We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR 15th -30th June

ballarat
Level Contributor
263 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
JBR 15th -30th June

Well another wonderful trip to patond this year, I just love this place and never wont to come home.

FLIGHTS we flew jetstar for the first time from Melb via sydney tp Phuket. Great flight no complaints at all. Coming back was a bit different. Our flight was delayed 2.5 hours but thankfully we did receive a text msg from Jetstar so we spent an extra couple of hours in patong rather than waiting at the airport. Of course we then missed our connecting flight from syd - melb. Nobody told us that we could get a free bus from international to domestic terminal because we were coming in on international so we just went to the transfer bus and were quite put out to have to pay $5.00 each to get from one terminal to another.

They managed to fit us on a qantas flight 2 hours later which was the best they could do. This flight was then delayed over an hour so it was avery long trip getting home. Would fly jetstar again at the right price though.

HOTEL we booked online for the Mecure in Rat u thid rd as we got a red hot deal.

Could not fault this hotel the rooms were lovely the staff the best I have come across in Phuket or Bali.

The hotel offer lots of free entertainment eg Water aerobis, yoga classes, thai massage, fitness classes, fruit carving and learn to dive. They also offer Muay thai lessons for 250bht which my 15 son did a few times and just loved.

The hotel is in agreat spot 2 mins to otops and beach.Also on my husbands birthday, we got back to our room to find they had set the table with napkins cutlery etc and a beautiful birthday cake - hows that for customer service. we shared the cake with the staff

The only down side if i had to say one is that you can see into other rooms, and only half the pool gets the sun. But there is a small rooftop pool that is in sun all day.

FOOD well this is always one of the highlights of our trip our 13 year old lives on toasted sandwhiches and burgers, bit the rest of us love Thai food.

Shakers do the beast yellow prawn curry a great place to eat as a family as there is a pool table dart board and they have the footy etc on the big screen

We also ate at bushrangers, NO6, The Orchid,Best foods , the cheapest and great food is in otop markets we ate at Ma mores and for four of us with drinks 670 bht.

We did eat off the carts as we like to try everything. Steve got a couple of soups from the carts 60 bht take away it was delicious. We tried lots of food at the weekend markets in phuket town steve even had the deep fried crickets.

We loved shopping for food in Carrefour it was so cheap and interesting we bought some purple sweet rice that was yum lots of different types of cakes yum yum. We had the best brekkie ever at Didis first left after Junceylon. 150bht and you got the lot Steak (of your choice) bacon eggs toms, beans chips toast and jam juice tea or coffee, amazing.

WEATHER we had 2 completey washed out days and 3 -4 days with rain, was quite bearable. The rest of the days were perfect.

SHOPPING Carrefour fantastic for cosmetics, food and cheap underwear

Market behind junceylon alot of fixed prices very cheap and a nice change from bartering.

Phuket Markets very cheap and great atmosphere

Otop great shopping at good prices

Dvd 50b got from David at Kittys

Mens Suit $100 pants jacket and shirt very happy with it

Usual tshirts bathers shorts wathches wallets etc

Pandora charms in ocean plaza 180b - 415b also bought some from guy on beach road outside ban lamai for 600 b very nice ones with coloured stones

Tattoo with kids names and frangipani 5000B

Contact lenses for son 160 b for one month disposable perfectly good.

Glasses with transition lenses bi focal titanium frames 8000b

Teeth whitening 9000b

cobalt steel plate with two teeth on matched perfectly to hubbies other teeth 6000b, qouted $1000 in Aussie

Had a day trip with Mai didnt go far, went to the zoo and a few different beaches to check out. Had lunch at Tung Ka which was fabulous,

Also did fantasea this time I have been before, wasnt sure if the kids would like it but they loved it.

I still love walking down Bangla road just soaking up the atmosphere and taking in the sights.

Already looking forward to heading back next year but as much as I love patong I might try Krabi or somewhere different

To those of you heading off soon, have a great time you lucky things

Cheers

Deb

Perth
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Hi Deb,

Thanks for posting your trip report, looks like you had a good time.

Where is the Bushrangers?

Cheers,

Stewie.

avalon beach nsw...
Level Contributor
609 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Thanks Deb for your informative JRB. This is the first I have heard of Pandora in Phuket. Did you see it everywhere? Do you think it is the real thing (silver?).

We leave next Mon and have booked Mai in for a day whilst there. Did you find him good and where is Tung Ka restaurant?

Thanks, Tracey

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Hello deb,

Which dentist did you use please?

Thankyou

Paul

ballarat
Level Contributor
263 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Hi stewie

Bushrangers is on rat u thid road it is opposite the markets just before juncelylon. Its a great little spot for just a drink or eating, they have pool tables and play the footy and rugby on there big screen. Do a great mussman curry.

Hi tracy

yes the pandora are silver. the ones in ocean plaza are cheaper than the stall on beach road bt the guy on beach road has some lovely beads and charms.All prices were set so you dont have to haggle.

Mai is lovely we have used him a few times, make sure you have some idea of where you want to go and he will work out the bet way to do the trip. Tung ka is in phuket town and if around there area at lunch time stop ther for lunch as it well worth it.

Hi Paul

we used Sawasdee dental clinic it is just off rat u thid road opposite 2 black sheep just up from bangla there are gold shops on both corners. Denis is Australian and loves and chat his wife is the dentist she is lovely. we went into a few dentist to check them out and found them all quite competive price wise and all looked safe.

Cheers deb

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Hi Deb,

Great JBR!! I just want to know what Steve thought about the crickets? One of these years I am going to have some .lol.

Lindy.

Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Hi Deb,

Great JBR thanks! Are the pandora charms genuine or just copies? Also where abouts in Ocean Plaza is Pandora sold and where is Ocean Plaza? 8 more sleeps!

Thanks Caity

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Hi Deb

Thanks again for the great read, you do now realise that the kids are now totally permanent stuck with you LOL! Would you mind if I asked how would you compare the Duangjitt with The Mercure?

Cheers

Tiff xxx

Aussie
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Hi Deb,

I looked for the Pandora charms whilst there and had no luck!! Obviously didn't look hard enough. How much did you pay per night for the Mecure and did this include breakfast?

Cheers

Karin

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Hi Deb

Great report, another hotel query, which type of room did you stay in at Mercure?

RB2
Perth WA
Level Contributor
648 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR 15th -30th June

Hey Deb, great report, glad you's had a great time.

I have taken heed of your eating recomendations, a couple we have never tried but will next month when we are there...Ronnie.