We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High vs Low Season? Opinions?

Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
High vs Low Season? Opinions?

Hello folks, I really would like to try Phuket and Thailand for the first time but am unsure about when to plan the trip. Some say if you can avoid high season, do it. My question is being a solo traveler, will the nightlife suffer in low season? I would like to socialize with locals and other travelers but definetly do not want it to be dead when I travel. I enjoy good nightlife and having many a beer with others. I like to socialize. I would like to do the sea kayaks and see james bond island as well. Does the rain that comes in low season affect daily plans all day? I am fairly open in my vacation schedule and am the middle of the road traveler. A good 3 star is good for me. Looking at maybe 5 or 6 nights in Phuket and 4 in Bangkok. Maybe a couple nights in Pattaya. Obviously would like to keep budget within reason (around 2000 baht a night for a decent hotel) and get a somewhat decent bang for the buck. Looking at a 5000 baht budget a day for activities and food as an estimate. What month would you advise on? Just worried about the rain. April was a thought. Thanks.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High vs Low Season? Opinions?

Many hotels offer two for one deals in the low season, contact them direct if your travel agent doesn't offer. Plenty of people & nightlife here now, but not too packed, which is great. Monsoon season, we've had 2 days rain, 10 days sun. Good odds.

Sydney
Level Contributor
274 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High vs Low Season? Opinions?

Hi Dave

We have been to both Bangkok and Phuket in March and April and May and August and for my buck, we prefer August. In March and April not only is it HOTTER than any other time, it’s also the most expensive and crowded! It was so hot, there were days you couldn't even contemplate walking further than the pool, and even then, some of the pools were warm – felt wet, not cool...Upside it SongKran ( 15th April I think) and the water festival can be fun!

May is a bit better, cooling down slightly (not by lots) but also slightly cheaper than April. Upside is you can still do all the day tours etc as the seas aren't too rough, sun shining and maybe a few rains at night.

August is great for us. 5 star accom at 3 star prices, hot enough to swim and get a tan, but not so hot that day adventures are out of the question but it does rain (a lot sometimes) however the crowds are less and some day trips are a little "risky" as the rough water can be treacherous! The guys with the boats know what to look for and if too rough, they have in our experience, postponed until better weather.

Hope that helps with your timimgs. There are always other travellers around to have a drink with, so anytime is good for that!!

Safe travels!

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High vs Low Season? Opinions?

We were there in May/June this year and had hardly any rain.

Much cheaper, and still plenty of people to have fun with.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High vs Low Season? Opinions?

Hi Dave, Low season is still great, as last posters said still heaps of people to meet and cheaper, just have to plan your sea trips. Patong Lodge is a good 3 star starting point, its on the back road walking distance to everything, comfy rooms, pool and breakfast.

Pattaya is a real eye opener, much busier and full on than Phuket, great for single guys. And Bangkok has a myriad of cheap accomodation available.

For some ideas have a look at Cathyandgarystravelpages.com

Cathy has heaps of ideas and info regarding staying, eating/activities in and around Phuket.

We have been to Phuket nearly every month of the year and prefer the lower season. End of April-June would be a good time if thats your time frame. Cheers, Sue

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High vs Low Season? Opinions?

Hey Sue,

Much better answer than mine!!!!

But we love low season in Phuket.

Lindy.

canberra
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: High vs Low Season? Opinions?

stayed in phuket in so called rainy season (july) and had 14 days of sun/ sun and cloud, and two days of full on rain...Son went in March (dry season) had 4 days of rain out of 12, there was enough people around to have a fun time in July, son said it was so packed in march u could barely move...and besides that, we stayed in a resort that in high season charges anything up to 15,000 baht a night (deluxe villa), we paid just under 6,000 (that same deluxe villa)...worth it for a few days of rain:)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High vs Low Season? Opinions?

I can't really add much to these excellent and spot on replies but I can't help myself...

The place is buzzing all year and I wouldn't go in peak season if you paid me. Even if you factor out the high (double or more) cost of accommodation, you have to compete in the markets with Europeans who are prepared to pay much more for everything so naturally everything is much more expensive. Anyway, Phuket is so much more fun when you're surrounded by us Aussies!!! Also, as per jik26's post, it often rains in peak season and often doesn't rain in low season. If you're only going for 5 or 6 nights to Phuket, May might be your best bet for sunny weather, because it USUALLY rains more later in the year and although it's usually at night or for a couple of hours it's been known to rain for two or three days which in your case would spoil most of your holiday. April is still high season and VERY HOT so May is still hot but the first month of cheaper prices. We went once in April and ike Polly, it was so hot we didn't even walk along the beach.

But have no fear, in low season, you'll have heaps of friendly Aussies to share a laugh and a drink with.

Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: High vs Low Season? Opinions?

Wow, thanks for the honest and detailed opinions everyone. I will take that into account. I'm not really into wall to wall people either so the shoulder season would probably work out best. I'm not affraid of the rain. Cheers.

9. Re: High vs Low Season? Opinions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 21:16