We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

Given AirAsia's free-for-all seating policy, does it matter when you arrive at the airport to check-in? No later than 45 mins before the flight I know but just wondering if there was any point getting there any earlier than, say, an hour before take off?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

No point really, you will always stand a chance of being killed in the rush to board an Air Asia flight. I just stand back and let them knock themselves out, I prefer the back of the plane anyway.

Air Asia now have an XPress Boarding system which you purchase on line along with your ticket (nominal fee). It allows you to baord 30 mins ahead of all others.

I will just keep doing what I usually do. Anyway I would miss the fun of watching people do a Titanic impression.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

Check in anytime you want, but remember the time you need at Customs. If there are many people, you will have to wait very long. I usually check in early and just hope the queue at customs is not long.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

I agree with emily, don't cut it too fine.

There may be 50 others planning a late run for the same flight, if you're at the end of THAT queue you're in trouble.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

Just be sure to allow time for things out of your control, like traffic jams.

There is no need to clear customs to travel from BKK to HKT...domestic flight passengers do not go through immigration or customs, only international flight passengers do.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
640 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

We would have gone for the express check-in option when we booked but for some reason it wouldn't let us.

We're staying about 10 minutes away from the airport so I guess we could leave it relatively late. Not too much though.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

Just to be clear revolver, it's express boarding, not "check-in" that you can purchase. For the few shekles they charge for it, it's worth it (and can still be purchased when you check in I believe).

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,357 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

... and it's not 30 minutes before everyone else. Just the time it takes to get those with Express Boarding seated first.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
26 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

Do they let people with small children board first? How full are their flights generally? We are traveling July 10th BKK-Phuket...

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

No special boarding except for those that have purchased the Express Boarding.

We used them for 3 flights last August and they were very good. At boarding time, there is a line in front of the gate, a long line. Boarding goes quickly, though, as a flight attendant stands in the aisle of the plane to seat people roughly front to back. Boarding was quicker and less chaotic than on other airlines with seat assignments imo.

Staff was friendly and efficient. On board, there are drinks and food for sale if you like. Seats are rather tight, but no worse really than economy on most other airlines. And it's only for an hour or two.

I'd use them again, no problem. Air Asia is a very good value for the money.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: AirAsia from Phuket to BKK

Passengers with Express Boarding board 1st, then only the passengers over the age of 65 (i think) and family with kids.

There is a seperate line for Express Boarding.