We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our trip report

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Topic
Our trip report

Thailand

24th June

Arrived in Bangkok from HCMC for our flight to Phuket. The day was just spent travelling. Arrived in Phuket to rain. Really disappointed as we had had little rain over the last 2 weeks. Taxi from airport to Patong Merlin about 420bt. Met my sister and her friends as they were staying at the Holiday Inn. Off to Bangla rd. then ping pong show. Enough said.

We hired motorbikes while we were there from Anzac Bar in Otop markets.150bt per day. Julian has a motorbike licence and we also got an international one before we went. Saw many people being pulled up and checked for licence but we weren’t . Got to see much of the island this way.

Big Buddha, great restaurant on edge of cliff just down from Kata lookout., Prom Thep cape, Chalong bay, Surin beach,

Spent one day on Captain Marks sailing trip. Had a good day but my sisters friend wasn’t at all well. It also poured just as we were coming back to the pier and we got drenched.

Went to the Friday BBQ and had a good time. Julian climbed the pole.

Had fun with the Gibbons at Ko Chang and really enjoyed having a drink and playing with Charlie and Lumlai sp.

Our friends arrived half way through our 10 night stay and we enjoyed showing them around the island. Hired a Budget rent a car with insurance for 1500bt for 24 hours. Went to the floating seafood restaurants at Lae hin port . Thanks Cathy and Gary for the directions. Unfortunately we missed the turn off and ended up in phuket town. A motorbike taxi showed us the way and organised our parking and got a long tail for us. We were a bit sus when we got to the restaurant as it smelled a bit. But we had a fantastic meal and all agreed that it was a fantastic place to go.

Went to the dentist that I had read about near the Paradise hotel and had 1 filling Julian had one replaced and a clean all for $145. Our friends had laser whitening and veneers and a bridge and fillings for about $1500. Really happy with the work done and will return here again.

Had 2 facials at Junceylon in my opinion the Tokoyo one is better than the French one. Had many foot massages and body massages. Pedicure and had one acrylic nail replaced. (disaster) I think I could have done a better job. Had eyelash extensions done and wouldn’t bother again as they annoyed me and it hurt getting it done.

Bought a beautiful leather bag in Bangla Rd. on right hand side if you are walking toward the beach nearer to the department store. I really think that we looked at every bag in Phuket and the quality of this one was really good. Cost 2500bt.

Ate at No 6, The red boat ( really good) Chang rai seafood ( great) Qwality Indian (okay) Seafood restaurant on the beach near Impania hotel.(good) The name of the restaurant that over looks Kata Noi beach on the cliff is really good and the views are to die for. You sit with you feet dangling over the edge of the cliff at a bench table. If anyone know the name can you please let me know.

The weather improved as the week went on and we ended up with about 7 days without rain.

The best exchange rate we got was 31.7.

If anyone has any questions that I can help with I will be happy to help.

Pam

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our trip report

Thanks Pam,

I enjoyed reading your report.Riding the bikes is a great way to get around, I love the sights, sounds, and smells you get on a bike.

Lindy.

Auckland, NZ
Level Contributor
57 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our trip report

Hi Pam, thanks for your report, it's filled with great info.

I'm organising a surprise romantic getaway for my partner and I in September and know that he'd love to hire a motorbike. As it's a surprise, he won't be able to get an international licence before we leave but he does have a motorcycle licence. Is that sufficient? Alternatively, are you able to apply for an international licence there if needed?

Thanks and regards

Becky

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Krabi Town, Cape Panwa, Rawai
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our trip report

Hi Pam,

Great report. I think the name of the restaurant is The Small Viewpoint Restaurant and bar that overlooks Kata Noi beach. My hubby would not sit near the edge afraid of heights. Really good band at night though and fantastic food.I often used to look up at this place from kata noi and wonder what it was so one day we went and after that could not keep away the mossaman curry here is to die for.Great for watching the sunset.

Julie

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our trip report

Pam thanks so much for the report. i have not heard about that restaurant with the benches before and that does sound very interesting. Will have to add that to the list.

I appreciate the info and sounds like you enjoyed yourself.

Wen

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our trip report

Hi Pam, great report, glad you enjoyed your trip. Will cross the eyelash extensions off my list for next time, doesn't sound pleasant at all. Lee

Perth
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our trip report

Hi Pam,

Thanks for your trip report.

Good to see you explored the island to see the sights.

Cheers,

Stewie.

7. Re: Our trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 08:19