We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Hotel Chains in Phuket

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
American Hotel Chains in Phuket

My wife and I are planning a trip for next Feb or March to Phuket. We both travel a lot so we have lots of hotel points with Hilton, Starwood, and Marriott. If we are trying to stay for free, it looks like our best bets would be the JW Marriott, Hilton, Arcadia resort, Le Meridien, and the Sheraton Grande Laguna. Does anyone have any preferences amongst these hotels? I saw some references saying that some of these were away from all the action. Also, am I going to miss any of the 'Thailand' experience by staying in an American hotel? Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

Courtyard by Marriott is opening soon in Patong, i believe in Oct'08. Try this one when it opens, it's at Patong and at a good location, close to all the action, across the road from OTOP Shopping, a couple minutes walk to the beach. There is even a Hard Rock Cafe there also opening soon.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

Sorry, according to the website, marriott.com/hotels/… scheduled for August'08 opening.

Cheers.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
890 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

I think you are implying that you would like to be near the action.

The Marriott is way up near the northern tip of Phuket and not so close to "the action"

Laguna is a huge resort that seems to like to keep you on their premises and not so easy to get to "the action"

Le Meridien Phuket Beach is not far from Patong and seems to be an "all inclusive" resort with diving, nice beach of their own, tennis, even a rock climbing wall on the premises (although a small one)

The Hilton at Karon is probably a good choice as you can walk to some action and the beach is huge (3 miles long). The only complaint i've ever heard is that you have to walk far from your room to anywhere but i believe most of the 5 star hotels attempt to do this for some reason.

All of the above are at least a tuk tuk ride away from the action. Possible exception is the Hilton.

If you are more specific on what you are looking for in regards to "action" i can perhaps be more specific in my answers.

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the information so far. When I say, "close to the action", I am referring to the best beaches, best restaurants, close to tour departure points, best shopping, etc". Really mean it in general. We are not someone who is just going to stay by the hotel pool all day and eat there every night.

This is a great forum! Thanks for the help!

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

Just to clarify on the Marriott(s)

The JW Marriott is up on the NW coast of the island - extraordinary! Just had family stay there for a week and they went into JWMarriott Shock when they moved to a lesser resort for a few days . . .

Four new Marriott facilities will be opening in Phuket over the next several months - they are all previously existing, but rebuilt refurbished and rebranded hotels.

Marriott Courtyard Patong - what used to be the Tropicana

Marriott Courtyard Kamala - what used to be the Kamala Bay Garden Resort

Marriott Courtyard Surin Beach - what used to be the Surin Beach Resort

and - not sure if it is/was officially announced yet or not the

Marriott Kamala "Something" (Something - personally don't know yet) - what was the Kamala Terrace Resort that never reopened post-tsunami, was scheduled to reopen as an Alila Resort but will now be a Marriott - though I don't know if it will be of the Courtyard category or not.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

I guess I would like to clarify a bit on the Laguna Resort(s) also.

The Laguna Resorts area is actually five resorts built around a series of lagoons and set next to a beautiful golf course - and they have no interest in keeping you on or off their properties.

There are at least 25+ great Thai restaurants up and down Bang Tao Beach - on which the resorts sit - all easily accessed by foot - right out the doors of the resorts. Also, there is a large area of restaurants, bars, etc - just outside the entrance to the resorts area.

I live in the area and it is about 25 minutes to Patong - if that is "where the action is".

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

None of there places are American. They are all Thai owned, but managed by agreement with Starwood, Mariott, etc etc. So you won't be staying in American hotels :)

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
890 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

From your second message describing what "action" is to you, i would guess that the Hilton in Karon would best match your interests. (from your choices)

Sorry if i seemed to be down talking the Laguna resort. I think it's a very beautiful place. But i did have 2 friends stay there and they are the ones who told me they felt like the resort attempted to keep you on the resort.

It is a huge place as i was just up there again for the marathon on Sunday. Wow, it's big and nice and 5 star all the way. But the only "walking distance to shopping" you'll see there is on the premises.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

The new Courtyard by Marriott would be best choice.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Hotel Chains in Phuket

IMO, of the hotels mentioned here, the Hilton would be the least Thai. Provided the new Marriott in patong is nice, which I'm sure it will be, that could be a good choice, close to shopping, restaurants etc., or the Meridien. Disadvantage of Meridien is that you have to take a tuktuk though to go to restaurants and shopping.