all drivers are struggling. Even food prices are affected here now.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver prices

Hi Athena

I emailed Mai's wife a few days before our trip and told her we were looking to do a day tour but wanted to see the real Phuket and not just tourist sites. I also said we would leave it up to them to organise the day for us.

Mai took us to the viewpoint just south of Kata Noi. I asked him to take us to the 2 fishing villages you recommended Rawai Beach and Siray Island and I asked him to take us there in the afternoon, as you suggested, but he took us to both in the morning so it was very quiet with no fishing boats in. He also took us to a temple then I asked him to take us to the northern part of the island but he said it was all the same that we had already seen, so we ended up going to Big C just to use up some time, then home.

As I said in my previous post maybe we have been spoilt with our Bali drivers.

Thanks for all the other information you provided to me prior to our trip it was extremely helpful.

Regards

Pam

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver prices

So sorry to hear that Pam, it doesn't sound like Mai at all. I will speak to him about it and see what he has to say.

Thanks for your feedback.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver prices

I agree, this seems a bit high unless fuel prices have gone up dramatically. We were last there in 2007 and met a driver, Kom, who we bargained down to 1000bt for the full day, and we have used him for other trips and recommended him to other people (including our daughter and friends) since.

You can also get a taxi from the airport to your hotel for 500-600bt. If you're interested in getting another driver, I can definitely recommend Kom, and he can organise day trips and tours for you at a very good price. In August 2007 we took 7 friends to Phuket with us, and he organised a lot of trips for us at a very good price.

Kom's details are: email kom99@hotmail.com, or phone 083-172-0862. If you send an email to him before your arrival please tell him that Sylvia and Trevor from Australia say 'Sawadee'.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and 'Chok dee' (good luck)

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver prices

Hi Pam,

I spoke to Nuch and Mai about your experience. They explained to me that it was raining quite a lot that day, which is why Mai said you couldn't go to the waterfall or to the Big Buddha. He had kept you in the south of the island for the morning so that you were in the vicinity of Tunk Ka Restaurant for lunch, as is the usual day tour.

Neither of those places have any shelter from the rain and you cannot see them from the car, as you have to walk to both. I agree that Mai should have given you the option of whether to still go or not, but he thought he was doing the best thing for you. I believe that the trip to the shopping centre was to keep out of the rain.

He has taken your experience on board.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver prices

Sylvs, fuel was 40.88 baht the other day. It goes up every day or two at the moment. 4 years ago it was 13-15 baht per litre.