We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Hi all,

Wierd question, but does anyone know if any of the pharmacies in Phuket offer hire of nebulisers for asthmatics?

My daughter has reactive airways disease (similar to asthma) and it acts up in humidity (among other things). Just thought it might be possible to hire one if in trouble, didnt want to bring one from Australia as they are quite heavy and bulky for "just in case".

Any help appreciated.

Cherrie

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Hi Cherrie.

I have no idea if you can hire one of these, but I have my doubts. There are several very good hospitals here, which are generally not expensive. They are well equipped, and you can get to them quickly. Importantly, in my experience, you are able to see a doctor very quickly, even at the government hospitals. Their response time puts Australian hospitals to shame.

Perhaps send an email to Bangkok Phuket Hospital, or Phuket International Hospital. Ask them directly.

Mark.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Hi,

I work in a pharmacy and you may be able to hire a smaller unit for your use.

They can be bought, for not such a large cost , a much smaller unit for personal use.

I know it's more cost for your holiday , but you will be able to have it for years to come!!I did not see anything like these in Phuket, last week , but I know the Phuket hospital is really modern and will probably have everything you need. Athena will ofcourse be able to help you more as she lives there for 6 months of the year. ( I think )

Take all of her medications and a spacer and you should be OK.

It is always humid in Thailand, well when we are there, anyway.

Have a wonderful holiday Cherrie,

Lindy.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Hi Mark,

How are you going??????

We did enjoy our day out with you and will be doing a JBR as soon as I can get over the JBBlues!!!!!

Lindy.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Hi Lindy, sorry to hear you have the blues. You know what the cure is, get back as soon as you can.

How is Lee, feeling better?

All fine here.

Bye,

Mark.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Bit late now, but when you get back, check out the Buteyko breathing method. My son was asthmatic from age 2 and for 10 years it was a steady increase in dosage and strength and variety of medication till no matter what we did he was taking ventolin every day and getting severe attacks 3-4 times a month. Did buteyko method daily for 6 weeks (asthma got worse for first two weeks) and attacks became monthly. After 3 months of periodic practice, attacks were rare. After 6 months, went off all medication, including preventatives. Now after 2 years, maybe has one asthma attack per year, and that one is only because he is too lazy to do preventative breathing when symptoms first show. The attack is also dealt with by using buteyko. It has a money back guarantee, what have you got to lose ? If you have time, start it before you go over.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Will look into the breathing method. All was fine for a while, no more preventatives only Singulair tablets once a day, but the cold weather as well as humidity has made it flare up.

Think I will just take along all stuff just in case.

Thanks again!

Cherrie

No CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Check out the latest portable nebulizers e.g. Omron Micro air but also others, which weigh about 6 oz, go 4 hours on 2 AA batteries; also can be used with adaptor or rechargable batteries. Many are child friendly. There are several sites selling these nebulizers including (w/o rec pro or con) www.hmint.com

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Cherrie, have you ever tried the turbuhalers? You can get one for daily use ( pulmicort) that has steroids for prevention and a ventolin one for acute stage.

My 8 yr old son has severe asthma. When he gets an acute attack, it lasts for 2-3 days where he had to take his nebulizer every 3-4 hrs. It wouldn't take away the asthma attack, but would help a little bit. The puffers did absolutely nothing for him. He'd get hospitalized several times with it and you could see him retracting ( indrawing) all over his chest. It was very difficult to see.

Anyway, about 10 months ago, he got put on a turbuhaler and it's been a god send. He hardly every has any attacks anymore, and if he does, they are pretty mild. Finding the amount of "puffs" your child needs of the pulmicort per day can be a bit time consuming. We started of with 2 puffs twice a day and went down from there on the advice of the doctor. We find he's now fine with 1 puff a day unless he's got a cold or in the acute stage.

I was a bit skeptical of the turbuhaler at first.. I thought " oh, it's just another puffer and they don't work". But it works amazing! It is a dry-powder inhaler.

Anyway, something to consider.. or at least talk to your doctor about if it will also work with reactive airway disease. I know how you feel about being scared to leave home without it ( the neb). We brought ours everywhere too.. even to the babysitters. But no longer! =D

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

Thanks Halilee,

We are taking her back to her paediatrician (but of course can't get in before we go away).

Honestly the singulair one tablet a day was FANTASTIC and no more steroids...just no good when she gets a cold or has been out in wind or humidity.

It is a pain, but just to be safe would rather take everything (and use up most of the luggage allowance!)

Thanks again to all for the advice (especially about the new nebulisers etc...) Lets hope its all unecessary and she has a relatively drug free holiday.

Cherrie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nebuliser for asthmatic child HELP!

HI beaverhausen,

I am a reg nurse at the CHildren's Hospital.

We only ever use nebulizers if the child has a severe attack and requires intensive care, otherwise all our inpatients are now only using spacers. We have kids using them 30 minutely in severe cases, and generally the kids recover just as quickly using spacers over nebulisers.

I would take a spacer and if that doesn't work take her straight to a hospital.

Hope that helps

GOGO